Not another bl**dy Alfa ! ... ?!!

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Not another bl**dy Alfa ! ... ?!!

Post by Lightweight_911 »

There are a few 'updates' since my last post but, unfortunately, I lost quite a few pictures recently when a laptop got stolen (I usually back up to an external hard drive every couple of days - but 'sod's law' I hadn't for a couple of weeks) ... :evil:

I had applied to DVLA for details of the previous owners &, eventually. after many weeks I received the information.

There had been a few registration number changes over the years ('personal' plates) but unfortunately DVLA told me that its original registration number was no longer on the system ... I'm still trying to retrieve this so in the meantime I applied for (& received) a suitable age-related number.

Another 'superfluous' part I had decided to remove was the sump guard - seen here in one of the previous owner's photographs:

Although it sets out to (& obviously does) protect the aluminium sump, it reduces ground clearance by approx 1in - meaning that it's more likely to ground on ramps/speed bumps etc !

Plus, being made from heavy gauge steel, it adds a fair amount of unwanted weight - & makes oil changes more awkward to carry out - so off it came.

It was then apparent that the sump had acquired some damage in the past - which is presumably why the guard was fitted.

I'm used to driving cars with limited ground clearance & the Spider has quite a 'generous' amount of clearance in my view so I preferred to ditch the sump guard.

The 105-series engines use a 2-piece aluminium sump - there is a separate finned sump 'pan' attached by 17 perimeter bolts to the main sump body.

This part on my car had suffered several scrapes & broken fins & although it wasn't split or leaking, I set out to source a replacement.

New ones were available from the usual classic Alfa parts stockists but at around £150 (+ VAT) I felt I could do better so turned to ebay.

After a quick search I found a guy advertising a selection of used Spider parts - it turned out that he also had a good sump (both upper & lower parts) for £70 - & I subsequently sold the unwanted upper part plus my original (damaged) lower parts on ebay for £40 ! :wink:

- next up was the fitting of a suitable set of alloy wheels ... :wink:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Lightweight_911

There are relatively few readily-available alloy wheel deigns that suit 'boat-tail' Spiders &, in my opinion, by far the best looking is the Cromodora 'Daytona' so I ordered a set from EB Spares.

Then it was off up to Longstone Tyres to have them fitted with a set of 185/70 x 14 Pirelli CN36 tyres :

- & this is what they look like on the car:

:)
Andy

Lightweight_911

During a long weekend away down to Dorset, the car ran faultlessly for the 600 mile round trip, apart from an exhaust leak which developed where a weld failed at the joint between the centre & tail sections.

Although overall the (tailor-made) stainless exhaust system appeared to be in good condition & could probably have been re-welded, it was over 10 years old, so I decided to replace the whole system.

The Alfaholics system looked to be very high quality & promised improved breathing (backed up by dyno tests) so I opted for the full system including the beautifully fabricated manifold.

The exhaust replacement was straightforward - only the bolts joining the existing manifold to the down pipes were seized/required cutting - & everything on the new system lined up/fitted together perfectly.

When you open the bonnet now, it's much nicer to see that lovely stainless steel manifold rather than the old (ugly) cast iron version:

- before:

- & after:

The pictures are a bit misleading - don't worry - the w/washer motor isn't as close to the manifold as it looks ! ...

Andy

Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Very cool
Love the wheels
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Gorgeous
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

I have to admit that I have never found this model appealing in looks or design but I will admit that you have, once again, done a great job in improving your car Andy. Every car doesn’t float everyone’s boat and you have had some cars that I have ached to own but sadly this isn’t one of them. Actually, when I think about it, they do remind me of a small boat.

Still enjoy reading about your work Andy and everything you have done here is without doubt an improvement and I do love the colour. Keep the updates coming.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

A lovely car and you're making it even nicer. I've had a 74 GTV since 1986 (two different ones) and an 85 Spider (and a GTV6), so I really like your Campy CD35 rep wheels and like you, I eschewed the sump guard years ago. And while that AHolics header is sweet I'll stick-up for the stock two piece cast iron manifold, really rather elegant, especially for a factory part but that's true of many Alfa components, the sump included. They look better when they're not painted silver! Best wishes, John CT/USA
Ian Gunney

Post by Ian Gunney »

Andy, do you know who the original supplying dealer was? Car looks very pretty and I love the colour.

I've gone with the Alfaholics system for the Veloce - although I am thinking of having the manifolds coated...

Ian
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
Lightweight_911

210bhp wrote:I have to admit that I have never found this model appealing in looks or design ... Every car doesn’t float everyone’s boat and you have had some cars that I have ached to own but sadly this isn’t one of them.

Regards
Mike
No problems Mike - I know that many on here will agree with you !

I bought this car with a specific European trip in mind - hopefully later this year - to drive down to the South of France, over the Alps & into central/southern Italy.

It will possibly (probably ?) be sold after that as there are others 'on the list' - some don't always live up to expectations but better to have sampled such cars than to always be wondering ... :wink:
jjeffries wrote:... while that AHolics header is sweet I'll stick-up for the stock two piece cast iron manifold, really rather elegant, especially for a factory part but that's true of many Alfa components, the sump included. Best wishes, John CT/USA
Don't worry John - any changes I make from the original spec will be fully (& easily) reversible - I have retained the original 2-piece cast iron manifold.

