Homage to Landies....

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

murph2309
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Homage to Landies....

Post by murph2309 »

Loved this piece in the Times yesterday celebrating / mourning the last Defender off the line....I know there are a few fans / owners on here, so thought you might like this eulogy.

Matthew Parris
Time seemed to stop: a frozen moment, wild, terrifying, yet with a kind of stillness. I seemed pinned in space. Below me our Land Rover was plunging into a deep earth ditch. Above me stretched the blue African sky into which I was launched, an involuntary spaceman. I’d been violently bucked from my favourite place, the roof-rack, and was describing a small parabola above a maize field in northern Cameroon before falling to earth some 20 feet from the car.

I was 24. Stanley, our vehicle, was 12. We had crashed. I heard Stanley hit the other side of the gully as I lay on the dry earth; heard the windows falling out; heard from the field that unmistakably African “A! A! A!” from a group of labouring women, which means “Good gracious, can you believe it? — Whatever next?” — or, in this case, “A white boy has just dropped from the sky”.
Was I dead? I raised my head to check. No blood, no wounds. Legs and arms still on. Trying to get up I realised both arms had dislocated at the shoulder in a futile bid to hold on to the roof-rack. Only bruised, my three comrades staggered over to rejoice at my survival. The women ululated. Windows were popped back into frames, shoulders re-located, and we carried on to the Congo, Rwanda, Tanganyika and Nairobi.

We sold Stanley in Nairobi, where I discovered a difference in how best to pitch an all-terrain vehicle to black — or white — African potential buyers. White buyers wanted to hear that our vehicle had led a cosseted life. Black buyers were impressed to hear it had been through hell and survived. I prefer the black African view.

That Series IIA marked the point by which the Land Rover had assumed for ever its iconic form: a sturdy rectangular platform on a brutal steel chassis making up the lower half of the car, two sheets of glass divided by a metal strip serving as the windscreen, and a largely aluminium cabin bolted on top like a box, square and flat. The whole, composed of apparently rudimentary parts, exudes a whiff of expert, de-frilled design. That post-war austerity image, functionality-over-form, became in itself a kind of form, looking forward to the end-century’s craze for “de-constructionism”. The brutalism was the appeal: the vehicular opposite of the chihuahua in the handbag. If your car had a car, it would be a Land Rover.

Yesterday, the last model rolled off the production line in Solihull. A growing web of regulation has finally ensnared the old stager. Entirely predictably it was beginning to fail EU safety standards — and hadn’t met US standards for almost two decades. Jaguar Land Rover say they are replacing it, but my Land Rover co-religionists and I — we who take “Land Rover” to mean the marque that’s been in continuous production since 1948 — know that this week, the Land Rover, if not Land Rover, died. The decision fills me with melancholy but it is the right one. I shall try not to say “iconic” again though there is no better word for the vehicle’s status, but in the end, as the Morris Minor, the VW Beetle, the Trabant and the Citröen 2CV had also finally to accept, fame is not enough: sentimentality will only take a sales-pitch so far.

There’s irony in that. It’s the unsentimentality of the Land Rover that we’re sentimental about. The marque’s utilitarian aura had become its selling-point — yet most buyers’ use for the car doesn’t justify the purchase. The Land Rover was probably doomed from the day the first Toyota Land Cruiser hit the market: cheaper, less brutalist and even more reliable, the Japanese 4x4s were all most owners needed.

Still, though, the legend lived on. The claim that three quarters of the Land Rovers ever made are still on the road was always credible, whether or not true. Certainly a Land Rover’s capacity not quite to die is unrivalled. When the dashboard of my 1959 Land Rover caught fire in Derbyshire I drove on, simply ripping out some wires. In a cloudburst in Saumur we used the crank to start it. At 14,000 feet in the Bolivian Andes and trying to reach the Chilean border, the skills I’d acquired for making the electrics work with bits of old wire earned us admiration — and a ride — from the coca-dazed South American Indian owner of an old red Land Rover that in Britain you’d hardly bother to drag out of a ditch.
This vehicle has always mixed myth with reality. We like to think of the Land Rover as a supremely British original. In fact it’s an automotive tribute act to the American Willys Jeep that earned its spurs and its fame during the Second World War. Land Rover fanatics will kill me for saying this, but I think the more Stakhanovite Jeep takes the gold. We insist the Land Rover was always “tougher” than the poncier and more comfortable SUVs that now crowd the market — but for sheer resilience I’d say Toyota take the gold.

The prize that I’d gladly award the Land Rover is for an un-British quality: classlessness. As a young Tory candidate in Derbyshire in 1979 I found mine ideal for canvassing. On council estates a Range Rover could raise hackles; up gravel drives a Ford Cortina could raise eyebrows.
Of course I didn’t need a Land Rover, but the car elided need and want in a seductive way. It looks like a car of need: I have it because I must drive across fields, drag things, drive down rough tracks or off on a hunting safari. For some people, some of those needs may be real, for many they won’t — but for these many a Land Rover offered reassurance that despite our lives’ appearances we really were somehow rugged, daring, exciting. Those are good things, and a Land Rover reminds us of them, making for us a little boast.

