912 in Dorset - help needed in restoration project!

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

newto912
DDK addict

912 in Dorset - help needed in restoration project!

Post by newto912 »

Dear all
I have just brought home a 1966 912
in need of restoration, minimal rust but needs work to get it going, trim missing etc
there are a few bits missing such as ignition coil and a few wires not connected, petrol tank needs connecting and probably other things I havent considered.
This is my first project and although I am fairly practical, I am sure there will be a steep learning curve!
As the car is incomplete I was wondering if there are any local 912 owners
It would be nice to have a look at a complete engine bay and see where various wires go, how the fuel sender is connected , and a few other things etc
Thanks in advance
Andrew
1966 912 LHD
1980 911 SC Targa
1969 912 RHD in process of restoration
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 912 in Dorset - help needed in restoration project!

Post by Nine One One »

Speak to Alan at Canford Classics, who is a member on here, and an excellent reputation - They are in Winterborne in Dorset
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk/contacts/

They have restored quite a few 912’s
chris hak
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris hak »

Yep, being in Dorset you are in luck, Alan's your man. He's at Winterborne Kingston, about 5 miles from Dorchester. He recently re-commissioned one of the most original (and best) 912's in existance so what he doesn't know about them...(etc.)
3.2 Carrera
Flat 4 McCor
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Flat 4 McCor »

Feel free to pop round my garage and have a look at my car, it's all standard and will be a good guide for you. If that's any use to you let me know and I'll send you my address (Shaftesbury)
Glen

1965 Beetle
1967 912 coupe
Barwaut
DDK Fanatic

Post by Barwaut »

Touring all of the south coast of the UK this Easter....
'67 912 White Black Coupe
'68 912 Slate Grey Red Leather Targa
roadiesean
DDK forever

Post by roadiesean »

Try Max at Revival Cars, he is THE 912 guy in the UK. He has been working on my 912 for the past year and he is a miracle worker.
newto912
DDK addict

Post by newto912 »

Thanks for your replies
so some success , have cleaned and lined the petrol tank, connected new bits and fired her up. She works! plumes of black smoke soon clear and to my untrained ear sounds ok!
in process of rebuilding pedal cluster.
the throttle linkage from the side of the gearbox was missing , so the correct part ordered and threaded through the oval hole in the tinware at the beck of the engine.The problem now is that the socket is about 2 cm away from the ball on the lever that connects to the crosspiece which operates the carbs.
how can that be?
further research reveals that although my engine/car was finished in 3/1966, I have a later engine mount used from 4/1966. see http://www.darrylsgarage.com/912/912START.htm about 4/5 down the page showing mounting diagrams.
I have been under the car and the tinware does seem to sit correctly and cant be forced any lower.
could a different engine mounting make such a difference?
the only solution I can see is to drop the engine and elongate the oval hole through the tinware so the linkage will drop to the ball?
anyone had a similar problem or have any suggestions?
thanks
1966 912 LHD
1980 911 SC Targa
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

newto912 wrote:Thanks for your replies
so some success , have cleaned and lined the petrol tank, connected new bits and fired her up. She works! plumes of black smoke soon clear and to my untrained ear sounds ok!
in process of rebuilding pedal cluster.
the throttle linkage from the side of the gearbox was missing , so the correct part ordered and threaded through the oval hole in the tinware at the beck of the engine.The problem now is that the socket is about 2 cm away from the ball on the lever that connects to the crosspiece which operates the carbs.
how can that be?
further research reveals that although my engine/car was finished in 3/1966, I have a later engine mount used from 4/1966. see http://www.darrylsgarage.com/912/912START.htm about 4/5 down the page showing mounting diagrams.
I have been under the car and the tinware does seem to sit correctly and cant be forced any lower.
could a different engine mounting make such a difference?
the only solution I can see is to drop the engine and elongate the oval hole through the tinware so the linkage will drop to the ball?
anyone had a similar problem or have any suggestions?
thanks
You are already well ahead technically of me go onto the http://www.912bbs.org/vb/forum.php post some pictures and a guru will come along to help.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Not sure why they would have altered the height of the engine at the point they changed engine mounts, but it is possible I suppose (gearbox angle would have changed too if this was the case but uj at front of gearbox would allow for this. Rear suspension geometry would surely be affected though unless compensation was also made there?)

Have you checked all of the linkage components are correctly adjusted, free from damage or modification? There are many components in the linkage, when I first bought my car a few of these components needed replacement, adjustment in order to function correctly, in particular the large coat hanger looking piece by the gearbox had been badly repaired in the past and was not functioning correctly.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Is the 912 linkage through the tunnel and gearbox pivot the same as a 911?

You might find its more to do with the throttle rod length from pedal to gearbox pivot
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
newto912
DDK addict

Post by newto912 »

Neil , thanks for the advice, bbs had the answer.
had to flip the lever over as it was incorrectly attached in the engine bay. reattach , and attach the long coat hanger type linkage.
has saved me a lot of grief!
on to the next problem!
Andrew
1966 912 LHD
1980 911 SC Targa
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

newto912 wrote:Neil , thanks for the advice, bbs had the answer.
had to flip the lever over as it was incorrectly attached in the engine bay. reattach , and attach the long coat hanger type linkage.
has saved me a lot of grief!
on to the next problem!
Andrew
No problem. They are a bit grumpy about knowing your real name but once you get pass that they are very helpful. There are a couple of real experts on there whose advice you should take first (IMHO)! Tim B / Jack Staggs have shops and been working on these cars for years. Next Mike Horton / Peter Graham aren't professional car mechanics but are very good. Mike Horton in builds aircraft engines so 616 engines are easy!

We still have a pass for Stanford on Sunday 1 May if you want to come along, display your car, and meet other 912 UK owners? If your car isn't ready then come along away.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
newto912
DDK addict

Post by newto912 »

Hi Neil
Thanks for the offer , I would love to met you guys and see what I should be aspiring to!
My motor is still a way off, and I am already busy with another commitment.
Next year hopefully!
1966 912 LHD
1980 911 SC Targa