Burnt Pig - 356 Pre a Build Thread

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Boydyrs
DDK forever

Re: Burnt Pig - 356 Pre a Build Thread

Post by Boydyrs »

I love it and would buy one completed and IVA'd but as usual when your looking nothing available? LOL
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

I am deffinitely going the IVA route as I want to be 100% legal and above board. I also think that in the future the cars with an IVA will command a premium as the regulations are slowly being tightened up, who knows in years to come will we have to build all replicas with electric engines and a sound system to sound like a flat four....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Surprisingly not all the Coupes being built at present will be going the IVA route.

Getting closer, at this rate Rob, you want have much left to do yourself ;-)
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Youre right there... Have more money than time at the moment so Gary will get to the stage where it should be a few months work to get it through the IVA. Its going to be next year now though...

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

mdmax72 wrote:Surprisingly not all the Coupes being built at present will be going the IVA route.

Getting closer, at this rate Rob, you want have much left to do yourself ;-)
Not surprised but what a risky route

End up with a worthless garage trophy if you’re not careful and a car very few would biy
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by porschewagen »

I’m of the opinion that no one should even be building one of these without the intention of putting it through the IVA. The floorpan is modified so automatically that puts it in IVA territory. Building to IVA regulations definitely ups the blood, sweat and tears factor and is adding considerable delay to the speed of my coupe build but to be legal there really is no other way - and as Rob suggested: the law is tightening up too. IVA is daunting but I’m hanging on to the dream that it will all be worth it in the end!
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Blimy its been a while since I posted, but unlike some other projects mine is still moving forwards, but there have been a few delays.... So realistically what has happened since the last post....

Electric Windows
Gary has developed an electric window kit that is designed to fit his cars. Its a great piece of engineering with laser cut lightened plates that fit to the door and strengthen the overall shell of the door and then it securely mounts the electric window mechanism to the metal plate. There is a small amount of tweaking still to do, but essentially they are nearly complete.

Adjustment of Front Chassis
With the 16 inch space savers with the car running so low, the front tyres still hit the wheel arches on full lock, so I agreed with Gary the best thing to do was to raise the front sub chassis up one hole to raise it up a bit to get the clearance. I probably could have done it with the coil over adjustment, but I want to be able to set the suspension up properly with corner weighting when it is all finished so will leave final ride height adjustment till then. The moving of the Sub chassis also meant that a couple of the break pipes needed to be re-made, which still need to be finished before the brakes can be bled and tested.

Wiring
I have agreed with Gary that I will sort the wiring as due to the significant additions on the electrics front then his standard loom will need changing so much that it is probably easier to start from scratch. I am speaking to a couple of guys to try and work out the best way to do this, but it is not straight forwards and its definitely not cheap. I think I am likely to go to a UK loom manufacturer and then add some extras to a standard loom they build and then move a few of the end points, but not made any firm decisions on this yet. I will get a proper auto electrician to install and test it all out. The person who originally was going to do the wiring is now too busy and he cant fit me in this year.....

Rear Wheel Clearance
Got very little wheel clearance on the rear arches as well with the Space saver wheels and therefore the arch lips need trimming a bit to stop any rubbing.

Bonnet Stay
New Bonnet Stay installed and fitted

Under Dash Pod
New 3 x Autometer Gauges added under main dashboard in pod

Steering column adjustment
A bit of adjustment was carried out to the steering column that meant the UJ / Collapsible portion needed to be extended slightly, its also slightly improved the centricity of the steering wheel tothe seat position without really off setting the gauges...

List of Jobs still to be finished before it comes back to Essex.
1. Take a mould off of the Moulded bumpers and work out a way to fit bumpers to car securely
2. Final adjustment of drivers door and Bonnet fit
3. Rub down body to get rid of all of the moulding lines and make it smooth (I'll be driving it in Gel coat for a while to shake down any build problems before I go to paint and get the interior trimmed)
4.Fit temporary rear fog and reversing lights IVA compliance
5. Install throttle Cable
6. Make and fit engine side tins
7. Repair front screen aperture where it was ground too thin to get the screen to fit, and re-fit front screen
8. Repair round the hole in the bulkhead where the steering column has been moved
9.Relocate Fire Extinguisher pull to make cable route less severe and easier to operate
10. Fit internal door handles

A few of the latest photos I have taken on recent visits...

And no that's not the new bonnet stay....
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

It’s getting there slowly. Once you get the loom sorted you won’t be far of.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Richardab1967
DDK Fanatic

Post by Richardab1967 »

Great to see more pics, feels like its nearly there. Very exciting!

An iva question for you, which i am sure you have thought about....exhaust tail pipes, i was a bit worried about mine, as they stick out a bit, but yours are longer. Theres a bit in the manual where it talks about this (chapter 16 point29 and annex1). If the edge of the exhaust pipe is 2.5mm radius then it can project 150mm from floor line, but if not its only allowed 10mm projection...but i may have misunderstood this. Will you run the bumper for iva, i guess that will help with the floor line.

Is that dash pod ok for iva, or is it coming off for the test.

Cheers
Richard
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Love all the individual touches!
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Hi,
When the bumpers are on then i think im a few mm inside the tolerance. The dash pod is removable and will have a specific connector for the wiring so this can come off prior to IVA, same for dash clock as that too wont be compliant.
Looking forwards to getting ot home and starting on sorting the wiring.

AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Post by AccidentalGenius »

Hi Rob, what are your plans for wing mirrors?

I had quite a job deciding on style and again with IVA in mind. I spent many days and weeks looking for some that had the indicator in them already to save adding a wing-mounted light. I just couldn't find anything that would work.

Don't forget that whatever style you opt for you need to be able to adjust the drivers side from the seat so you can't go for a wing-mounted mirror, it needs to be on the door.
Pre-a 356 Coupe (Speedster Clinic Replica)
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

AccidentalGenius wrote:Hi Rob, what are your plans for wing mirrors?

I had quite a job deciding on style and again with IVA in mind. I spent many days and weeks looking for some that had the indicator in them already to save adding a wing-mounted light. I just couldn't find anything that would work.

Don't forget that whatever style you opt for you need to be able to adjust the drivers side from the seat so you can't go for a wing-mounted mirror, it needs to be on the door.
Will be getting some £10 look like shite mirrors from Car Builder Solutions for IVA, longer term, i still have not decided long term either 550 wing mounted or possibly hot rod style peep mirrors, mounted on the door...will see what I like the look of, as i have a peep mirror from a hotrod from 25 years ago...

AccidentalGenius
DDK Fanatic

Post by AccidentalGenius »

lol... CBS (and others) should just make an IVA kit that includes a load of shite that you NEED, but do not want, at a bargain price. They could even loan it out for a few months at a time to save on waste!!!
Pre-a 356 Coupe (Speedster Clinic Replica)
porschewagen
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by porschewagen »

“Will be getting some £10 look like shite mirrors from Car Builder Solutions for IVA” - this is exactly what I have done. They look hideous so cannot even face fitting them until I really have to. I have aero mirrors going on post-IVA.

On the exhaust question. I have a nice Turbo Thomas Sebring exhaust waiting in the wings but for IVA compliance I have fitted a standard VW box with a single early bay bus tailpipe. This exits off centre (just below the lights) and I have cut it short so it doesn’t protrude. I couldn’t fit beetle tailpipes without cutting the bodywork, which I didn’t want to do. Also I am reluctant to fit my front or rear bumper for IVA as I’m worried about a failure from the (everso slightly) protruding ends! Same reason I fitted and then removed the SWF style reflectors. Instead I’ve fitted shite CBS round flat ones for now.

Definitely working to a less is more ethic!