Starting from cold

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Starting from cold

Post by Kenyon »

DDK'ers wisdom sought... I'm having problems starting my 356 from cold (by that I mean if left unused for more than a few days).

To get her going I have to go through an extended process of turning her over, going away for 15 minutes and coming back a few times. Usually fires a little on the second try but won't run and then finally starts on the third try at which point we're fine.

Once started, there's no issue. Also starting the next day is fine too.

All the usual things have been checked / replaced (plugs, distributor cap, rotor arm, points, battery is strong). The fuel is new. Appreciate it sounds like I am flooding it but not sure why it should start on the first turn the next day.

Any thoughts appreciated. The easy fix is to use more I know!

Phil
Phil

1960 356B Silver
hot66

Re: Starting from cold

Post by hot66 »

sounds like the fuel is evaporating / returning to tank if being left . That process you go through sounds like its whats needed to prime up the carbs again ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Post by Kenyon »

Cheers James. Does seem to appear to be a bit of a fuel issue. There's definitely fuel in the fuel filter (appreciate that might have no bearing on it getting into the carbs and on).

Its just seems really odd!
Phil

1960 356B Silver
Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Post by Kenyon »

Actually, the more I think about it. Might be a technique issue!

I just read something on 356registry.com suggesting pumping the accelerator x 3 and immediately turning over the engine. I've tried a variety of approaches with different amounts of choke, accelerator. Will give that a go.
Phil

1960 356B Silver
Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Yes, pumping the accelerator before and even whilst starting it should help with starting.
It's what I do on the cab when it's sat for a while and seems to work even with 6 volt.
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I even pump the throttle on my 2.4S 3 times before starting ... and on an MFI car it does sweet FA :lol: .. in my case its just for luck / superstition :bigsmurf:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Ashley James »

My 356 is the same and pumping the accelerator helps. I had a TR3A and a Bristol 400 which also suffered, but not if I manually operated the fuel pump till the carburettors were full. Sadly there is no lever on the Porsche pump, but I've noticed on the 356 forum that people have fitted electric pumps as well or manual primer pumps that fit in the fuel line.

Modern petrol is much more prone to evaporation than the stuff that existed in the day. It doesn't matter with later cars because the fuel system is sealed, but not on ours.

At the moment I'm just pumping and cranking till it goes while I ponder on possible action.
Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Post by Kenyon »

I had a go at the 3 good pumps of accelerator. Then fire up on the third.

Success. Fired straight away then spluttered out, but after a bit of cranking went fine. Rather than the continual churning with no sense of starting. Going away. Recharging.

Also found that the left air filter housing was pretty loose. I wonder if the squirt of petrol in the carbs was the preferred method of previous owners.

Cheers

Phil
Phil

1960 356B Silver
roadiesean
DDK forever

Post by roadiesean »

I couldn't ever start my 912 and I asked Max Levell. Here's what I do.

When cold - 3 pumps foot on throttle about 1/4 opening the throttles and start. Always works when it's been regularly driven

when hot - no pumps. Just throttle open a crack.

When it's been sat - 6 pumps min then crack throttles and repeat about 6 times and the off she goes.

NEVER FAILS. AND THANKS TO THE LOVELY MAX LEVELL !!!