Super-secret 356 Coupe Project

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Super-secret 356 Coupe Project - Engine Questions!

Post by Bruce M »

Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Should also mention the 1.7/1.8 crank is smaller stroke than 2.0 and the long stroke crank uses different rods.
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

Awesome info there guys! Picked up a 1.8 914 core on eBay this afternoon so watch this space! Brought 20min after the listing appeared - hopefully its as solid as the seller says :)
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Was the seller from Devon?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Nope, actually fairly close to me in northampton so will be picking up next week when I get back from holiday..

I did pick up a 1.8 case (2x halves) from a guy in north Devon though because I figured they were a sensible price and prob worth having a few options.. Anyone we know??
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

If it's the Devon one I'm thinking of (case No ending 538) , it's been repaired to the top of the tower. Might not be a problem but it's been welded right next to the mating surface, which could be?? The top tower surface looks a bit iffy also.

No mention of repair in the listing.

Good score on the other.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Yeah I saw that weld area.. Looks to have been welded ok, figure i can flat out the top surface if needed. Will wait and see what it's like when it turns up vs the one that's in the engine already - I have some options that way, possibly even a spare to either build up and sell on or keep as a core for something a bit crazier later on :)
Spyder-finder
DDK Fanatic

Post by Spyder-finder »

I would suggest the CSP upright conversion or the DTM if you can afford it!

CSP

DTM
RS60, 550, 356 Speedster, 356 outlaw coupe, KTM RC8 and 1955 Norton Dominator 88

Why tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death!
Spyder-finder
DDK Fanatic

Post by Spyder-finder »

In my experience customer 2270cc type 4 with Weber fuel injection 167bhp, junked it because it kept playing up and fitted Dellorto 45 dlra carbs 165bhp!! In a light car you don't need to go mad on induction and capacity unless you want to do spectacular burn outs!
RS60, 550, 356 Speedster, 356 outlaw coupe, KTM RC8 and 1955 Norton Dominator 88

Why tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death!
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

I like those upright fans, probably the CSP more than the DTM.. I had seen them before, but think they might have to be something to consider in the future rather than as part of the initial build
Re: engine power - I'm aiming for something around 100-125bhp initially, but I've heard a few people talking about 160+ bhp recently, which kind of got me thinking.. That said I think somewhere around 125bhp would be plenty, and if it had a similar lbft torque figure it would be very driveable which is really what I'm after for Amie. She drives a diesel normally, and finds my car hard work (even though its 2x the power, and about 30% more torque) because its quite revvy.. I think a fat 'n' flat torque curve would be a winner for her :)

Regards ignition, injection, etc., I've had some experience with "home brew" injection and ignition on a few engines now, and a little experience on the tuning side. I will go the tried and trusted route of MS2 +Extra firmware, and run a fairly simple system of COP / Wasted spark, and sequential injection. I recently helped a friend build a similar set-up and its working well (although he has no gearbox right now unfortunately! - entirely un-related)
I have an ECU and lambda sensors already from an old engine from one of my cars (2.0 BMW 4-cyl, which was knocking out around 180bhp / 145lbft) so I will use that, and just adapt the wiring to suit. There's not much required to be honest..
My plan would be steal my mates type 4 2.0 van engine tune and get running on that, then once I was convinced everything was OK I'd take it to someone like Northampton Motorsport for tuning. I have "an abundant source" of DT Connectors, so don't plan on twist and taping anything - reliability, reliability, reliability!! :lol:

Thanks for all the thoughts and comments, and keep them coming - it all helps a lot!!

Ben
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

I'd go with the CSP kit but use a doghouse fan shroud with a type4 stock cooler fitted (by extending the oil cooler housing) and connected to a adapter mounted to the case (as per both above). CSP recommend a front mounted remote cooler but I wouldn't.
Actually, I'd make the cylinder tins from stock parts and only buy the CSP stand & crank pulley (the alternator pulley needs modified though) but that's more work.

These days with a wideband kit, you can auto-tune the fuelling. Just leaves the idle / warm up & fine tuning the ignition map.
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Sounds like some more good info :)
Re: Tuning my issue is going to be putting miles on it without getting caught! I think getting it set up on a RR by a tuner so its pretty much dialed in saves me a lot of potential exposure, then I can tweak from there ;)
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

If your looking for 100-125 initially, then a 1911cc or a 2056cc with the right bits would get you there.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Yeah, im thinking we might want a bit more in the future, and in the meantime 125 with a chunk of torque would be nice.. I need to do a bit more reading but it's not a bad shout - maybe around 2.0 with flat top pistons or something... ...i have some time, got a screaming 2.0 BMW engine to finish first :lol:
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Lots of reading to be done over in the type4 forum Ben

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum ... &start=150
Rich

DDK Member 0547