914 2.0 > 3.0 GT Conversion

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 914 2.0 > 3.0 GT Conversion

Post by defianty »

ollieg wrote:Good stuff...are you going to do the body repairs yourself?
That's the plan. I've got a very steep learning curve to climb but I'm relishing the challenge. :cheers:
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
914-6
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914-6 »

WELL DONE STEPHEN
this looks like being an "essential watch" thread.
formula vee-
'60 356b rhd CONVERTED TO "A"
'67 912 rhd SOLD
'69 914 Crayford RHD
'71 914 Crayford RHD
'69 911s lhd
'71 914/6 race car
Marcos SOLD
66 CHEVY pick-up
57 CHEVY Pickup
Porsche Tractor
2 X PORSCHE PINBALL M/C
defianty

Post by defianty »

I've been held up for a few weeks as the powder coater was on holiday and I only dropped parts off to him last week. And despite dropping off all the parts to be plated three weeks ago to the platers, it's all still sitting there in the bucket I delivered it in. Slightly frustrating but they did explain restoration projects take a back seat to their mainstream work.

Last week Rich (abzadams) came down for the day to lend a hand and help pull out the wiring loom. Definitely a two man job, and not one I was looking forward too. It's surprising though after spending so much time on the car I can almost identify any wire and name where it goes. All of a sudden the wiring doesn't look as daunting as I first thought. The fun though, will be mating up with the SC harness several months down the line; a job I'm really not relishing.

Almost there...

Rather than just strip the car and pack it away I decided to restore parts along the way, it was nice to be able to jump back and forwards and also rewarding to see parts being refreshed.

I won't go in to any detail and most of these have been covered in detail many times before.

Despite being upgraded with bronze bushes at some time in its past the pedal cluster was looking a little rough so I set about stripping and repainting. I also added a new set of bronze bushes for good measure.

Before

Making full use of that targa roof!

After - Much nicer.
Last edited by defianty on Thu May 03, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
defianty

Post by defianty »

There was no way this was going back in the car like this. Look like a PO had taken a paint brush to it in the past.

Strip and repaint. Just waiting for a new grip and a couple of small parts to arrive.

Believe is or not under multiple layers of underseal is an indicator/sidelight housing

I actually combined two sets of light to get the best set. After a bit of work they now look like this. Just a bit of tweaking and they're done.
Last edited by defianty on Thu May 03, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
defianty

Post by defianty »

After much deliberation I decided to have the just the shell media blasted. I spoke to several people about the benefits and pitfalls of both blasting and dipping and decided for my project blasting is the best way to go. As the lids and doors are very good they won't be touched. So it'll be off in a few weeks and I can't wait to get it back.

Before that there was a few jobs I wanted to tackle. First was removing the dreaded tar soundproofing. I decided dry ice was the way to go but one morning I was staring at the car wondering what to do next and I thought I'd give the soundproofing a go with a heat gun and scraper...

1.5 Hours later... Nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be. The reward was a nice solid floor with just a couple of small patches of light surface rust... Phew!

For a few years 914's had this support structure in the front trunk. It's shape followed the outline of the spare wheel and on top rested a carpet covered floorboard. The early cars didn't have this and it needed to be removed in order to add a front oil cooler. So out it came, although not as easily as I'd hoped, but it was my first time doing something like this.

Making a start...

Doing the easy bits first :lol:

The last part being rather stubborn! Above that part is the base of the headlight housing when the lights are down. It's just over the spot welds making this impossible to drill out.

Finally done and partly cleaned up.

Next was to remove the no longer needed 4-cylinder engine mounts. It's not an essential job for a six conversion but makes for a cleaner finish and more in keeping with an original six.

Here's the, like everything else, covered in underseal drivers side mount.

And a few hours later! Thick metal and in places three layers thick. After that I can't say I'm looking forward to the other side.
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
defianty

Post by defianty »

I've been buying parts for both the restoration and conversion along the way but as yet held off from buying lots as there never seems to be enough room to store everything! I'm sitting here in my den at my computer. On the desk to my right are my new rear coil springs to my left my fuel sender - broken, my fault :evil: I'll cover that story another day when that mini project is over. I've also got all of the cars glass behind me begging me to trip over it and an exhaust for another project.

However on the other side to the room is this...

A NOS 914-6 oil tank. Scored for a price less than a replica from the US. I'm just a bit happy about that.
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
chief
Married to the DDK

Post by chief »

Isn't it just lovely to see so many of these cars getting the right treatment.
It's a credit to you pal.

Also it's nice to see your pictures so we can see how everything goes back together when it's been too long to remember :lol:
h'Project Blue Book' - 'The Red Baron' - Amber Alert!
defianty

Post by defianty »

Cheers chief, there sure does seem to be renewed enthusiasm for the 914 and there's a lot of quality restorations and conversions on the go right now.

It's just a shame the owners aren't talking about them much on DDK! :lol:
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

This makes me think again about doing a 914... Very cool work.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

KS wrote:This makes me think again about doing a 914... Very cool work.
I must admit, being part of the conversations with Stephen and James about what they are both doing with their '14's, I'd love to do one.
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Delete the thread Stephen. We should delay too many deciding to do a 914 project for as long as possible... you and I need all available parts :lol:
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

looking good Stephen....the mini projects are a great way to keep up a sense of things moving along and progress being made...even when much else around it isn't......it also keeps the purchase costs down....at least for a while..!
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
defianty

Post by defianty »

The car had received a respray and trim overhaul in the late 90's by the guy who bought the car over from the US. Sadly I don't think whoever undertook the task was that great at cataloguing all the nut, bolts and screws from the car. I dare say some were lost over time but almost every part had either missing, broken or ruined fittings, and many replaced with plenty of wood screws!

I started to list what was missing by going though the PET and I soon realised what a time consuming and tedious job it was going to be. So I bit the bullet and ordered this from Auto Atlanta.

After going though it, it looks to be a very comprehensive collection, not totally complete but I can only think of a few missing parts that are easily available. I'm hoping this will make building the car up easier and less frustrating.

The only downside was AA sending it Priority Shipping! Four times the price as quoted on the their website! :cry:
Last edited by defianty on Thu May 03, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
defianty

Post by defianty »

Not much work has happened on the shell the last couple of weeks. I decided it was time to upgrade my compressor and stupidly sold the old one before it's replacement arrived. And when it did arrive it was DOA. Long boring story but I finally got another one yesterday and I'm in business again.

Whilst that was going on I got to restoring a few other bits and pieces.

Starting with these.

They were in a shocking condition and despite trying the method Darren used to restore his, painting them was going to be the only solution. The internals were all revamped too. Those white thumbscrews had yellowed significantly over the years but a bath in bleach and Vanish for a week brought them back to life :lol:

So with the back lights done it was on to the front.

Yes they needed work and it was time to replace the old sealed units with some H4's

Fully stripped and repainted. I found that RAL 7046 Telegray 2 was a fairly good match to the original and ordered an aerosol from an online supplier.

And finished with all new fittings and H4 connector as the originals shattered when I touched them.

Last edited by defianty on Thu May 03, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
defianty

Post by defianty »

Nothing to see here :lol:
Last edited by defianty on Fri May 19, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen

1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims