Sitting with Chris Turner

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

yoda
I need to get out more!

Re: Sitting with Chris Turner

Post by yoda »

Hope you are feeling ok Chris, one of the true gentlemen in the Porsche world.
The force is strong in this one ......
pht9
DDK forever

Post by pht9 »

Best wishes Chris
Slope330
I luv DDK!

Post by Slope330 »

there s nothing fresh i can add,i wish i could ............
daily driver 930 SE
currently working through total rebuild '71 2.2 s
caring for '73 2.4 s
recent past;

993 cup;rs cs ; rs ;c2;gt2 ;gt2cs
'76 930, 3.0
'74 3.0 rs
'72/3 2.7 rs ;2.4 E;2.4 E Targa
'71 2.2 s
womble912
DDK addict

Post by womble912 »

Dear DDK Family,

I have spent the last 5/6 years visiting Chris in NW London on a regular basis with one problem or another! I consider his workshop my second home and think of him as a father figure as I lost my own father at a young age. He has always given me fantastic impartial advice on many matters and remains a brilliant engineer. It has been a real honour to be in his company and watch him build engines, gearboxes and share a joke. I would like to wish Chris and Suzanne lots of love and my prayers are with you.
Maz
scalino65
DDK rules my life!

Post by scalino65 »

Chris
I am so sorry to hear that you aren't well. Last time I saw you, was at your workshop in January as we went through my front suspension and valve gapping. As in the past I actually had to force you to accept any money! What a difference to half of the Porsche people out there! But that's the point isn't it? I appreciate that you are fortunate enough to earn your living from the cars that we all love but it never feels like that to me...you are an enthusiast first and foremost. every little tip that you pass on, every time you answer the phone and give your thoughts on a Porsche issue seems to me to be not with the prospect of earning a few quid but to genuinely try to help out another enthusiast.
The Fairmile meet is a brilliant event for us from SW London. All down to your organisation and enthusiasm to create a little community in our corner of the Porsche world. I've met some lovely people through that meet and it's wonderful to know that every third Wednesday we have that meet. Too often I don't make it, but I know you'll be there, first at the bar and generously buying drinks and chatting with everyone.
Then the orange tree every Christmas. Pretty much the only Christmas party worth attending! Actually, it's probably the only one I get invited to, but it's also the only one I'd want to be invited to! A great chance to catch up with Porsche friends and a lovely evening, all down to you and Suzanne.
I love the stories that you told me about your time in Fleet Street, how your boss realised you spent half your time in Porsche related activities and pushed you out into a proper career! The mileage allowances now a thing of the past!
Fight to get well Chris, we need you! And a massive thank you for all your efforts so far in making the ownership of these fantastic cars even more enjoyable.
Best wishes
Will
72911E
I luv DDK!

Post by 72911E »

I have to add my name to the list too.

From the first introduction to Chris, I had no idea he knew my late father and worked on his 356's when he started out back in the Acton days. He still remembered him nearly 30 years later like it was yesterday.

Super guy and happy to help out, lend/out equipment, parts etc.....no payment accepted but he never turns down a bottle of red!

Chris thinking of you. Best wishes

Derek
'72 911E Coupe RHD
'72 911S Coupe RHD
DarthMJH
I luv DDK!

Post by DarthMJH »

Like Maz since buying my 911, I was a regular visitor to Chris's garage for fixing the car and more often than not just a chat. There was always a great selection of cars he was working on that I could look at. Chatting to Chris is great he always has brilliant interesting stories to tell. He never complained, me turning up unannounced for a chat, as he is such a lovely wonderful, genuine, helpful guy. Often like myself people would turn up to see how Chris was and for a chat. Also customers that have or had Porsche's worked on by Chris would turn up with there other classic cars for him to have a look at, and as always obliging Chris would work on them.

