Pre-war fun.

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

Merlinmadness
DDK Seasoned Poster

Pre-war fun.

Post by Merlinmadness »

I've been into cars for as long as I can remember. As a child things were rather nebulous - a mate's dad had a V12 pre HE XJS that we used to love watching the digital read out of miles per gallon go to 0.0!. A chap in the suburb had a 308: 'if you work hard, son, one day you can have a Ferrari'. My dad's car ownership was firmly in the realms of practicality with a lack of storage and support for a recreational vehicle. He did however have a couple of Velocette motorcycles throughout my childhood. One, a 10 year old Viper when he bought it and well used, and the other a 1938 MSS that he rescued from a youth in the black country who was going to chop it. This vehicle lived with me all of my childhood. Pre eBay there were trips to Stafford to find elusive bits, turning parts on the lathe. It was finally finished last year!

Once I passed my test and got my first job, my first car was a 1973 GT6 now very much missed. Unfortunately a return to university and a prang, along with nowhere to keep it resulted in me selling that car. For some slightly inexplicable reason, other than there was one I used to look at in the local Volvo dealer, I bought an 1800ES. Several years of use later, it became apparent it was shockingly rotten. Again, against any vestige of common sense my dad and I decided to restore it.

Studies, jobs, marriage and at the beginning of last year I found myself the owner of a nearly finished 1800ES, a Porsche 911 2.7 that introduced me to this fantastic site and people (the restoration threads keep me enthralled for hours), an MGB bought off a mate at a wedding unseen and a Fiat 500 that my wife and I restored over one winter. Too many cars to be compatible with life and the spattering to driving ratio was becoming rather suboptimal. Courtesy of a fantastic garage at our house storage was no longer an issue, but steel always prayed on my mind. Rust never sleeps.

A few years ago we started going to a few VSCC/HSCC/Goodwood events and got hooked. I was particularly enthralled with the VSCC - the smells, sounds and aura in a relaxed (at least on the outside) atmosphere in historic settings with a timeless feel to them. We began to think about some classic motorsport and initially thought that turning the MG into a rally type car would be good fun. Values of the cars had always been on my mind, not really in terms of profit, but what would I be able to sell them for and then consolidate the collection. I'd always used to say that I wouldn't sell another car, after the GT6, but then I realised not only do I have a full time job, house, wife, dog etc, but I also wasn't a man of independent means! And some cars aren't that great.

The MG was the first to go. Surprisingly picky group of potential customers, but went to a lovely guy. Great fun car, but rubbish engineering. Then the forcing hand. At Prescott in August and there was a Riley special with a phone number in the window. After a week of cogitating i made a phone call. How much? Oh. Well, if I sell the 911 and the Volvo, then maybe. Where are you? About 10 miles away. 'You'd better come and have a spin in it'. Ok. Sat on the squab, suspended 6" above the road with no windscreen, the aroma of oil and rubber and the cacophony of the Monza exhaust 2 ft from my left ear. Hooked. The chap selling had invested many years and many pounds sorting the car and was prepared to give me time to come up with the cash after leaving him a deposit. The heat was on!

Although I loved my 911 and it was highly original and drove 20k miles in it over 5 years I'd got ambitions of hot-rodding it that in reality were not going to happen with my other commitments. It went to a local chap who will hopefully get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Then the Volvo. I ended-up putting it into an auction after very little interest in the usual places. It worked well as a deadline and a lot of hours went in to it. It sold, but slightly to my annoyance was flipped by a dealer for a lot more 48hrs later!

In case you are wondering, the Fiat, rebuilt by my wife and myself, one previous owner, and used as our wedding car is not, and hopefully never will be, for sale.

I then found that I'd got the money together, and I am now the proud owner of a non steel bodied car. In summary:

Riley 9 chassis modified to Ulster Imp spec, with lots of FW Dixon modifications, including body bracing. Fairly trick 12/4 engine, Silent (not very) 3rd gearbox with Brooklands remote and rear tub from a genuine Antipodean Brooklands. Some minor fettling over the winter and then hopefully some hill climb and sprint fun next year, once my buff form arrives. The future may include painting and some other titivating. The engineering is clever and simple at the same time, and all easily accessible, which is fantastic. I know there are several vintageants on here and I look forward to meeting you in due course.

Regarding DDK and 911s: one day I hope to re-aquaint myself with an old 911, ideally a pre-impact bumper model. And I'll always lurk around here to keep up with Jamie's, Sladey's, Amallagh's and Jon's restorations, to follow in the footsteps of Ferryman's and the others. Truly inspirational stuff, whatever you own or drive.

