M & W 550 Windscreen

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

barryb
I luv DDK!

M & W 550 Windscreen

Post by barryb »

Hi

I am having a problem fitting the screen to my 550. Everything looks good as far as position goes but the pillars are not a good fit at all on either side.

The instructions talk of spacers which I don't have and don't know where they fit or whether they would make any difference. It is the same with the tension bar fitted or not. The bottom rail is fitted exactly where the guide positions were marked so I am happy that the bottom of the screen is in the right place.
Is there anyone who has had a similar problem who give me some pointers or give me some close up pictures of the pillars and their position on the body.
I had a slot booked with the painter this week but don't want to paint and then have to modify when I find the problem.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Barry
2007 Cayman
2008 Mini R56 JCW
1962 356BT6 Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupé
1960 MGA 1600
1950 MG TD
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster
Member# 661
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: M & W 550 Windscreen

Post by mdmax72 »

Hi Barry,

Did you get the complete screen and frame from M&W?

Difficult to tell from the pictures but how would it sit without the rubber at the bottom. Also check whilst the rubber is off, check to bottom profile edge of the glass to the scuttle panel to see if any discrepancies.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Barry,
Looks a bit of a dilemma. I suspect I will hit the same issue when I try fitting my speedster screen.
I know H-G had to grind/ file the bottom of the posts for a better mating fit and used a chunky flat gasket, however, he was using a one piece steel screen surround rather than the three piece we have. If top and bottom of the screen fit correctly you may have no other choice but to follow the same route.
One area maybe to look at is how the screen post spigot is bolted through the body. I have not cut the spigot short but used a bolt and long tube. I also welded a large flat washer on to the end of the tube at an angle so that it is flat to the underside of the body when the bolt is tightened up. Dont think this is your problem but you maybe able to pull the post to the body, always fear cracking the screen when applying too much torque!
One last thing apparently if you are using a laminated screen you need to use a sealer around the edge of the screen to stop any water ingress and eventual fogging.
Good luck
Greg
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
barryb
I luv DDK!

Post by barryb »

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

mdmax72

The screen is a genuine M & W, I will try without the lower rubber seal to see if there is any improvement.

Greg

I looked at grinding but then decided against it. The washer is a good idea as when the spigot is tightened you can hear cracking sounds as the upright digs into the body. I also thought about making a hard rubber block to fit between the upright and the body but did not have much success. Another thought was to mask body and screen and fill the gap with black silicone making an in situ gasket, this could be done during final assembly after painting.
Thanks for the tip on sealing the top of the screen.

Barrie (M & W) has been in touch and is sending some bits that might help alleviate the problem, I'll keep you posted.

Barry
2007 Cayman
2008 Mini R56 JCW
1962 356BT6 Cabriolet
1964 356C Coupé
1960 MGA 1600
1950 MG TD
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster
Member# 661
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Barry,

Agree maybe not the best idea to grind the bottom of the post, certainly making it shorter may give problems with screen fit. Maybe a aluminium block spacer cut to the post profile and then grind to matching angle would work. Hopefully Barrie is sending you some suitable parts. :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica