Project Blue Book

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

chief
Married to the DDK

Re: Project Blue Book

Post by chief »

Thanks for the positive responses. Sorry I've just posted stuff up, but I haven't had a great deal of time.

Going for the filler initially fuelled me with fear.....see what I did there!
But to be truthful it wasn't all that. The fact that the fuel tank can be shuffled a little takes the pressure off. Just getting the hole in the bonnet round and dollied with a sexy lip was the tricky bit!
h'Project Blue Book' - 'The Red Baron' - Amber Alert!
LMR
DDK slapper chatter

Post by LMR »

I hope you are keeping this stuff safely - all genuine Porsche items have a future value!!!
Porsche 964 1993
Porsche 944 1986 - sold
Porsche 914 1972
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

:lol: Phil, all swept up and poured into little jars to sell at the next Porsche meet....
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Great project - looking really good
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
hot66

Post by hot66 »

looks great :)

were you at Oulton in your 964 ? Recognise it from your 1st pic
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Thank you, and yes that was me at Oulton......not going fast enough to keep up with those GT boyz! I saw that many track side blue flashing lights, I thought I was being pulled over by the Police!!!!!!
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Just a few pictures of where i'm up to now....
So both sides done and the engine bay welding finished.
Briefly experimented with modified lights, but don't think it works....
Calipers have some back. Very shiny indeed!
So back in the garage and after a few hours of cussin the front legs finally came off.
Now scraping off underseal. Man what a job!
At least the car is getting lighter by the day!
LMR
DDK slapper chatter

Post by LMR »

I've seen this car close up - its superb!
Porsche 964 1993
Porsche 944 1986 - sold
Porsche 914 1972
sanjay
DDK slapper chatter

Post by sanjay »

Nice work Chief !

See you boys at the ZH for donuts, and the Bear for beer !!

Best

Sanjay
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Hi Sanjay,
Thanks!
Good to see you at Oulton Park....
Zuffenhaus and Doughnuts kinda go hand in hand nowadays :P
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

So, time to take out the pedel box and master cylinder along with associated pipe work.
Everything came out without a hitch. Even cracking the brake unions was a breazeeeee.....
plenty of fluff and another American coin.
Master cylinder will be changed for a larger bore version to suit the larger 911 vented front disc brakes.
So onto more scraping with a screw driver as it seems the only way to do this. It chips it off the body with minimal damage to the paint work.
I have to say it's a sh**** job and soul destroying, but it must be done. The car is getting lighter by the day!

Ok, I will put my hands up here and admit i've made a bit of a mistake. The drive shafts need to come out. I know that the hub nuts are torqued up to 300 foot pounds + and no way of getting them off up in the air. So I thought I would slit the nut to get it off. However! I over did it :oops:
Got the drive shaft out......but.
Over did it.....
Never mind. I guess I was tired :evil:
Anyway. The reason to get them out now was to check that all the splines line up with the new five stud hubs.
So a blob of red paint and a count up.
Drive shaft stub axle 37 splines, lovely.
Five lug hub 28 :o Sh**.......
Oh well back to the supplier.
As that little lot didn't go so well I thought i'd start mocking up the rear anti roll bar.
You basically replace the bottom shock bolts with ones with nice roundy knobs for the drop links to fit in. Then weld the red brackets to the underside of the boot floor. Then you need some strengthening plate welded from the top as well. This is why I need the drive shafts out. However more parts missing!!!!! no bar bushes and one drop link cup missing :nooo:
With that i've given up and come in to update this....
Early bath for me and the fire off a couple of harsh e-mails :grin:
All the best, and to Tim, enjoy sunshine!
Chief
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Saturday saw some slow progress....
It was more a case of measuring and figuring out how to create the best 5 lug rear conversion. I want this to be as factory as possible, i.e not re-drilling hubs etc. To this end, i've devised a cunning plan, a plan so cunning you could pin a tale on it and call it Le Renard!
So first off we need to stip down the CV joints. Here you can see after i've scrapped all the stinking grease off the spring/ circlip that keep the little bug*er from falling off.
Then it's just a case of using a drift and tapping off the joint.
Once off and cleaned up you are left with the drive shaft.

After much head scratching, internet research and measuring we end up with this combo.
What we have here are very narrow year specific parts. The 5 lug hubs are from an early 911 (1972-3) outer 5 lug hubs mated with 911SC stub axles.
Sat here on the bench next to the old stuff you can see everything matches. The height and dimensions are bang on :thumb:
Old stuff on the left and new old stuff on the right.
Now for the tricky bit (And you though this would be a breeze!)
The new old set up has 6 holes on the CV joint and the old has 4 :?
Now the plan is to use 944 CV joints which (if I get the right ones) have the right drive shaft spline count and 6 holes to suit the stub axle. HOWEVER they are wider....
I think it's 4mm. Doesn't sound like much I know, but remember that circlip in the first photo.......Arh, now you get it, right?
So, my idea is as follows....
You can see the circlip groove arrowed. Obviously the 944 joint being wider won't allow for the clip, so i'm going to lathe 4mm (2 red arrows) to allow the joint to slip further onto the shaft.
I will do this both ends to allow 944 CV joints to be at the gearbox end also. This will mean finding drive flanges for the box, but I think this is a neater solution and gives the added benift of CV's that can take at least 250 ponies. I think the standard ones are good for maybe 150-60 at best.
So I need to track down some more parts however I think this keeps everything neat, simple and tidy. I can build up both complete drive shaft assemblies and just store them for later in the build.
So, there we have it for the moment. I call this progress although not a great deal has happend, just one thing less to have to ponder :grin:

All the best gents,
Chief
Nicktune
DDK Newbie

Post by Nicktune »

Im just doing my 5 stud conversion Ive just found out that the boxster drive sub flange is the same as the 911 i have here so im useing those Im just ordering some boxster drive shafts to see how they will work the cv will be better any way as it not a bolt on drive flange its part of the cv like in most modern cars so no bolts to possible work loose , Ill be cutting the shafts down anyway as its not useing a porsche gearbox , but ill post some details up when i get time
I have a big pile of 944 bits that didnt quite work
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

That's very interesting Nick. I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat!
I'm going this route to keep it as close to the original as possible. The reason being I'm trying to create what I think the factory would have done if they built you an 'ST'.
Post us some pictures of your built. It sounds interesting!!
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

chief wrote: Sat here on the bench next to the old stuff you can see everything matches. The height and dimensions are bang on :thumb:
Old stuff on the left and new old stuff on the right.
Now for the tricky bit (And you though this would be a breeze!)
The new old set up has 6 holes on the CV joint and the old has 4 :?
Now the plan is to use 944 CV joints which (if I get the right ones) have the right drive shaft spline count and 6 holes to suit the stub axle. HOWEVER they are wider....
I think it's 4mm. Doesn't sound like much I know, but remember that circlip in the first photo.......Arh, now you get it, right?
So, my idea is as follows....
You can see the circlip groove arrowed. Obviously the 944 joint being wider won't allow for the clip, so i'm going to lathe 4mm (2 red arrows) to allow the joint to slip further onto the shaft.
I will do this both ends to allow 944 CV joints to be at the gearbox end also. This will mean finding drive flanges for the box, but I think this is a neater solution and gives the added benift of CV's that can take at least 250 ponies. I think the standard ones are good for maybe 150-60 at best.
Why don’t you use Volkswagen CV joints fitted to many of their cars, they are the same thickness as the original 914 ones, have six holes for bolts and also have the correct number of spines for the 914-4 drive shaft?
914 Daily driver since 1990