Help/Advice on fuel tank treatment for my 108L

A dedicated area for Porsche Tractor Chat

Moderator: hot66

Tom866
DDK Newbie

Help/Advice on fuel tank treatment for my 108L

Post by Tom866 »

Hi,

Wonder if anyone would be able to help with some advice. I have currently got my fuel tank removed from my 108L and have stripped the outside ready to re-paint due to some rust spots. While I have it out I would also like to treat the inside. There is quite a lot of rust at the bottom which I have managed to loosen some with a extended wire brush on a drill. However I'm not sure which route to take now.

I'm looking at using the POR-15 tank restore kit to remove the remaining rust and treat the tank. Has anyone had any experience of using this product and is it any good? I did want to try avoid washing the tank out with water however this product is used with water.

http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct. ... de=094.940

Would just like to hear what other people recommend before I buy something that may or may not work.

Thanks,

Tom
vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Help/Advice on fuel tank treatment for my 108L

Post by vwgillybilly »

I recently did my 356 tank with POR - 15 tank sealer & it worked a treat.

Leave yourself plenty of time to allow it to dry, mine sat for about a month.

Gill.
1959 356A UK RHD AFN no. 400

1962 Porsche - Diesel Junior 109
Tom866
DDK Newbie

Re: Help/Advice on fuel tank treatment for my 108L

Post by Tom866 »

Thanks Gill. After your comment I decided to go for the POR-15. Very impressed with it especially how it cleaned the tank up before treating it. The only issue I had was after coating the tank with the paint I struggled to get all the excess paint out. I thought I had got it all out however 24 hrs later it had pooled in one corner of the tank.

Before I Started:

After degreasing and metal prep solution had been applied:

After POR-15 Coating had been applied