Burnt Pig - 356 Pre a Build Thread

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Burnt Pig - 356 Pre a Build Thread

Post by mdmax72 »

Good tip that Greg.

If your sleeping it, You may consider having the sleeve protruding 5mm past the tube so the seat belt as a flat surface to bolt and rotate on. Also a standard seat belt bolts are M11x1.25 thread. Might be worth tapping the sleeve for a cleaner look.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Rich, you are right the little details make all the difference :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Right....Loads of progress since the last post as I decided that whilst waiting for the windscreen I would outsource some of the fitting of the parts to Gary at Speedster Clinic and Gary has got on rather well with a little help from his able bodied Assistant Anthony.

Steering bushes have now been made and fitted so the steering is all back together all be it with an ugly 1303 beetle steering wheel but it steers and the steering feels really tight.

Gary had another look at the front end Disk conversion that I had purchased second hand off EBAY and wasn't that keen on it so I looked into the alternatives and found that there was a really good front end conversion for the 944 ATE sliding calipers made by a German outfit called EPYTEC which consist of brand new billet hubs and some caliper adaptors to bolt the ATE brake calipers to Drum spindle front hubs. For the observant amongst you that may have been following from the start you will realise that I had disk spindles on the front, however a quick call to Simon at RED9 and he was happy to swap the disk spindles I have for drum brake ones. Also purchased new Beetle post 68 new front bearings and seals from VW Heritage and these will now find their way on to the front end with the Refurbished front calipers. This is the Link to the adopters so you can see what a quality bit of kit they are.

https://www.epytec.de/en/brake-system/a ... number=681

Got to pop to the PUB now so more on progress when I next get 10 mins.....
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Right some further updates on the progress on the car.....

Had to do a bit more research on running a vacuum pump to create the vacuum for the brake servo and came across this nice little diagram on-line that explained what is required.... Its really quite simple and with the engine being at the rear of the car and the Servo being at the front then I also wasn't keen on running a long vacuum pipe from front to rear. I also heard that the vacuum delivered by a performance engine is also not great, and especially from a single inlet manifold. Now I know how simple it is I think that it really should be the way to go for those that want to run a servo

I then purchased a Vacuum switch from Ebay

And a Porsche 944 Brake Vacuum reservoir on eBay too along with a T piece to add the reservoir in line as per the diagram. Vacuum lines came from Car Builder Solutions.....

Gary has mounted the servo in the space under the fuel tank, bit difficult to see in this picture, but the cut out is where the fuel tank goes and the servo is under that...

Gary has also run most of the hard lines on the car, just needs to add a few more clips to ensure that they are clipped every 30cm for IVA compliance.

Gary has also added the rear lights and number plate bracket, as you can see gone for the early PRE A look with lights that look like an Early Hella light but are in fact actually reproduction 1940 Chevy tail lights so have the dual filament brake and rear lights and reflector in one modern unit with dark glass. Also fitted the Karmann Ghia rear number plate light too.....I know it won't be to everyone's taste, but I love the look....

Front Amber beehive lights to finish off the front end look too....

I have also gone for a scuttle mounted fuel filler that looks a bit like this one....

No pictures from the top yet but here is a picture under the bonnet showing its quite a tight bend required to link the fuel filler to the tank, but I have some very flexible filler pipe and it should be able to bend round the corner, it actually seems more flexible than it was advertised at....

A few more updates still to come next time I get 5 mins.....
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Loads more Progress since the last post…..

Roll Hoop
The Roll Hoop has now been offered up for final fitting and the two rear brace bars that go through the rear fire wall and into the engine bay and secure on the back of the chassis have all been trial fitted and look good. I specifically did not want the rear brace bars to cut across the rear windows as I think it spoils the look of the rear quarter window lines so the brace bars are above this and from the side of the car from outside you can’t see them. There was a fair bit of work required to the firewall to get eh brace bars in but it looks great. Before final fitting Gary is going to put the seat belt mountings into the tubes. You can also see the rear arch mounted Oil cooler in the first photo.....

Brakes
The new front hubs have now been fitted but with a bit of hassle as I original got 68 bearings and they actually need 65 bearings (My fault as it says that on their website) also the oil seal was not specified on the website so you would expect Beetle, but oh no, what you actually need is a VW Golf oil seal for the kit…..took me about 3 Google translated Emails into German for me to get through to them what I needed to know, but got there eventually. Uses the original 944 Hub oil caps to complete the set-up.
The Vacuum pump has now been mounted under the fuel tank along with the Vacuum reservoir and Vacuum pressure switch. Not easy to see in this photo, but the Reservoir and Vacuum Pump were both mounted using coil brackets.

