Aga Blue 67S

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Re: Aga Blue 67S

Post by MarkIII »

Glad to say my car is coming along quite well, mechanically we are almost there, suspension, breaks systems, fuel system and engine and box are all in:

Interior is coming along picked up my seats from Garry Hall's, very pleased with how Garry has managed to replicate the finish on the 67 sports seat as well as save as much of the Recaro seat material as possible. more on this once there in the car.

So headliner and associated bits are in the car along with the dash and the all important wheel.

One issue we have had is with one side of the front suspension rubbing against the inner tyre, Believe this is down to a slightly bent front strut, so this resulted in having to purchase another set of the hard to find front Koni's, luckily there was a set available from Germany fingers crossed that these turn out to be straight, to date 3 front Koni's purchased from the US and two have ended up being bent.

Just see where the inner wall of the tyre has been rubbing on the upper strut

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Looking great
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

murph2309
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by murph2309 »

That sounds cool. The car's looking great! Love green dash gauges....

Exciting progress
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Great stuff, it's going to be a wonderful car.
If you have a moment, please do post some pictures of the seats.
Cheers, Richard.
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

inaglasshouse wrote:Great stuff, it's going to be a wonderful car.
If you have a moment, please do post some pictures of the seats.
Cheers, Richard.
Cheers Richard
The seats I am especially pleased with, finish will not be to everyone's taste as I have tried to retain as much or the original material/ finish as possible, rather than go for the fully retrimmed look.

Planning on posting before and after pictures once they are in the car which will be next week.

Driver seat is an original 67 sports bucket seat and the passenger seat is a 68 sports recaro, more to follow on these when the cars on the road

Cheers
Mark
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Sounds and looks amazing 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Awesome!
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

MarkIII wrote: Cheers Richard
The seats I am especially pleased with, finish will not be to everyone's taste as I have tried to retain as much or the original material/ finish as possible, rather than go for the fully retrimmed look.
Planning on posting before and after pictures once they are in the car which will be next week.
Thanks Mark. I like your approach, in theory, and am trying to go the same way with my interior (as far as possible). But, as I'm sure you have fully pondered, it is hard to know when putting old with shiny is OK, and when it just makes the old stuff look crappy!
Look forward to seeing the pics and, hopefully, the finished car at some point. Hedingham?
Cheers, Richard.
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

Thanks Mark. I like your approach, in theory, and am trying to go the same way with my interior (as far as possible). But, as I'm sure you have fully pondered, it is hard to know when putting old with shiny is OK, and when it just makes the old stuff look crappy!

Richard

The majority of my interior is now finished, and we have experienced first hand issues with old and faded vinly against new, no matter how much you try and distress and try your best to get a level of patina in freshly covered bits, they still stand out a little. Have also discovered fist hand of old crappy bits you think will fit end up being way out so a few bits had to be recovered.

will post a few pictures later this week.

Look forward to seeing the pics and, hopefully, the finished car at some point. Hedingham?

Planning on attending Headingham, hopfully with a finished car
Cheers, Richard.[/quote]
MarkIII
I luv DDK!

Post by MarkIII »

i know there are a few seat fetish members on this forum, so my next update will probably go down well with those few members, for the majority of everyone else you will probably think i have a bit of a problem.

Firstly i have to thank Mr Garry Hall (VisualFX) for his attention to detail and taking on my seats......he had his work cut-out....

The plan for my car was to always replicate with as many original parts as possible an interior which would have been in a car back in 67/68, with as much patina as possible. So i was really pleased when i managed to get my hands on an original 67 race bucket seat which was basically just a bare shell and a 68 Recaro sports seat which had been in storage for a while.

So the plan for the 67 bucket seat was perforated bolsters and corderoy inserts. i have seen many photographs of sports purpose cars back in the the late 60 which had this finish.
For the 68 recaro, well the majority of the seat was in good condition, apart from a fre marks on the back of the seat and on the perforated bolsters the material look great, so this would just be cleaned. The inserts were a different matter, i have always loved the faded worn brown discolouration finish on old corderoy seats and this is what i wanted to replicate, the inserts on the 68 were to far gone with several rips etc so there was only one thing to do.....

67 race bucket seat:

68 Recaro seat

So this first picture shows the original corderoy inserts, the material is lovely and faded showing that classic brown worn discolouration

I attempted to replicate this look by taking some corderoy samples and exposing them to various concentrations of bleach as you can see the results were not to good. An original control sample shows just how black the original material is.

So after talking to Garry the best course of action was to obtain sufficient material for covering two seats and then exposing the material to sunlight for a prolonged period of time.

So back last spring the material arrived and for the next 3-4 months on any dry sunny day the material got pinged on a washing line outside....

Sad i know but the results i was very pleased with:

Finished Seat looks pretty good

Unfortunatley i do not have any pictures of the completed 67 bucket seat, after picking the seat up from Garry Hall's it went straight to my rebuilders for installation. It looks just as cool as the 68 seat. Will provide some further pictures after the interior is completed

Cheers
Mark
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Like the way you're thinking, Mark! That seat looks great.
So much cooler than the 911R at Canepa...
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Work of art that seat!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

I love attention to detail. Great work.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
Magnum
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Magnum »

Fantastic Mark :cheers:

That ranks very close to curry paste for number plate screws......!!! There I was thinking brown shoe polish on my wooden 917 style gear knob was reasonable commitment.... :shock:

Cheers
Magnus

1972 3.2 RS lightweight. Still a bit scary...
1987 3.2 Carrera. Sold..
1972 Alfa 1750 GTV. Sold...
1971 911E in Silver. So lovely, sold..
1971 911S. sold....
1972 BMW CSL. Stupidly sold...
1968 Land Rover SIIa SWB..rusted in half...