Definitely NOT a Porsche

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Definitely NOT a Porsche

Post by sladey »

The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by haasad »

That's my car. .....
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
haasad

Post by haasad »

[url=https://postimg.org/image/8hakwjur3/]Image[/ur

OK sussed it now. So she's on the road. I'm going to have the wheels refinished in dark red to match the interior ( which isn't finished yet). Also a Pete Farmer hardtop in red too. It's fun to drive but I need to fit the smaller brake master cylinder and sort the geo, left turns seem to involve the car really taking a sudden turn in but rights are fine , it's so simple if won't be anything major. Some scuttle shake on bumpy lanes and a harsh ride but very involving.

Andy
ddk member# 1527
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Very tasty for sure Andy.
White hard top?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
haasad

Post by haasad »

Red hardtop to match the wheels and interior...not just yet though . new septic tank soak-aways took precedence....obviously. Pete Farmer is near me in Salisbury so I'm going to pop over there to see his stuff , its apparently really good and I met Pete at a local car do , he seems a nice guy.
ddk member# 1527
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Lovely looking car Andy (not that I would expect anything else :wink: ) - they can be a lot of fun !

I've had a 100/6 & a 100/4 BN2 - although both were a loooong time ago ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

That looks really good! I have a 62 3000 also with a denis welch engine, fast road cam, forged pistons, ali head, oil catch tank and triple weber 45's. Running gear is poly all round, dual master cylinders, uprated shocks, panhard rod, front and rear anti roll bars, stiffened chassis as per the 'round the world' rally cars, exhaust raised into the passenger sill/door (final works mod) and ali bodywork . Its basically a late works spec replica without the hard top.

Drives really nicely, hellishly quick (although as you say it is all relative) but i have an ongoing problem with overheating. After a fast road section, the car will overheat pretty quickly in traffic despite upgraded engine fan, kenlowe, triple core radiator and oil cooler and works style wing vents. I am fine as long as the car is moving!

Do you have any overheating problems and if not, what sort of cooling system are you running?
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
haasad

Post by haasad »

Hi thanks all. My car is on twin 2 inch SU'S and has an underslung side pipe but otherwise sounds like yours . Mines running at 160 to 170 and warms up to 200 210 sitting in traffic. I've got the same rad as you in copper. A coolant recovery tank. I fitted the later rad ducts and stoneguards. I've blanked unnneccesay holds in the rad bulkhead and blanked across the rad to grill. No vents no electric fan . I will be closing the bottom of the rad to the front shrout and between the chassis rails to the sump pan soon. I do have an oil cooler and extra holes in the front shroud to get air to it.

Andy
ddk member# 1527
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

i have the rad ducting as well. Thinking of fitting ali rad. Runs about 170 in motion, will boil off if sits in traffic especially on a hot day or after a long run.

I really like the non-bumpered look, i have done the same except for rally style overriders at the back - makes parking a little less stressful!! Think the black paint scheme and with red wheels will be stunning. I went for dull dull dull colorado red but that was the car's original colour and i was originally building it as a works replica to do some historic rallying which never happened but that's a different story!

Estimate around 200bhp at the flywheel vs the 125 [optimistically] quoted by the factory. You must be on something similar but when i had my engine done, Welch's wouldnt quote a bhp figure so that's just a guess. Did they quote you a figure?

I suppose i could put it on a rolling road but that requires organisational skills i dont posses......
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
haasad

Post by haasad »

Personally I'd steer clear of alloy rads. Copper is way more thermally efficient at heat transfer. Do you have a DW fan and is the water pump a real quality item with ghe correct clearances to the block internals. I think it's meant to be less than 3/8 inch.
I don't care about the HP figure. I'll participate rather than compete in hill climbs so it's immaterial to me.
Next mission is find the correct Austin rosette transfer for the period to put on the wings.
ddk member# 1527
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

Andy

Your temperature figures are the same as mine and boiling isn't that common. I think I'd stick with it as it is and accept that it'll need water if you're on the continent or out in very hot weather, which you won't be because of cockpit heat.

FWIW. The original 100/6 gave about 84bhp and the later 12 port head a little over 100.

The BJ8 claimed 148 and 167 lbs/ft at about 3000.

Mine has a BJB cam, 10 to 1 compression and as near to a 1965 works head as an ex employee from Abingdon can remember. Piper reprofiled the camshaft (standard) and it's all balanced. It produces 188lbs/ft torque at 2560 rpm and 138bhp at 4296rpm on a very conservative rolling road. It has a BJ7 exhaust that is throttling it so, if I could stand the row, the front half of a BJ8 system would probably give over 150. I'll get a system made at some stage.

I have a servo and standard brakes that are quite powerful if you treat them with respect, but pads only last about 2,500 to 3000 miles.

My son has pinched the car and he did 2,400 trouble free miles round Europe in it last year and that's what they're best for. They're good tourers and not such good sports cars. Drive them fast and they're a bit unpredictable, brakes and handling wise.