70T rolling resto / right date

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 70T rolling resto / right date

Post by Gary71 »

Good to see your car staying with you no matter where in the world you are. :)
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

That's one heck of a drill press there!

Love an early car in silver. Fell in love with one last year but the deal did not work out.
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

The rear suspension arms are back from enamelling and have been refitted together with some new rear brake lines and handbrake cable guides. They look much better than before and the machining work should reduce the high speed vibration that I originally thought was wheel balance or tyre flat spots (it wasn't as I replaced both and still had issues).

Meanwhile, I now have a NOVA form from HMRC and will follow the very timely guide in this month's Classic Porsche magazine to complete the import.

Paul
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

My engine has now been twin plugged and dyno'd at BS Motorsport. 260 bhp in a car that probably weighs in at under 100kg (not that I've actually weighed it) should be sufficient.

My exhaust is not looking very pretty, so I picked this one up from Andrew from his 911R parts sale (Thanks Andrew). I won't fit it until I have completed my UK registration process.

I also picked up a set of RHD H1 headlights from another DDK'er, Mark Fuller (Thanks Mark). I will use them for my registration process and then do some restoration work on them as they are already in good condition for 50 year old headlights.

I have also ordered an MPH speedometer sticker from Carbone to pass the UK registration process. I'm not sure that using a sticker will be approved, but I will give it a try first as I intend to get my dials fully restored next winter.

Now I'm just waiting for BS Motorsport to put my car back together and for an update from DVLA.

Paul
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I picked up my car last week from BS Motorsport. The weather has been far too wet to take it out for a proper test since I picked it up, but it now starts on the button and pulls really well right up to the red line.

Just got back home....

The torque and BHP curve. Really great torque.

My UK plates arrived on Saturday, so my car is now fully UK registered. Its a real shame the UK front plates are so huge in comparison to the Swiss ones.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I'm starting to fit my Turbo Thomas exhaust...

First off a bit of cleaning. From this....

....to this, with the old Dansk exhaust removed

And the car ready to fit the new one.

I'll order an RS lightweight rear bumper from EB Motorsport once I've tested the Turbo Thomas one, just in case I have any fitting issues or its too loud for my taste.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Turbo Thomas exhaust fitted. Its a bit louder than the original and a lot lighter. With all the rear panels remove the car feels might lighter and more responsive. I've ordered an RS Lightweight rear end from EB Motorsport, which should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, I dismantled my H1 headlights. There's quite a bit of corrosion, so I'm now looking for someone who is working at the moment and could restore them. Genius of the Lamp have temporarily closed. I found this company: https://vintage-headlamp-restoration.co.uk/ who also look like they do a very good job.

I can buy some of the replacement parts, such as the rims and rubber grommets, the long adjustment screws are available too from Auto Foreign Services, but only the 65mm screws, not the 105mm ones. Of course could just buy a repro set and put my original lenses in, which might be cheaper. I'll wait for a response from the headlamp resto company.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I fitted the new bumper, but weighed all the old parts first

Old Bumper
The horns
Valance

And the new bumper

I forgot to weigh the Turbo Thomas exhaust before I fitted it, but it was a lot lighter than the factory one. In total, including the exhaust, the saving is approx 20kg.
Last edited by PMNorris on Sun May 03, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

My RS lightweight bumper arrived from EB Motorsport. They made a custom cut out beneath the horns for the Turbo Thomas exhaust. It fitted fairly well.

However, whilst the length of the right and left bumper was perfect using the bolt holes provided, there was a gap between the rear valance and the bumper that was too large for the rubber to fill, so I moved the bumper in a bit, resulting in an issue with the length of the right and left bumper.

so I shortened them...

A bit of fibreglassing and filling

And now it fits perfectly

I just need to get it painted now
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Looking good although I'd be wary of how close the exhaust is to the bumper, you'll get a lot of discolouration from the hot exhaust.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Yes, its closer than planned. Now a couple of mm, whereas the plan was about 20mm. Once I tightened up the exhaust support strap the gap reduced, somewhat unsurprisingly. Might need a bit more fettling.

I've been doing a bit of research whilst I've been working from home. There is a lot of discussion around a 15mm gap, but EB Motorsport have come back to me and recommended 20mm, so I'll go with that.

Looking at the construction of the bumper, cutting the horns and taking a 20mm slice out of them to move them up a bit looks pretty straight forward. I think that if I remove the exhaust it will be easier to do the modifications on the car as there's plenty of space behind it.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

I spent quite a bit of time thinking about the best way to ensure a consistent 20mm spacing around the tailpipes, and then whilst on a slightly less inspiring conference call it came to me. So I grabbed a recent Amazon delivery box and started making a template. On VE day Friday I put my plan into action....

I started with cardboard circles with a radius 20mm larger than the exhaust tailpipe

Covered in thin card and clingfilm

3 sheets of fibreglass later I had the perfect tailpipe gap

Next I refitted the exhaust and then cut 20mm out of the bumper and then glued the pieces back in and onto the new mould.

With the cardboard templates cut off and the bumper removed, I could now see where to fibreglass.

Fibreglassing in progress.... the bigger the blob, the better the job as my metalwork teacher used to say.

A bit of shaping and filling later, its starting to look good.

And now refitted with perfect gaps (the photo is a bit of an odd angle, but the gap distance is perfect all round). I've not finished the filling as it will need to be painted and I'm sure a professional painter will need to do a bit more filling and smoothing here and there.
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

An ingenious solution to your problem there
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Despite my hard work, I am now thinking of going a bit further and shortening the horns for an RSR look like the ST below. I am meeting with OSC in Chessington tomorrow to see what they think. My horns also don't look very straight in the picture. Not sure what's going on there. More fettling required or just refitting hopefully.

Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

PMNorris wrote:Despite my hard work, I am now thinking of going a bit further and shortening the horns......
Good call, I think it'll look tidier.....but then I would say that :thumbleft: