Your choice of mobile phone mount...?

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

ch3tman
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by ch3tman »

For those who use sat nav on your mobiles, I'd Interested to see how you mount your mobile phone in your car. I dislike anything stuck to the windscreen, so would be interested in any alternative/innovation solutions.

The best I've come across is this from Rennline, for all air-cooled 911s:

(install video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx99G-ZXqDs

Sadly it was only in production for a month or two before being pulled earlier this year... I missed out on it.

The Kenu Airframe I've had for the past couple of years has been ok, but not great.

Any other ideas?
silver911
Married to the DDK

Re: Your choice of mobile phone mount...?

Post by silver911 »

Use one of the Socshe Magnetic magic mounts... strong suction cap to top of dashing front of the speaker grille on mine.... stick rare earth magnetic plate to back of phone and away you go..

http://www.scosche.com/magicmount-pro-d ... hone-mount

Phone ( 6+) doesn't fall off even whilst touring Scotland :shock:
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

Maybe we shouldn't have let 993's in after all.......
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
ch3tman
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by ch3tman »

Thank you silver911, that's precisely what I had almost settled on. It's a little unsightly in comparison to the neat Rennline item above though! Great to know its handled a larger phone and without problems. For anyone reading, note there is the Magic Mount range, and the Magic Mount PRO range, and it's the latter that are the newer/stronger ones.

There are two from Socshe's PRO range that appeal:

Though like yourself it is the latter I was thinking of going for, for maximum stability.

Not sure what car you have as you refer to the "top of dashing front of the speaker grille" :?: but in my 993 I was thinking of mounting it on the underside of the ashtray, using this approach:

So that it's accessible like this:

Based on your experience, do you think it's strong enough to hold 'upside down'?
ch3tman
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by ch3tman »

Mike wrote:Maybe we shouldn't have let 993's in after all.......
Apologies, I didn't realise this forum was for technical/mechanical threads only? Happy to delete the thread if I've misunderstood.

Nevertheless, thank you for your input, and of course, the warm welcome...
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I wouldn't worry about Mike, he's at 'that' age ;) :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

On the subject of mounts, I prefer a window based one , just in line with the top of the dash so I can quickly glance at the direction the road is heading ( useful on unknown country lanes at speed ) .
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

:lol: :lol: you might have to get used to the 'humour' here :roll:
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
silver911
Married to the DDK

Post by silver911 »

I have a LHD 72 car with a speaker grille in the centre of the dash top.. the mount sits on the non perforated part of the dash. Its there as I find it places the nav screen (I use Waze) in the most logical place for me to see it.... rather than looking down away from the road if it placed where you indicate....It also means the passenger can see it easily and with Waze add information as we see it.. such as accidents traffic etc.

I have not tried it upside down yet... might be worth it.

As it 'sticks' easily I'm happy to remove it when not needed and so its appearances less critical than for one permanently mounted...
ch3tman
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by ch3tman »

Thanks, silver911 - that's really helpful.
hot66 wrote:I wouldn't worry about Mike, he's at 'that' age ;) :lol:
...ah, that explains everything :lol:.
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

silver911 wrote:I have a LHD 72 car with a speaker grille in the centre of the dash top.. the mount sits on the non perforated part of the dash. Its there as I find it places the nav screen (I use Waze) in the most logical place for me to see it.... rather than looking down away from the road if it placed where you indicate....It also means the passenger can see it easily and with Waze add information as we see it.. such as accidents traffic etc.

I have not tried it upside down yet... might be worth it.

As it 'sticks' easily I'm happy to remove it when not needed and so its appearances less critical than for one permanently mounted...
Any chance of a photo of that, I too have a 1972 Lhd 911.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
redrobin911
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by redrobin911 »

For a really great free solution for smartphones - i.e. Samsung S7 and iPhone of similar size you will find that if you open the ashtray your phone will happily lightly "wedge" in place horizontally - I've used this loads of times and my phone has never dropped or fallen and also have decent line of vision - all this for nothing - would would have thought Porsche had thought of a smartphone holder back in 65..... Will take a pic later if anyone is interested?
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD
jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

redrobin911 wrote:For a really great free solution for smartphones - i.e. Samsung S7 and iPhone of similar size you will find that if you open the ashtray your phone will happily lightly "wedge" in place horizontally - I've used this loads of times and my phone has never dropped or fallen and also have decent line of vision - all this for nothing - would would have thought Porsche had thought of a smartphone holder back in 65..... Will take a pic later if anyone is interested?
I used to do this on my SC, and was well chuffed at getting something for nothing! Except that sometimes the spring loading on the tray would depress the phone's volume control, and you'd lose the sat nat voice without realising it, until you'd missed a turning.

Better still, safer and for next to nothing, (£5.59) is this Car Mount,Mpow Grip Magic Mobile Phone Cradle Air Vent Magnetic Phone Holder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z66LWDW/ ... eg94Rx2jbY

You put the magnetic piece inside the back cover of your phone, and push the universal grip end into your car air vent. Works a treat. No affiliation. Works for me.
ch3tman
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by ch3tman »

redrobin911 wrote:For a really great free solution for smartphones - i.e. Samsung S7 and iPhone of similar size you will find that if you open the ashtray your phone will happily lightly "wedge" in place horizontally - I've used this loads of times and my phone has never dropped or fallen and also have decent line of vision - all this for nothing - would would have thought Porsche had thought of a smartphone holder back in 65.....

Will take a pic later if anyone is interested?
That would be very useful, as I've tried with an iPhone 7 (very similar sized to the Samsung S7) with little luck in finding a stable yet visible spot.
Thank you in advance :wink:
redrobin911

Post by redrobin911 »

Before and after pics - std 911 astray with samsung S7 works better with a case/cover as protects the phone better and is a snugger fit. Also of note is to use a USB charger powered by the cigar lighter and in my car i've also fitted a period radio fitted with a 3.5m jack input so that you can "hear" the phone much better. This a stupidly cheap solution i.e. free

65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD