993 restoration

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Ferry Man
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 993 restoration

Post by Ferry Man »

Anyway, I’ve said the PSS10’s are great and I can now confirm they are certainly easy to alter for ride-height & comfort.

For comfort, I did have the shocks set at 3 front & 3 rear.
Guided by James (Hot66) I’ve since revised those settings to be a little softer at the front and firmer at the rear. I’m now 2f + 4r. And that seems good. I’ll stick with that for a while and see how I get on. But it really is so easy to change that I’ll run with harder settings for any circuit racing. I have a track-day booked in the next few months and I’m sure I can arrive at the pits and alter the shocks without tools.

Paul

'74 Porsche 911 Carrera 2.7 (MFI) - Lime Green
'94 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 (993) - Mexico Blue
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

They are also simple to alter for ride-height. That’s a wheels-off affair but again simple enough with a couple of Bilstein ‘C’ spanners (supplied with the suspension kit).

I volunteered earlier that I felt my car was too low. Many people would like the look but I felt it was slammedintheweeds.

I checked the measurements and found it to be pretty much exactly RS as per the specs.
Porsche list the ride height settings as 124mm front & 107mm rear.
Those numbers have a tolerance of +/-10mm and I discovered my RS is set slightly above the book settings.
The Mexico car (being spot-on to the guidelines) had ended up slightly lower than my RS.
So, I’ve raised the car 10mm all round and I’ve thence ended up with the popular setting of RS+10mm.
Below is the ‘before’ & ‘after’ pictures. You can’t really tell from the pics but it is a little higher now.

Before:

After:
Paul

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Most interesting to read about the suspension restoration and upgrade cost, bit scarey too. :shock:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I'm more surprised Paul has actually used his rear de mist , don't think I've ever had the need as my cars tend to be tucked away during the cold :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
ch3tman
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by ch3tman »

Stunning restoration! :notworthy: Hope you enjoy many years & thousands of miles of ownership!

I'd been lurking for months and this thread approaching completion (plus mention of a 993 forum) convinced me to join DDK late last year.... and then didn't get around to posting :oops:.

- What tyres did you go for? Some comments indicate 265 on 18x10 rears can look/fit a little stretched - thoughts?
- Look forward to seeing a Lime Green / Midnight Blue / Mexico Blue lineup - would make for a fantastic photo!
Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

ch3tman wrote:Stunning restoration! :notworthy:
Thanks. :)
ch3tman wrote:What tyres did you go for? Some comments indicate 265 on 18x10 rears can look/fit a little stretched - thoughts?
Pirelli P-Zero Rosso N4's.

Paul

Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

I have 225/40 ZR18 up front and 265/35 ZR18 on the rears.

You can fit 285/30 on the 10" rims but they may seem 'wide'. They do fit under standard 993 arches (with Speedline offsets) but the tyre shoulders stand a little proud of the wheel. Porsche advise 265 and - certainly for the Pirellis - the side profile with that size is a better match for the fronts. Having said that I've used Bridgestones on the rear in 285 and they appeared visually narrower. Different makes do differ slightly. Your call....

Paul

Ferry Man

Post by Ferry Man »

And a nice picture I'd not yet included in this thread...
Needless to say, I'm very pleased with the car. :)

Paul

ch3tman
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by ch3tman »

Ferry Man wrote:
ch3tman wrote:What tyres did you go for? Some comments indicate 265 on 18x10 rears can look/fit a little stretched - thoughts?
Pirelli P-Zero Rosso N4's.
~
I have 225/40 ZR18 up front and 265/35 ZR18 on the rears.

You can fit 285/30 on the 10" rims but they may seem 'wide'. They do fit under standard 993 arches (with Speedline offsets) but the tyre shoulders stand a little proud of the wheel. Porsche advise 265 and - certainly for the Pirellis - the side profile with that size is a better match for the fronts. Having said that I've used Bridgestones on the rear in 285 and they appeared visually narrower. Different makes do differ slightly. Your call....
Thank you Ferry Man, very helpful :)
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Ferry Man wrote:I suppose in any large organisation there are people who are just not nice. Some folk get mischievous at work. Or worse, they are resentful or awkward or deliberately obstructive. And so it was at Porsche.
The first trouble maker was the guy that fixed the seat backs in place. He took great delight in over-torquing the screws so that later owners would struggle to remove them. You can imagine him now, chuckling at the subsequently skinned knuckles and fingers punctured by screwdrivers.
The second person to cause future generations distress and difficulties was his colleague on the production line that glued the rear seat bases in place. He evidently decided to make it impossible to remove the seats. He used a glue so strong as to be a deliberate act of provocation. Frankly, gravity would be enough to keep those seats in position but no, he would explore the extremes of adhesive technology.
And he would then pass that knowledge onto the team that glued the carpets in place.
Sorry I know this is an old post but I can second that on the glue - where the hell did they get that stuff from, parts of it are still wet. I am also swapping out the grey interior for a black one and was going to do the carpet as well in one go but after wrestling with the rear seat bases and decontaminating the glue from myself and my clothes (when I knelt down on the workshop floor my jeans actually stuck to the floor and pulled up the paint off the floor) I have decided to give the carpets a miss for now.

Ditto for the screws on the rear seat backs what torque did they use? it took me a week of gently easing Plus Gas down the screw without covering the carpets as I assumed they had rusted in but no they were just torqued down heavily and the largest flat blade screwdriver known to man finally shifted them with another screwdriver through the handle for extra leverage and they finally budged but have inserted steel splinters in my hands for life and given me arthritic wrists :oops: I agree with Ferry Man he must have been chuckling at the thought of all the impending problems later owners were going to have and probably initially thought of using a bolt but that would have been too easy as we could have used a torque wrench :shock:

As for the Lower dash thats a whole new story from hell that I will detail at some point if there is any interest in the story.

Mike
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R