A similar tale to 'jb'. I had an appointment at Center Gravity on a Monday and whilst getting petrol on the Sunday the gearbox joint disintegrated. An SOS call to Chris and he opened up his garage for me and fitted a replacement he had in stock. Trying to pay for this was near impossible.

I really miss our chats Chris and if you are reading this, if you need anything please let me know.

My thoughts are with you and your family.
Mike
1973 RHD 911T
1995 993 C4
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

If anybody reading this hasn't met Chris or indeed doesn't know the depth of his contribution to the Classic Porsche community use the search facility and type Turner - actually just do search it anyway even if you do know him and read it all

You'll get 25 pages - there's the odd mention of a different Turner but 95% of those 25 pages speak of Chris Turner and his knowledge, assistance, great photography, unwillingness to take payment, enjoyment of a glass of red and generally just what a top guy he is.

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
orkneydave
DDK slapper chatter

Post by orkneydave »

I'm one of those that hasn't had the pleasure of meeting Chris (or actually anyone else on here!), but have seen his name come up in many posts and enjoyed seeing his trackside pictures!

I'm sad that I haven't have the pleasure of taking a car to Chris to service or fix.

Chris, your contributions on here and the numerous stories of the assistance you have given other forum members are one of the reasons that I (and I imagine others) were drawn to this forum. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Best wishes,

Dave
Dave Neil

1972 Land Rover Series 3 (Instagram @alfredthe109)
1972 MGB GT (mostly in bits!)
Wanted: Half decent early 914
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Real gentleman and legend. Helped me on a number of occasions out of a tight spot and wouldn't take any money. What shows most is his love for Porsche

Sent from my X5pro using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

I recently called Chris to just "chat Porsche". Unfortunately i didn't get time to recall the following:

Chris, if your reading this, one of the funniest day's i have had in the last couple of years is when you tried to flog me the 72 Targa that you had "recently acquired" as you put it. The smirk on your face when i looked at the car in your workshop was a joy to behold. I knew then that you wouldn't have been a good salesmen. "it's all there" you said... :)

it makes me smile every time i think of how you managed to sell that piece of junk for your asking price.....!

A true gent. In my thoughts.

Dave
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
Beaky59
DDK Newbie

Post by Beaky59 »

Hi Chris, I once had an emergency and you were the nearest that without hesitation would make time to fix my car.

I remember you were was very accommodating, helped me in a tight spot, came over as a real nice genuine guy and very knowledgable on air cooled motors.

My prays are with you.
Last edited by Beaky59 on Sun May 07, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Hi Chris,

My abiding memory is of the PCGB WOTY at The Palace, Torquay - it was gone 2-00 in the morning when a dozen of us went skinny dipping.

Heer Branston bought us all a Large Cognac and, I think it was John Hearn that took the bedraggled group Photo on the Main Staircase

That was 1986 - a mere 30 Porsche Years ago

I bet the management would not allow that to happen now - `Elf and Safety yer know`

(I have looked everywhere for that photo today - sorry mate, just cannot find it but have now delegated Auntie Viv to turn the house up-side-down)

Thinking of you and the way it was

Mike
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

We saw Chris at Brooklands earlier in the year and I'm sure he was having a chuckle at how we've now got 4 offspring. It was good to catch up and I hope he's comfortable.

I remember him skimming the recently fitted discs on my 993 with his on car disc lathe before Charlotte and I went to Devon (the first time that I met her mother) - the brakes were brilliant after that l. I also remember him spiritedly driving his diesel Skoda around Goodwood a few times at Paul's 50th bash; that tickled me.

In my toolbox I have the alternator bearings he replaced twice in Lucky (Charlotte's swb car) - it was the washer cover that caused the second replacement, not Chris's work, but he graciously wouldn't take payment.

And I still look out Dollis Hill on the Jubilee Line tube map; the station to get off at when collecting your car from his workshop.
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

Mitch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mitch »

Chris, you're a legend!! :salute:

All the very best and take courage from your family and many friends.

Mitch