Super-secret 356 Coupe Project

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Robneal
DDK above all

Re: Super-secret 356 Coupe Project - Engine Questions!

Post by Robneal »

Be careful with the type 4 engine as they end up costing you twice the cost of a type 1. I am finding out the hard way....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

boots? what am I, made of money?! :lol:
I'm planning that this project won't be entirely done in a single car garage, like my current one..

good info re: type 4 - I've been looking at the prices of bits and they're more expensive for sure. Im going to be making this how amie would want it - that means somewhere around 150bhp, reliable, etc., and I think the best way of achieving this with a decent amount of torque is going to be a 2.3 / 2.4 litre engine.. while type 4 is more expensive, I feel like a type 4 2.3/2.4 litre "no machining" build (although some machining and tidying up will be done) would be a simpler and probably more reliable (possibly even cheaper) way of achieving this than a similar capacity type 1.. I also have a useful contact in that I've just finished helping a mate "megasquirt" his type 4 camper (with help from tim on the tuning side) so pretty much have a "plug-n-play" solution for that side of it 8)

that said, I am all ears re: better engine options if I've completely got it around my neck! 8)
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Never mind all that. What colour is it going to be ?
Black Betty
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Black Betty »

Robneal wrote:Be careful with the type 4 engine as they end up costing you twice the cost of a type 1. I am finding out the hard way....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yes, but you'll end up with an engine that is double as reliable, strong and cool as a type 1 :wink:
It's better to burn out, than to fade away
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

smallspeed wrote:Probably (1954 / 55) Jade Green Metallic paint - #5405.. saw a picture of a 356 in this colour a while ago and amie was all over it - loved it!
this on the outside...

..this sort of thing (and colour) on the inside..

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

75 of your eeenglish pounds
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

If you're talking about the one on the left, you sir have a deal! :lol:
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Id start looking for a core engine now, preferably a 1700 unit. Cores are drying up and prices are going up also.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
DDK addict

Post by 356 »

I would start the Build off with a Speedster Clinic

Coupe body and chassis :P
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Problem is I don't have space for it at the moment and as im doing it on the secret... ..i want to get as much other stuff done and collected as possible up front then rent some space to do the actual "car build"..

I intend on getting an engine fairly soon and cracking on with that - any particular reason why you suggest starting with a 1700 over say a 2.0litre?..
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

smallspeed wrote:If you're talking about the one on the left, you sir have a deal! :lol:
ooh no! That's what she weighs.I prefer a bit of flesh with skin and bones :lol:
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

smallspeed wrote: I intend on getting an engine fairly soon and cracking on with that - any particular reason why you suggest starting with a 1700 over say a 2.0litre?..
There is a belief that 1.7 (914 not van) are low stressed and the cases tend to be in great shape. The 2.0 is desirable & therefore expensive but the key rare parts (heads + B&P) tend to be worn out. Repairing cracked heads is expensive and difficult. Copies made from new heads (with relocated spark plug threads etc) are not much more.
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

What Bruce said.

Hence mine didn't need any machining apart from bigger jugs and tapping some oil gallery plugs.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Ok.. I guess I was thinking for an easy time of it I could go with a 2.0 and get up to around 2.3 or 2.4 litre without any machining.. Makes sense to start with something solid though and go from there. I will be replacing barrels and pistons anyway, so need a solid case and heads as a base..

Is there much difference in the heads in terms of valve size, etc?

Off on holiday later for a long weekend - need to have a sort out when I get back as I have a ton of stuff to get rid of in the garage at the moment, then will get stocking up on bits to start working on the engine over the winter/spring :)
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Super-secret 356 Coupe Project - Engine Questions!

Post by Bruce M »

The 1.7/2.0 case sizes are the same in all the key areas. The cylinder bores are the same in the case. 1.7 heads are cut for a smaller cylinder. 1.8 / 2.0 are cut the same (bigger than 1.7) and will take 96mm B&P without machining. 1.7 valve sizes are smaller than 1.8 or 2.0. 2.0 is a unique part with many differences. All of the above refers to 914 heads. The van heads tend to have smaller valves / ports.