IB 3.2 blown 2 coils on tickover?

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

rft218
DDK slapper chatter

IB 3.2 blown 2 coils on tickover?

Post by rft218 »

Hi All

I know this is a IB question - I have posted there but I know there are a lot of people with IB cars or 3.2 motors that might have some ideas.

I have a '89 3.2 which I have just rebuilt, whilst I was at it I put SSI's/heater backdate and Steve Wong chip. I have had it running enough to get in in and out of the garage and it starts first time. I booked an MOT and left it outside to warm up and make sure the oil was going to the oil cooler etc. It was probably sitting for about 15 minutes and then it suddenly stopped.

I thought it might have run out of petrol so put a couple of gallons in and then discovered there was no spark. Went in and did all the diagnostics on the ECU plug, all ok, +12v and 0v in the right places, resistance at the speed sensors all good. So then checked the coil and there was no circuit between HT to LT windings. So purchased new coil fitted it and happy days started first time.

Same routine left car to run for 15 minutes and all of sudden it just stopped, and the coil is now showing the same symptoms, looks like it is dead. It was a new Bosch (albeit silver bodied one) but it seems like something is taking it out unless it is a co-incedence?

I have been trying to think what it might be. I found one post that says instability in the voltage/earthing issues might upset a coil or that the ECU could damage a coil? All of the earths were cleaned up as part of the rebuild as it was a bare metal paint job. My only theory is that if the alternator voltage regulator went, maybe too high a voltage might take out the coil, but I cant check that until I get a new coil :-(

Any ideas gratefully received!,

Cheers

Roger
C3s
DDK slapper chatter

Re: IB 3.2 blown 2 coils on tickover?

Post by C3s »

Your 'Bosch' coil could be a Chinese cheapy made under license, don't let the branding fool you, have had it about 10 times over the last 3 years or so with 'Lucas' sports coils and they were the correct gold anodised colour ones. We pulled the remaining stock off the shelf & tested them with massively varying results. Poor show for the manufacturers and fat cat importers
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

On the earth theory you could run a fresh extra earth cable - to supplement/bypas any faults

I know when I put mine back together I put one washer the wrong way round, it interfered with the Earth and I had smoke pouring out of the Horn when I tried to start it - so it's worth your while just checking them - from memory you've got the main one, Gearbox to body (underneath by gearbox), and engine to chassis (Off the intake)

Maybe get a sparking in or call the AA if you're really stuck?
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
rft218
DDK slapper chatter

Post by rft218 »

Thanks - will keep trying, I have gone through everything and I am coming to the conclusion I need to get the ECU checked out, will report the solution when I hopefully track it down!!