Ian Gunney wrote:Andy, do you know who the original supplying dealer was?

Ian
Ian - the car was delivered to Alfa Romeo(GB) in Edgware Road, NW2 on 31.07.1969.

The first owner registered the car on 1st May 1970 so there was a gap of 9 months ...

I can't remember if Alfa Romeo (GB) were Dealers as well as Concessionaires back then or whether they just acted as the Official Importers - either way it looks as though the car was either used as a demonstrator or, possibly due to the unusual colour, lay 'languishing' forlornly in the showroom waiting for a buyer who 'thought outside the box' to come along ...

Andy

Ian Gunney

Post by Ian Gunney »

Funnily enough my car was delivered to Alfa GB in May 67 but not registered (through Rob Walker's garage in Corsley) until the November.
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

I may not have serious envy for the car but I certainly do for that planned road trip Andy. Sounds like a great adventure.

Of course I have completely different thoughts about your other Alfa. It’s a real head turner.

Enjoy the trip. Post some pics if you get chance.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
Lightweight_911

One of the parts of any car that I buy which invariably gets changed is the steering wheel - as some on here will know, I have a 'thing' about steering wheels ...

I've never really liked the std wheel on the 1750/2000 Spider, finding the wood rim slightly too 'fat' - so what would be a better wheel to replace it with ?

Any s/wheel that I fit to one of my cars has to be (or at least look) period-correct - plus I feel that 'open' cars of this era invariably look much better with a woodrim wheel, so any leather rim wheel, no matter how nice, wasn't a consideration ...

Being a car of Italian origin, the most obvious choice would be a Nardi - but it couldn't be any Nardi (one of my 'pet hates' is to see a modern 'fat rim' Nardi wheel on a 356, Alfa Spider/GTV, etc).

At any given time I've usually got ~ a dozen steering wheels of various makes/types (I've probably bought/sold getting on for 1000 steering wheels over the past 15 yrs or so :shock: :shock: ) & it just so happened that I had a suitable candidate ... an 'as new' 1969-dated 38cm dished Nardi woodrim wheel :wink:

However, being a (Fiat) Factory-optioned wheel it came riveted to the hub - meaning that fitment to my Spider wouldn't be a straightforward job.

I wanted the wheel installation in my car to look as if it could have been a Dealer option so wasn't prepared to utilise an aftermarket hub/boss, hence I started looking for another original 105 series steering wheel to act as a 'donor'.

I found a suitable (cheap) wheel in Italy - from a Giulia Super - so when it arrived I set about drilling out the rivets & removing the hub.

* Unfortunately the photos I took at each stage of the steeing wheel hub swap are amongst those that have been 'lost' ... :(

The same procedure carried out on the Nardi wheel left me with most of the parts needed for installation in my Spider, so after drilling/countersinking a few additional holes in the donor hub, I was able to attach the wheel to the hub using countersunk s/s machine screws, these being hidden by the separate alloy 'trim ring'.

The next problem I faced when I temporarily fitted the wheel to the car was an unsightly gap of ~ 2 in between the back of the hub & the upper face of the steering column housing.

Amongst my collection of miscellaneous steering wheel-related parts I just happened to have a few of the black plastic 'spacers' found on the back of Porsche 914 steering wheels (which are removed when these wheels are destined for early 911 fitment) & so, after trimming one to the desired length, it was fitted to the rear face of the donor hub & wheel trial-fitted again.

Bingo !

It looked just right :

The final piece of the jigsaw was to sort out a suitable working horn push.

I found that, with a little bit of modification to the donor hub, I was able to utilise the original Nardi horn push but really would have preferred one with an Alfa badge/logo ... so as a temporary measure I ordered a couple of self-adhesive thin aluminium wheel centre badges off ebay.

It's not ideal but will do until I can find something better:

- & the overall effect:

Andy

Lightweight_911

The car was fitted with a set of 'lap & diagonal' static belts which were in excellent condition having been refurbished by Quick Fit for the previous owner.

However, the way that the rear mounts attached through the vinyl on the rear 3-qtr panels looked 'untidy' since it caused the vinyl to rumple, creating a gap & exposing the sheet metalwork behind.

I thought that this could be probably be rectified - or at least improved - by having the mount behind the vinyl & passing the belt through it.

However, I felt that something more than merely cutting a slot in the vinyl was needed ...

Once again I resorted to utilising some of my highly versatile 'black textured ABS sheet'.

A card (letter box shape) template was made up, transferred to the ABS & cut out.

After measuring/double-checking & measuring/double-checking again, I cut a slim rectangular slot in the vinyl where I thought the most likely exit for the shoulder belt should be ... & luckily I got it right !

I then used a couple of short black self tappers/spire nuts to attach the ABS (letter box) escutcheon plate, sandwiching the vinyl between this & a similarly-shaped piece of stiff mounting board behind.

After passing the end of the belt through, I was then able to attach the mount behind the vinyl.

The end result, although not perfect, looked much better:

To complete the job, the original hole in the vinyl was blanked off using a suitably-sized rubber grommet.

Andy

210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Devilish work Andy. Looks much better on the wheel and the belts.
I think I have one of those steering wheels somewhere...... :scratch:

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Loving the improvements Andy but most looking forward to details of the trip! 8)