G50 (1987 Carrera) – Shifter Question

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Magnum
DDK slapper chatter

G50 (1987 Carrera) – Shifter Question

Post by Magnum »

Dear All

My shifter seems suddenly to have become “sloppy”…..no jokes! It moves much more freely (i.e. loosely) and more in every direction when in neutral, has much, much more lateral movement and now has a metallic clonk when contacting the sides (of the shift gate). I don’t know whether I was treating it too gingerly but it also appears to require much more guidance to slot into each gear (almost like it’s lost its centering/self-guiding properties).

So with limited off the shelf parts availability I’d like to identify likely culprit and pre-order such that it’s not a job that leaves to car inoperable for 7 days whilst parts fly in from Germany!

Having done a little research I’m sure it’s either ball cup bushing (91142413901) or friction ring (95042422403)?

I know it’s not easy before opening up and looking but…..any ideas aside from above?

Regards
Magnus

1972 3.2 RS lightweight. Still a bit scary...
1987 3.2 Carrera. Sold..
1972 Alfa 1750 GTV. Sold...
1971 911E in Silver. So lovely, sold..
1971 911S. sold....
1972 BMW CSL. Stupidly sold...
1968 Land Rover SIIa SWB..rusted in half...
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: G50 (1987 Carrera) – Shifter Question

Post by Nige »

Rear coupling come loose or about to fall apart? Look under the little panel between the seats/rear footwell.
sladey

Post by sladey »

Nige is right - but you can't really tell until you get in there. The shifter part isn't rocket science - if it's something in the gearbox then it's a different kettle of fish. Hopefully it will be something minor - I was getting myself ready for a full gearbox rebuild only to find it was dust and gunk binding on the shift rod

Good luck and let us know what it is
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
butzsi
DDK rules my life!

Post by butzsi »

On a G50 box the coupling is secured to the gearbox selector shaft by a 13mm headed bolt located underneath the car (outside the rear bulkhead) and covered by a rubber boot, the inner (tunnel side) of the coupling is a chunky alu casting with bushes and pivot bolts that do not normally come loose or break up where it attaches to the gear shift rod.

Chris
Porsche - Diesel, the next most affordable Classic
targa boy
DDK Fanatic

Post by targa boy »

On G50s as part of the selector mechanism there is an internal lever that follows an internal gate and the shaft that this pivots on can fracture but still allow gear selection, but it will be alot more vague. I have seen this a number of times on 993s and less so on 964s but not yet on a 3.2 but no reason why it shouldn`t occur as it`s basically the same design. The parts are cheap but unfortunately labour intensive.
But obviously rule out linkage in the tunnel first and I will keep my fingers crossed that it`s an external problem.
1972 2.4t(mfi and very orange) 911 targa,1973 bmw 3.0csl,1983 mk1 vw golf gti.
Magnum
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Magnum »

Thanks all

I must say the genuine delight....of forethought (in terms of accumulating likely future spares/consumables) coupled with (increasing) forgetfulness is amazing! Yeehhaaa - I checked my previous orders and somewhere in the garage lies these spares plus the O rings whilst I'm in there!!!

I suspect it's just the ball-cup bush as it feels like the rod doesn't move when I move the lever around gently (implying disconnect from broken bush where they "attach") but will freshen everything up.

Will give final update/feedback.

Cheers
Magnus

1987 3.2 Carrera. Sold..
1971 911S. sold....
Magnum
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Magnum »

Hi All

Job done - went like a dream! Some feedback:

All comes apart easily – centre console can be lifted over gear lever. The hidden screw/tab at the rear of the center console is about 25mm behind the center at the back of this console (in line with handbrake) under the carpet which needs to be lifted.

No unplugging of electrics is required to move centre console aside once knob removed, then once you’ve taken the gear shifter mechanism “cage/housing” out, take a few photos from different angles and all self-explanatory replacing ball cup bush (vice helps), shift rod bush (positioned with cut-out downwards as opposed to incorrect Porsche parts diagram, boiling water and screwdriver) and the O rings.

The tricky (and much feared) bit is replacing the shifter mechanism – I found placing in 2nd gear by manipulating shift rod (screw driver through pinch nut hole) and tying up shift rod up to raised handbrake helps. Then tilt mechanism up in front, lower into housing/hole in body and use both hands to slip this over the shift rod (which goes through gap in cut-out part of bush) with both hands.

A side-thought – only Porsche and a possibly few others would make this shifter mechanism “cage/housing” out cast aluminum! Engineering focus…..most others would be making this out of pressed steel or some other cheaper means!

Have the hoover ready as the foam pad under console will have degraded and leave mess everywhere. This also represents a great opportunity to give the leather gear gaiter its first proper clean for the last 30 – 40 years. Take advantage and also clean the area where the central housing meets carpet and vinyl!

:)
Magnus

1987 3.2 Carrera. Sold..
1971 911S. sold....
sladey

Post by sladey »

Nice work - and has that sorted the problem then?
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Magnum
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Magnum »

Yes indeed - problem sorted!

Feels absolutely more positive and precise into gear, no play when in neutral, gear lever returns to it's natural plane and strangely the change into reverse now feels more positive - the detent spring etc feels stronger!

All good!
Magnus

1987 3.2 Carrera. Sold..
1971 911S. sold....