Few questions from newbie

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Sasquatch
DDK Newbie

Few questions from newbie

Post by Sasquatch »

Hi I am new to the forum.I have been an admirer of Porsche 356 for a number of years but my funds do not stretch to buying a real one. I have seen a few replicas at VW shows I attend and quite fancy building a replica.
I do not know much about the whole replica building rules thing.
I would want to build a coupe and been looking at the Speedster Clinic website. If you put a Coupe body on a Beetle pan can it just be shown as re bodied keeping original Beetle year and tax exemption or do you have to do Iva. If so do you then have a modern number plate. If it's classed as a new car I suppose it would not be legal to use the old black and silver metal number plates.
Any advice in general would be great I have very limited knowledge of the rules in building a replica.

Thanks
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Few questions from newbie

Post by Ashley James »

Welcome, I'm new too, but I can see the appeal of a replica given the cost of the real thing.

The U.K. Rules used to apply to the chassis, so as long as you had a log book and a chassis number, you could build what you like as many did in the days of coach built cars. However, because of the EU, body changes, even identical replacements may no longer be allowed, so I think before you start, you need to find out the regulations and make sure it won't have to be a new car or have an odd number plate.

Otherwise best of luck with the project and lots of photos please.
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hello,
Working through my own build at present and have hopefully learnt a few things along the way.

IMHO it is best to build the car to the IVA standard from the start as you end up with a car which meets current reg's and a qualified engineer has crawled all over the car to give you confidence it is safe. Registration is completed after you pass the IVA test. You can get an age related plate by using key components from the original beetle. Search DVLA website as everything you need is on there.

Without IVA you run the risk of not having any valid insurance. Resale without IVA may also be an issue

So far IVA has not caused any major No's to my build, some head scratching but if you embrace the requirements you should end up with a great car! There is an IVA section in replicas which may help give you some ideas. Also some of the Cobra build website have some great information.

I used Gary at Speedster Clinic and the speedster product is great and Gary is usually on the end of the phone to answer questions.

Good luck
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Welcome aboard.

As above really, read through the IVA thread. That'll give you an insight on what needs doing on a Speedster build to get you through IVA. The only reason it has to be IVA'd is that the chassis has to be shortened to accept the Speedster body. Which is classed as heavily modified.

If you went the Pilgrim Speedster route and went for there 2+2 Speedster, it will not require going through the IVA route. No chassis mods is required just a body change.

As its a coupe your wanting to build, you either protect your investment or run the risk.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)