Gary has also fitted the 2 Willwood master cylinders for the dual circuit brakes. I still have to fit a float switch to the second one to make it IVA compliant

Brake Line on Drivers side of the car

Fuel System
The two 8mm copper fuel lines have also be run front to back through the passenger compartment down the side of the transmission tunnel, and is awaiting the fitting of the flexible lines at both ends. In the engine compartment this will connect to a Sytec Fuel Filter, a Moon Fuel distribution block with a Moon Fuel pressure gauge mounted, then finally on to the fuel BEGI regulator before flowing through the return fuel line. I have not installed a swirl pot at the moment, as long term I want a much bigger fuel tank than the current Beetle tank and I’ll get baffles added to this, so for the moment will have to make sure it is well topped up with fuel. The Flexible pipe and fittings have all arrived now and it just needs plumbing in and testing. I am also making up some flexible pipes to feed the fuel rails on the Jenvey throttle bodies and blocking off the front feeds.

A few photos of the Fuel filler....

Oil Breather
The oil breather has been mounted behind the fan shroud, and I am currently waiting for some bugs to arrive to block up the two side inputs (apparently according to Gene Berg you don’t need to vent the Rocker covers on a Type 4 engine

Fire Extinguisher
The Plumbed in Fire extinguisher is now mounted under the bonnet, and will run through a 6mm pipe then runs alongside the fuel lines to the back of the car where three fire nozzles will be mounted, one above each Throttle body and one across the rest of the engine bay.

Windscreen Wipers
OK the set-up for the windscreen wipers is now sorted. It uses a classic mini windscreen wiper motor that I bought new from Car Builder Solutions. The Wiper set-up comes complete with a 95 degree wiper arc gear, bundy tube, drive cable and 2 wheel boxes. I want the clap hands windscreen wiper operation as on some of the Pre A’s so one of the wheel boxes has been mounted up-side-down (Not as in the photo as it was changed afterwards). I have ordered one left and one right park wiper arms and 10 inch wiper blades, all from Car Builder Solutions. Most of it is now installed, but the arms and wiper blades are still to be installed. Washer bottle was a nice aluminium item from Ebay and the washer pump and bits and pieces were from Car Builder Solutions. Should be fairly straight forwards to fit.

Exhaust
The Vintage Speed exhaust that I had did not fit as it was designed for a bus and was too long, so Gary shortened the manifold and all now fits.

Windscreen
The Windscreen was finally delivered last week and was installed, and is a good fit, although the rubber is a little loose.

Undertray
Because I am mounting a lot of the ancillary mechanical parts under the front of the tank which is open directly to the road dirt and spray, I am going to fit an undertray to prevent the components from the worst of the elements. I think a cardboard template followed by a switch to Aluminium and some stainless screws to fix it to the underside.

Heater
I have started to think a little more about the Heater (Eberspaecher Hydronic water based solution) the heater boiler part first needs to be fitted in the front of the car with a separate air and Exhaust systems, and has to be IVA compliant so air and Exhaust need to be segregated so there is no contamination between the two systems. The exhaust system that came with mine is rigid, so I will look to fit the system with a flexible pipe and re-use the existing silencer. I will then route the air pipe to the other side to get fresh air from a clean source.

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

And some shots of the car to show the overall look as it is at the moment...

cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Are you staying with the spacesavers? If so, great choice...
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

cubist wrote:Are you staying with the spacesavers? If so, great choice...
Yeah I'm Staying with the space savers, but when I get round to turning the Beast into a beauty after the IVA test then I will get the wheels stripped and Diamond cut on the front so will get a finish something like this.

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Looking really cool
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Been 8 weeks since I last updated, but lots more progress to update you all on..

Heater
The Eberspacher heater is now installed in the front spare wheel well alongside the Alloy battery box, and there are inlet and exhaust pipes to it and a link to the fuel supply via the original beetle fuel tank outlet from the bottom of the fuel tank. The Clayton water heater would not fit in the passenger compartment without getting in the way of the pedals so it has had to be mounted under the hood and the output pipes will be linked up to dash vents and the demist vents on top of the dash. Most of the air pipes are made up from electrical conduit of various sizes, just need to plumb in the water pipes and the expansion tank and put a filtered air vent into the under bonnet compartment then the heater should be up and running. I have to get a test certificate for the heater so I will need to get a licenced installer to come and look over it as part of the IVA Preparations, but I absolutely think a proper heater will mean I can really use my Coupe all year round.

Roll Hoop and Seat-belts
After getting the threaded studs for the standard seat-belt top mount to fix too, these have now been mounted into the roll hoop for mounting the seat-belts and have been welded in an IVA compliant position. The rear roll hoop stays have been welded in place and the roll hoop has been welded to the floor. All the fibreglass that had to be cut round the hoop have now been bonded back in position and all the parts that were taken out for welding have now been re-installed. There is still a bit of an issue with where the inertia reel mounts to the chassis as it fouls on the seats so Gary is making up a bracket to move the mount back to provide the required clearance. Nothing is ever simple....

Windscreen Washers
I found a nice alloy water tank for the windscreen washer so this has now been installed along with IVA complaint Washer jets and an electric beetle pump from a late beetle.

