1973 US 911T 2.4 MFI - Mark A

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Mark A
DDK addict

Re: 1973 US 911T 2.4 MFI - Mark A

Post by Mark A »

Starting prep for fitting the engine.....
Mark A
DDK addict

Post by Mark A »

rear lights in....that was a good feeling. And yes it is cramped in my garage!
Mark A
DDK addict

Post by Mark A »

It was also a good feeling to rivet the vin tag back on.

Although should I rivet the US spec A pillar vin tag back on? It is a bit ugly

Mark A
DDK addict

Post by Mark A »

Have you heard the one about blowing up a fuel tank?

Here's a photo from delivery day, complete with 22 year old batteries!

The fuel tank looked in good shape apart from a dent on the underside. I sent it off along with my doors, engine lid and oil tank to be dip stripped. It looked great when i collected it, I was only half joking when I said to Conrad just clear coat it!

Conrad sealed the tank, warmed it a little and blew it up, the dent popped right out.
If fuel tanks can be sexy this was getting there, very happy with it.

The fine mesh on the filter was falling apart, I bought a replacement but it had the wrong bore. I decided to re create the screen with fine stainless steel mesh, held in place by some petrol resistant liquid metal.

and back in the car, looking good.
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Coming on really well Mark. Starting to look like a car again!
hot66

Post by hot66 »

It’s looking good 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Nick work Mark. I thought about a home brew mesh filter. In the end i decided to part with the £90 odd quid Porsche asking price as the risk of that coming off and shite going in a rebuilt engine .... !
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Great work, loving the details as it comes back together.
The force is strong in this one ......
Mark A
DDK addict

Post by Mark A »

stretch wrote:Nick work Mark. I thought about a home brew mesh filter. In the end i decided to part with the £90 odd quid Porsche asking price as the risk of that coming off and shite going in a rebuilt engine .... !
Yes I did think about possible contamination but I read that the liquid metal (i think it was that) was petrol proof. I did actually buy the replacement filter from Porsche but the OD of the pipe was smaller than my original which would have meant reducing the ID of the hose somehow which i'd already installed and its really cramped in that area. So I decided to fix it.

Maybe I should put a blob of the liquid metal in a jar of petrol and monitor?

I have the new Porsche part, need to get that listed for sale.
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

I too like your fuel strainer fix. I'm doing an 87 924S with a very contaminated fuel system; once removed from the tank, the filtration mesh just fell apart. The parts for this car are gobbling cash like nobody's business... I'd imagine something similar to your fix. May I ask, how fine is that SS mesh and where would one typically find it?
Your Lakewell sound deadening kit looks great. How was installation?
Thank you. John/Connecticut/USA
Mark A
DDK addict

Post by Mark A »

jjeffries wrote:I too like your fuel strainer fix. I'm doing an 87 924S with a very contaminated fuel system; once removed from the tank, the filtration mesh just fell apart. The parts for this car are gobbling cash like nobody's business... I'd imagine something similar to your fix. May I ask, how fine is that SS mesh and where would one typically find it?
Your Lakewell sound deadening kit looks great. How was installation?
Thank you. John/Connecticut/USA
Hi John,
Yes as I've had to spend big on engine, body and paint, I'm always looking to keep costs down elsewhere. I found the SS mesh on ebay. I wasn't sure of the gauge so i bought a couple of small pieces very cheaply. It is very fine. I'll see if I can find the details and pm you.

I was very happy with how the Lakewell kit turned out, it looks good and original to a degree, not that that was a critical for my resto. I think it will perform really well. There are a lot of complex curves in the back of a 911, the deadening material is quite heavy and dense, if it is cold it is quite stiff and difficult to work with. I used a heat gun/hairdryer to persuade it into position, its similar to a bitumastic material and when warm it can get messy, i needed to take care not to contaminate surrounding areas. It was more of a jigsaw than I expected. If I were to do it again and originality is not important, i'd probably go for a more modern material that's easier to work with.

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Mark
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Cool and thanks. John
Mark A
DDK addict

Post by Mark A »

Next up was getting the front indicators sorted, one housing was too far gone but i obtained another used one, and with some minor repairs they were ready to refinish. I used some rattle can spray chrome paint. The paint took a while to harden but looks good. Then I had to convert the US spec housing and wiring for UK use.

Mark A
DDK addict

Post by Mark A »

Engine fit time!!!
Having renewed the fuel line plumbing and wrestled some aftermarket heater control flapper valves in, I have a couple of fellow petrol heads join me and bribe them with tea and bacon sandwiches to help fit the engine/gearbox.

Here's me doing something, the eagle eyed of you will spot that i have a plastic boot on as a result of snapping my Achilles tendon.

these look good and should out last me but they were a real pain to fit.

I went for the stiffer later engine mounts.

A few hours later and it is in!! no real dramas other than having to take the MFI warm air box off to ease it in.

It didn't take me long to get the silencer on, its the dansk sport with a 70mm out. I did mount the strap, no picture tho.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

:cheers: a big step there 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)