Chris

1935 Riley Ulster Imp 12/4 Special
1972 Fiat 500L - the missus' runabout

1976 2.7 Lux - gone to a new home
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Pre-war fun.

Post by KS »

Wow! I think any one of us with petrol in our veins could be tempted by that! 8)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Ahah: Good car that, for a Riley of course. Welcome to the VSCC-on-DDk group, you are not alone! When/where is your first outing? Where are you?
W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
53Scat
DDK Newbie

Post by 53Scat »

What great proportions , looks like a lot of fun
1953 Son Auto Outlaw
sladey

Post by sladey »

Nice post - thanks for sharing

I was reading down and thinking 'surely he's not selling the 911' and then you did and I'm thinking "hmm it had better be worth it" - then I got to the pictures and Wow! That looks gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. I bet it smells great too.

If you take it racing/hill climbing please make sure you post reports - likewise I'm sure there are many on here that would be fascinated by any mechanical changes/ bodywork fettling and so on
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Very nice - looks like a lot of fun ! 8)
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

Superb, a friend has got into that scene over the last few years. I hope you'll update us as you campaign it
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
Mike

Post by Mike »

Wonderful post and do keep us updated with how you get on!

I'd love a prewar at some stage, can't stretch to a Peter Gregory K3 rep but been watching a couple of close relatives available
at the moment. There's a supercharged 1934 MG Q type and a six cylinder 1933 MG L type that look interesting across the
channel, and a 1933 3 litre Lagonda still around which I posted before and Winston seemed to take a very dim view of!

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

Bravo!

I've always fancied something pre war, and when I lived in Cumbria one of the standard motorsport trips out was to the VSCC Northern Trial in early November. I always aspired to a chain gang Frazer Nash, but that boat sailed a long time ago. Rileys were always rather more affordable, (relative term!), and that looks a really nice one.

Have fun, and keep the DDKers posted!
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Wow. Great proportions. Beautiful.

A beautiful 1930s sports car is one of the only things I'd ever sell the Porsche for. That, a Tatra T87, and a Spartan Executive.

Saw a really beautiful supercharged Amilcar for sale not that long ago, which didn't hang around. Was bare aluminium, like yours. The best look.

Enjoy the journey!
'68 912
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Great, what a car. I grew up with frequent visits in the family Bristol 405 to places like Prescott and Shelsley Walsh, VSCC events at Silverstone etc. The sights, sound and smells I'll never forget. I too could be so easily tempted into the competition world if the VSCC too.
As for pre-war, I do get to drive my mums two old cars. Somewhat slower, probably, but with oodles of character each of them.
At 20 mph on the flat, they are certainly not race cars.
Looking forward to updates !!
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

have you not "megasquirted" them yet tim?!
Merlinmadness
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Merlinmadness »

Thanks for all the kind comments chaps. I'll certainly keep you updated. There are bound to be some trials and tribulations.

Winston-I'm in Warwickshire between Leamington and Kenilworth. Hoping to start with Cuborough. I think I'm developing a slight understanding of the FN view of the world!

Mike-those cars all look great. The whine of a supercharger is one of the greatest sounds known to man. There's room at the front of mine for one, but fortunately the coffers are dry. That Lagonda looks amazing. Ignore Winston on that one I think.
1935 Riley Ulster Imp 12/4 Special
1972 Fiat 500L - the missus' runabout

1976 2.7 Lux - gone to a new home
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Great stuff, we'll prob meet at Curborough. The FN view is rather like the Porsche view, if you've tried them, and liked them nothing else comes up to scratch. There are so many pre war cars that look the part but just don't perform like the look. It's all about what you want to do, you have chosen well! Riley has excellent tunability, plenty of friendly expertise, good spares availability and solid design. Supercharged MGs are noisy and highly strung, you have to work very hard to be and remain even a bit competitive. As for 3 ltr Lagondas, a cracked block (it is all 80 years old) could easily be a 30k problem f you don't do diy engines. All for a 55-60mph cruiser. Not my bag but I'm glad someone likes them.
W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I came very close to selling the 911 last year for such a type of car as this.
After a chat at the Chateau IMPNEY hill climb last year, one of whom has a remarkable FNash which he hill climbs.
That chat eased my romance with the VSCC world, and it was agreed that a Model A Ford would be better for me and the wife!

I would love a vintage car but not confident I would really want it all the time!

I hope you will give us some good updates like your intro was, it will be very interesting.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9