914 door locks

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

den 912de
DDK slapper chatter

914 door locks

Post by den 912de »

Hi there

Our 'new' 914 does not lock/we do not have keys. We are looking to get two door lock barrels refurbished to take keys (preferably the ignition key and we would like to make copies), and also we could do with a boot key.

Any ideas or recommendations for getting this work done in the UK (rather than sending stuff to the US)?

Many thanks!

Kate/Brian
1971 914/6 GT replica in Viper Green - #36
1970 914/6 - matching numbers in Adriatic Blue - in restoration in the USA
1970 911 - matching numbers, arrived from the USA, restoration in progress
LMR
DDK slapper chatter

Re: 914 door locks

Post by LMR »

I changed the wafers over in my door locks to match the ignition key, which was fairly painless.

If you do find someone who can do this service professionally, please share the details as I still have the boot lock to do.
Porsche 964 1993
Porsche 944 1986 - sold
Porsche 914 1972
nrc914
DDK slapper chatter

Post by nrc914 »

Hi Brian & Kate

Don't tell me you've actually managed to get one of them back to the UK!! If so we need to see some pictures.

Found this article on 914World which may help - http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php

Also I seem to remember Alan at Canford Classics mentioned he could rekey locks some time back or I bet Darren C or Kevin have done it before.

Hope you're both well.

Regards
Nathan

1975 914/4 1.8 (Needing Resto!)
2008 Cayenne GTS
1993 993 Carrera 2
1967 VW Beetle 1300 (In loads of pieces!)
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Hi Brian & Kate,

As Nathan suggests, yes I have rebuilt these lock barrels to fit the cars original ignition key, thus reducing down the number of keys to 1 when using secondhand locks with different keys.
Funny enough I just did this on my 944 a couple of months ago too and the lock barrel is almost identical to the 914.

The problem you have is NOT having any key for your locks.
You need the key to insert so the tumblers line up and you can withdraw the barrel from the handle casting.
Once out you can remove tumblers and tiny springs, swap around and/or file the tumblers to match your ignition key, re assemble and put back in the handle, job done, one key fits all.

I've had the issue of no key for a second hand lock a few times. If you have an array of old keys sometimes you can get lucky by fiddling around trying to get a random key to turn the lock with the cam on the back unscrewed & removed. Once you can turn it (even just slightly), hold it in that position and you can get the barrel to pull out.
Otherwise I used a very Old Skool locksmith (most high end antique dealers will know one) to pick the lock and get the barrel out for me.

It's an easy job to set the tumblers to one key once you've done it a few times :wink:

Do it at a table holding the lock in an old ice cream or tupperware tub as you do it with good lighting and watch out when you remove the tumblers as the springs are very tiny and easily lost.

Good luck
@classiccarguru1
Green Ernie
Married to the DDK

Post by Green Ernie »

Hi Brian and Kate, I took my old ignition key to Timpsons and they cut me a new one. I had bought a new genuine Porsche replacement key from The Porscheshop in Halesowen on ebay for £24.99, same as old 911/912. Timpsons will not cut a blank bought elsewhere but they do not have suitable blanks to sell you. The chap in the shop cut my blank for free in two mins and would not take any payment but said it was not company policy etc.
If you look on 914 World and put "locks" into search you will find a really good thread with pics on how to do this.
I am going to match all my keys to the ignition switch this winter.

Cheers

Matt
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

These guys did my keys. I too had no key to start with. It's a father son business and they're nice people and good at their job.

http://car-locksmiths-cardiff.co.uk

All safe is the company
1974 Porsche 914
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

Hello Brian & Kate,

Your lock barrels are fine and match the ignition key.

The problem is on No.36 is that on the inside door panel the standard lock and open the door lever has been removed and a pull cord added which opens the door in its place.
Inside on the door catch and release mechanism parts have been removed and the new inside door release cord are getting in the way, so when you turn the key in the lock it does not move much as it is hitting the cord mount release.

You need to put the standard door release and lock lever parts back on the inside door card and remove the cord release so you can lock your car.
914 Daily driver since 1990
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

You gleaned all that from the original post Kev? :?

Boy you're good :)
@classiccarguru1
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

Darren C wrote:You gleaned all that from the original post Kev? :?

Boy you're good :)
You already knew that Darren
David

1973 914 zambezi green
1972 911T (lhd 71E engine)sadly sold