E Type 888330

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

hot66

Re: E Type 888330

Post by hot66 »

Looking good JP :cheers:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

A stunning piece of work, superbly documented, you should 'do' a photobook of this rebuild. I would be a great resource. I have no desire for an E type but id love a copy of your story. Well done, W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Actually, that's not true, There is now one Jaguar I very much covet..........
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Cracking work as always JP, and a beautiful result
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Mr. Parr, may I ask how this project has progressed?

John
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Hi John

Truth is the car has had a small amount of use..but a few other events have affected its deployment

Initial driving revealed a slight clunk at the rear, which I diagnosed as needing thicker shims in the rear hub/driveshaft region…. This was fairly easy to fix and I think the problem has gone away

Next on the list is the lack of lumbar support which I am slowly getting a little bit more used to but seem to find it a strategically placed slim cushion at the base of my back solves the problem

I also change the standard moto-lita steering wheel for a smaller Nardi one which definatelmakes steering at low speeds even more of a challenge but it does give me more room and generally is a more ergonomically satisfying shape with which to steer the car… As per usual it did require a bespoke tweaking of a specially sourced original aluminium hub by Barry and then by me as I have only just recently modified another original horn push assembly to suit

The Moss gearbox is a delightful challenge and certainly has caught me out more than once or twice as selecting second gear at time is it an amazingly difficult operation… However once the engine and gearbox is fully warmed up it certainly does seem to move nicely… I actually quite enjoy driving the car in a more graceful kind of way…..less thrashing that you would normally do in a 911 and just using the torque of the engine to waft along…..sometimes at low speeds and then once in a while as you would expect what somewhat higher speeds

The biggest change was sadly the death of a very close friend and soon after, the pronouncement of terminal cancer for another close friend which made me, as I’m sure it does everyone, realise that life is far too damn short and that other projects that were perhaps going to be realised later needed to be addressed now

…… So naturally… I have bought myself another project car… This will be documented in the near future and I know that one or two of you guys actually know what I bought… And I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that some others can probably guess what it…….so a lot of my time has recently been taken up with works to the house and building another home for the third arrival as I have run out of garage space…!

So ….once in a while I go out for an hour or two of a drive….along a little circuit I have begun to adopt which is great fun and I do enjoy time in the car…both slowly and gracefully moving along and then …..towards the end of the run along the A3 at somewhat unmentionable speeds and wafting past electric cars 60 years younger than mine

I have to say the little thing that gives me perhaps the greatest pleasure is the amount of smiles and thumbs up and waves and …..even stares ……. I’m sure the car is recognisable to many but I am genuinely convinced that some of the younger drivers (more than one or two young lads in fancy BMWs who give enthusiastic thumbs up and nods of appreciation) do not actually know what the cars is…….they just probably assume it’s something old and exotic… how could I disagree….I never tire of admiring her as the graceful and beautiful object she is

See you all at CLM for sure…..
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Above paints a really nice image and attitude IMHO, good on you.

Stone chips on the nose driving to Classic Le Mans, perfect. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Thanks for your update and sorry to hear about the sad stuff you’ve encountered … I can relate. I know there are many beautifully restored E-types out there, but the work you and Barry have done does rather set yours apart.

Kind regards,
John
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

I love this car…..added a pair of door mirrors…not brilliant but not bad…and more reassuring to be driving with….

[/quote]
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

That picture says a 1,000,000 words, all good. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

That looks superb. I just love the wheels, bumpers, colour ..... when do we get to see it in the flesh?
The force is strong in this one ......
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Morning all….I will be taking it to CLM….and if I could actually remember to put the Fairmile dates in the diary I would be there too…
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Beautiful picture and as you’ve built it, an absolute object of art.

It would be interesting to understand your view as to how it compares and contrasts with the 911 experience now that you’ve started to use it a little more…
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

That is so sweet, distilled to the essence and, compared to a regular e-type is what an RS is to a regular 73 911.

More piccies, please. Interior, engine, etc.

Thanks much,
John
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Saw the car yesterday at the Fairmile. Probably one of the very best early E Types in the UK. What an incredible machine built to a very exacting standard with one or two very subtle modifications which actually enhance and distinguish the vehicle. Finished in Gunmetal grey which suits the fabulously svelte shape of an early E Type. Mr P
the car is a testament to the anally retentive!
Rust Never Sleeps