The sparse and visible engineering speak to economic man, a modern equivalent of a caveman’s campfire, the “needs-must” in us all: the — yes — defender. It’s all about necessity, and the atavistic satisfaction that brings. As Peak District off-roaders prove every weekend, life offers no higher satisfaction than getting absolutely stuck, and then getting out of it.
Motoring as a pleasure is dying, a victim not only of jams and traffic lights and motorways that all feel the same, but also of our modern liberation. Owning a car used to be a lifeline to personal independence, but we’re no longer trapped at home. Motor cars as personalities, rescuers, friends, will soon be forgotten. And (oh the horror of the cliché that looms) as that last Land Rover rolled from the production line in Solihull this week, a little bit of me died.
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
Uk911
DDK forever

Re: Homage to Landies....

Post by Uk911 »

Had two in the past, loved em both.........RIP Land Rover......
mrk
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrk »

Me, the Mrs, Scottish Highlands, in this would be nice....

Best

Matt

2015 Bowler Defender #50
BMW M3 Touring
BMW X3
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

^ I like that a lot.

I still miss my 110 as it was a great vehicle for work and play. It towed 3 tonne boat trailers, carried huge amounts of kit for camping/surfing/biking trips etc and was cheap as chips to run. Contrary to reputation, it was also totally reliable and my kids absolutely loved it too.
It's undoing was our first ski trip, where an 800 mile autoroute road trip proved too much of an assault on the senses, plus the frustration of paying Peage tolls but not be able to go any faster! It was fun once we were there though and I wish I'd had a camera to capture the look of others digging their cars out of the carpark after a huge fresh snowfall when I just fired it up and drove out the drift.

Soon after that trip it was replaced by a Discovery, which is a much better family car overall, but lacks the character and is dramatically more expensive to run.

It's sad (if inevitable) that the Land Rover's day has passed, but I look forward to how LR try to replace it. If they keep it functional and can resist the urge to over-complicate and -style it, that could be a car I'd want to own. Based on recent launches like the soft-top Evoque, I'm not too confident...
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Never wanted one, but can see why so many love them.
Some farmer friends live by them.

Was it just emissions or safety etc that did for the design?

With today's rules can it ever be designed again with the same ethics and appeal?
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Must be Safety - they have been running the 2.2 turbo diesel lump that is in the Evoque, Disco Sport, Jag XF and numerous other cars (think it's a Peugeot motor)
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

I think it was more to do with crash-testing but also probably an element of economics, as the Defender appears very labour intensive to build (and probably requires an excess of rectification work) but not luxurious enough to sell as a premium product.
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I gather with the Demise of the defender and the soon new discovery replacing the current model ( commercial option Available ) , LR now don't offer any commercial vehicles
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
alanjf
DDK Fanatic

Post by alanjf »

Just like the 911 - irreplaceable!

Burma-Shave
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Burma-Shave »

Goodbye Landy. We had a 110, but not for long. Nonetheless if they don't replace it with something properly bauhaus in the vein of a Dacia duster, and give in to making a retro obsessed trinket, it'll be such a shame..

From sniff petrol:

As the last Land Rover Defender leaves the production line this morning, the car’s biggest fans blasted newcomers who have snapped up the last remaining examples of the venerable 4×4.

‘I wanted to get one of the last Defenders but they’d all been bought by bloody country folk,’ complained Arabella Occasional-Tayble of Hampstead. ‘And what are they doing to do with them? Probably just drive them across fields. I bet they won’t even attempt to use them for the school run. It’s such a shame.’

‘I saw a chap in a brand new Defender only the other day, claiming to work for a utility company or forestry management or something,’ grumbled Hugo Byfold-Dawes of Notting Hill. ‘Best of luck to you, I thought. You mark my words, he’ll find it rather hard work compared to the Hilux or whatever he had before.’

‘These country people heard about the death of the Defender and all of a sudden they want to get one so they can pretend they live in the city,’ fumed Bunty Skeeing-Holliday of Fulham. ‘These aren’t real Defender people and they aren’t buying them for real reasons such as thinking they look nice and grudgingly having to drive them whenever Charlie’s taken the Range Rover.’

Land Rover is currently working on a brand new Defender which it says will boast modern technology and efficiency without losing any of its legendary ability to find a parking space outside Waitrose.

:compress:
1990 964 C4, 1999 Boxster 2.5
And..'89 BMW E30 325i Touring. '83 Mercedes 280E. '84 Citroen 2CV. '16 BMW i3 REx. '03 BMW R1100S. '99 Yamaha R1. '79 BMW R100 scrambler.

Member#0336
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Tosh wrote:Must be Safety...
Nothing has changed in the European Union for years from a safety regulation perspective. However it's lack of compliance for North America (for many years now) and probably Russia & China (various new regs), start to make it uncompetitive.

I've never seen the appeal, but I can understand why it's the kind of vehicle you could get very attached to.

Not quite sure just what they will replace it with?
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I keep reading this thread titles as Ladies Homage and getting more and more disappointed every time in open it
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

And I read fromage to ladies, imagining Brie-laden drones swooping low over nail bars... or some such crap!
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

I used one for most days of my 25yrs Army Service and they were the most awful thing ever invented. Bleak, cold, uncomfortable, lethal to drive and even more lethal if you crashed even at slow speed, all those exposed sharp edges. When fitted with sand tyres they were nigh on impossible to turn into a corner on the road, no where to store your rifle where it was accessable fast enough if needed , yet I loved them. One of my memories is trying to do a handbrake turn in one in a wet field not realising the handbrake worked on the prop shaft. Silly Boy as Captain Manwairing would have called me.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
Splitpin
DDK Fanatic

Post by Splitpin »

ImageImage