1966 Polo Red 912 (3 dial)

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

TomB
DDK Fanatic

Re: 1966 Polo Red 912 (3 dial)

Post by TomB »

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement
The floors are more split than rotten, they may even repair with a bit of effort need to look further into this when its on he rotisserie
I was looking in to the possibility of using the pan halfs as in sides like a VW Karmann ghia or beetle
Cutting the pans out that are in but leaving a lip on the perimeter joggling the new floors and plug welding all the way around the inner, outer cills , centre tunnel rear boot floor and front bulk head are all rock solid
Is this the method used for fitting this type of full side panel ?

Thanks

Last edited by TomB on Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian3
Married to the DDK

Post by Adrian3 »

when i did my floors recently, (only right hand was corroded) i only replaced the actual floor "wells" (one front and one back), leaving the perimeters, including the "bridge" in the middle,in place.....it depends how much you want to keep original metal.....the part of the floor under the outer longits will likely be very rusty, but how long it takes to perforate will vary....if you dont replace the outer perimeter, you will be relying on very very good maintenance (rust-inhibiting fluid injection) to keep the rust at bay

as far as welding is concerned, if you just replace the wells, you can use the angle where it angles downwards to very slightly overlap (1-2mm) to make welding that bit easier, as i did

but, of course, this is not the proper way of doing things
Adrian Rendle
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I gas welded (remember that process?) mine in. Slowly did it, but that was in 1989 and all is solid today.
No need for seam sealer underneath.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
TomB
DDK Fanatic

Post by TomB »

Little up date
Nothing much to report done a little more striping down not going to rush or sicken myself with this one I even like just standing looking at it in the garage haha

TomB
DDK Fanatic

Post by TomB »

Box out and ready for a good clean and check over

All nice and solid around the rear seats

TomB
DDK Fanatic

Post by TomB »

The last few hours I've spent Getting it ready to mount to rotisserie ready for the welding work to the underside

Also detailed these that I had for another car but never used them doubt they will go on the 912 as I like the steel wheels but you knever know

TomB
DDK Fanatic

Post by TomB »

Hopefully more updates over the next few weeks
panels on order from Restoration Designe
garage being sorted for some space