Service items - where from?

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

So after having spent too long covered in garage crap, I've uncovered my 914 again and realized it's actually quite good. The hell hole isn't as bad as I first feared, but I'll still pull the motor for good access to repair it. While it's out I'll give it a clean and service on the bench. Oil and fuel filters are easy, as are spark plugs. The dizzy cap and points appear to be the same as every Beetle since 1949 so I've got some of those in stock, too. The problems I'm having are with the plug leads and rear discs - nobody seems to do them! If anybody could point me in the right direction or even give me Bosch/Pagid/Beru/Tarox/whoever part numbers for my local ECP to cross-refer (as apparently 914s don't exist :roll: ) that would be really REALLY appreciated!
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Service items - where from?

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Rear discs - not easy to get from 'normal' suppliers - but try Roger Bray or Mittelmotor.

I'm not sure about spark plug leads as i have modified tinware so had to use a non-standard set, but shouldn't any Type 2 VW bus leads fit?
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

That was my initial thought, but apparently the 2,0 has different heads to the 'lowlier' 1,7 and 1,8 models, with different tinwear and different spark plug locations?
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

jonat127
DDK forever

Post by jonat127 »

Pelican Parts list them all. If you're not in a hurry it only takes a little over a week for things to come from the states.
1970 914-6 conversion
1977 Stag one of the last made
Vauxhall Mokka - Wifes car and unexpectedly good!
VW T5 camper - custom day van conversion
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

Spark plug leads can be obtained from VW Heritage as can a lot of other standard service items, also GSF, Euro car parts. I have also used Kontakt in London for shock absorbers, brake parts etc. If the part number starts 111, 113, 211, 311, 411 it is a VW part. As already mentioned Mittelmotor and your local OPC.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
davep
I luv DDK!

Post by davep »

spark plug lead sets are different on the 2.0, I believe they have all short (62mm) connectors and are cheaper than the 1.7/1.8 sets
Porsche historian & researcher, contact me for Kardex through 1969 model year.
Addicted since 1975
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

middlefour1 wrote:Spark plug leads can be obtained from VW Heritage as can a lot of other standard service items, also GSF, Euro car parts. I have also used Kontakt in London for shock absorbers, brake parts etc. If the part number starts 111, 113, 211, 311, 411 it is a VW part. As already mentioned Mittelmotor and your local OPC.
I will never deal with VW Heritage again after a really shoddy experience with them a few years back.

I've ordered up a fair few bits from Euro now, but had to find the actual manufacturers' part numbers as they don't have a 914 on their system... I knew that about the VW part numbers, but thank you all the same. :) The air filter is common to the T25, apparently.

Hadn't heard of Kontakt - will look them up. I also never realized that the OPCs would still carry 914 bits - I've tried to get a couple of pieces before but they were NLA.
davep wrote:spark plug lead sets are different on the 2.0, I believe they have all short (62mm) connectors and are cheaper than the 1.7/1.8 sets
Ace!
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

I recently ordered a set of 914 flywheel bolts from my local OPC for a good price and they even posted them out free.
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

The 1.7 / 1.8 lead set can be used on the 2.0 if you can't find a 2.0 set; just change the two long spark plug sockets to short sockets, they just unscrew.

I have found over the years different manufactures lead wires vary in length and one or two leads might not belong enough to clip into the tin-ware lead clips if still there!

I prefer the Bosch leads as the wire leads stay flexible and age well; they don’t go hard with the engine heat like some do!
914 Daily driver since 1990
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

914 KEV wrote:I prefer the Bosch leads as the wire leads stay flexible and age well; they don’t go hard with the engine heat like some do!
+1
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
delphe
DDK Newbie

Post by delphe »

If this helps Beru ZEF303 will fit. If you go to their web site you can check the spec and they reference them for a 914 2lt. Depending on supplier about £30 to £45.
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

Sorted for all that lot now, but thank you! Needing a clutch cable now...
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

misteralz wrote:Sorted for all that lot now, but thank you! Needing a clutch cable now...
Try Porsche it might be back in stock! Around £30 when I last bought one which was cheaper than Roger Brays aftermarket ones they sell!
914 Daily driver since 1990