Doors
The last part that made the car look incomplete were the door skins, these have now been bonded on and the external door top mouldings from Replica parts have been fitted along with original Pre A door stops which are a better option that the door check straps that a lot of people use as they are reinforced on the doors and are as per original. Gary has also mounted the original internal door cappings on the doors. Requires the door cards now to make everything look right.

Dashboard Spacers
Previously the dashboard was packed our with washers which didn't look great, but now there are some proper alloy spacers made that I think look great to match the aircraft vents in the dash....

A Quick couple of shots of the dash area too....

The picture of the rear engine bay showing where the braces come through the rear firewall

The Oil cooler is now all mounted in the rear wing, but not got any photos of this

And finally some overall shots of the different views of the car as a whole....Loving the look...

Last few jobs for Gary to do before the car comes back to me are:

1. To make and fit the under-tray
2. Fit the electric Windows
3. Plumb in the fire extinguisher pipes
4. Final fit up of fuel hoses and fuel regulator in the engine compartment

One of Garys customers is also giving me a quote to build a bespoke wiring loom for the car, so waiting for this to come in, else I have a quote locally from a local auto electrician to wire it all up.

Need to agree a collection date once I know where the wiring is going to be done.

On re-installation the rear window it cracked, but as I have build insurance with Adrian Flux, and although it has taken a while they have passed the claim to AA Autoglass and they are sourcing a replacement rear window and will come out and fit it too. The Insurance was only £115 a year and the small accident with the rear screen has meant the rear screen accident alone made it worthwhile as the screen from parts Wise in the Netherlands was £560 delivered. All I have to pay is the £100 excess.
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

One thing I forgot, Gary is also prototyping body bumpers for my car as I am going for an early look. He is taking standard fibreglass bumpers and then leaving them untrimmed and will lengthen them and cut them to fit the contours of the car....Watch this space for some pictures.....
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Another Visit to Speedster Clinic yesterday and the list of jobs is definitely getting shorter…… more about whats left to d at the end, but here is some progress and what’s been going on in the last 2 months…

Under Tray
The Under tray that fits to the bottom of the Front Suspension to protect the Servo and other Brake Components has now been made and fitted. This was just made from some steel plate from an old floor that Gary had and this has been powder coated to protect it.

Rear Screen
AA Autoglass finally came and replaced the rear screen last week. The bill was £1100 but as I had build insurance, only cost me £100. The Guys fitted the new one and all well and good.

Side Marker Indicators
They have fitted the Side marker indicators I provided that are required for IVA

Body Bumpers
Gary has started work on the Body bumpers, but they are not finished yet, but are probably 80% of the way there, just modifying the ends a bit more and then he is going to take a mould of them so may well offer these with the Pre A kit in the future. This shows several stages....

Fuel Lines
Fuel Lines in the Engine Compartment have now been run, but need a few changes as not quite right

Wiring Loom
I have slightly modified my comprehensive wiring loom specifications to add in a few bits that I had forgotten, and Gary is now having a wiring loom made. The first guy that was going to build the loom got a bit scared by the complexity so Gary has now found someone that understands all of the extras on my car and can build a loom that will fulfil all of the extras on the car. There will be a separate one for the engine, but this is being made at the moment and hopefully should be finished in the next 4 weeks. Gary is going to fit and test the loom.

Interior Lights
Have gone for after market interior lights and courtesy switches from Car Builder Solutions so that I can see what is going on when the door is opened, these will be fitted along with the rest of the wiring

Horns
Fitted Aftermarket cheap horns

Fire Extinguisher
Fire Extinguisher all plumbed in after a few hiccups with the wrong sized pipes…..

Oil Cooler
Fitted Empi 72 row Oil Cooler in the rear wheel arch, this still needs plumbing in, but is mounted on rubber bobbins and is tucked well out the way but handy for plumbing in.

Electric Windows
Gary has started fitting the Electric Windows to another customers car and he is now developing some brackets to make it easier to fit into other cars. This si still work in progress, but as with all the developments that Gary does the output will be worth the wait and I have already seen the prototype working and seems to be very good…..

Also had a proper sit in the car yesterday for about 10 mins and I must say it felt really comfortable, I am a big guy and at about 6 foot I was always a bit worried with a small car it would feel a bit cramped, but I was really pleased and I think that when its finished, it will be perfectly comfortable on longer journeys. With the Fuel injected & Modern ECU engine, and servo assisted brakes, I am now quietly confident that this will be a very derivable car.

OK Left on the list of things to do:
1. Raise the suspension up a little as the front wheels scuff the arches…
2. Change the Fuel Line feeds to the Throttle Bodies
3. Electric Windows
4. Fit Loom & test
5. Plumb in Oil Cooler
6. Bleed Brakes
7. Start Engine and dive it.....
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Great progress
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Looking cool
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

There seem to be a lot of 356 Coupe Replicas being built in the Uk at the moment. Is it your opinion that these are all going to go through the IVA?
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk