E Type 888330

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

E Type 888330

Post by jtparr »

It was 03.51am and I had just bought an E Type

On my blackberry......in Majorca on holiday...on ebay...and sober

It had only taken me around 30 years, but with all that time to think abut it I had broken the basic rule of don't buy before you see it

I had no idea what it was really like, the seller was apparently more of an Alfa dealer selling the car on behalf of another classic car dealer, I didn't really know if it was for real and within 24 hours I had to wire a whole lump of money

Since I was a teenager I had always wanted one....can't even remember why this started if I am truly honest...but I have always loved the first generation of the XKE as they were also called and one day I knew I would have to have one, and although one made the day I was born would be the perfect find, something close or with a connection to me would fit the bill just nicely

This one was close......and it was black....not for everyone...but those who know me know I like my cars black

So I went back to sleep, with these images ......

Oh.......and it was in Florida..................what could possibly go wrong

To those of you who have imported cars this is probably a breeze....but not for me......... I had no idea truly how to organise shipping or insurance

In the few days prior to my winning bid, Costas (the seller) had been a pleasure to deal with.......as I toyed (whilst sitting by the pool, the odd beer nearby) with the idea of whether to make a bid I figured I needed to cut to the chase and ring him. It had 5 days to go in the auction when I spotted it....re - listed due to not making its reserve....so I called the number and tried to find out more

First off.....she was originally cream....(later in the 60's referred to as Old English white)...but it was matching numbers, described as largely complete and with just 2 previous owners, she was last used in the 1980's and laid up in storage ever since.....however according to the Title had been black longer than she was originally OEW.......good enough provenance for me

Costas could organise transport to Miami for onward shipment and seemed to know what do do as he imported/exported Alfas between Europe and the US, he also sent me copies of the VIN plate and the current clear title which all matched

There wasn't much history sadly, but he told me of another classic car dealer in Texas who had bought the car in 2008 from the last owner but who had no success in selling it, and had passed it to him so see if he had better luck

They at least yielded some further images which verified some of the condition, and importantly gave me another lead to follow up to talk to about the car. When I called they remembered it well, and even confirmed they had some old paperwork and bills for work done in the past, which they sent once I could prove the car was mine (really decent folks and a very kind gesture)

.....sadly the only history I have managed to establish since as I have drawn a blank when writing to the 2 prior owners

Built on March 6th of 1963, she was delivered to New York, as all E Types were back in the early 1960's and dispatched to her first owner, a Doctor based in Miami, on the 18th of March 1963, where she remained until 1976 when she was sold to the second owner on the 22nd of January that year

I have further paperwork confirming the second owner passing the car to the first dealer in 2008, so I am only the third owner, which is pretty cool...but if you want co-incidences or reasons for why this car had to be mine, this wasn't the last word ....as I found out later

It had never been restored, and as I later discovered had had just one accident, but otherwise was a straight, tired but honest old car

those iconic seats....the dash looked wrong as timber was never an option, but underneath (the vinyl) was promised the famous alloy panels

Perfect...sure it would have been lovely to source an original car with an interior and patina I could keep....but this just felt right.....and 30 years is a long time to window shop

This was July 19 of 2010

My winning bid was USD $12,599.00, which even then was a good price, now with 5 years having passed its even better

It took until October the 21st for the car to arrive at home, complications as she wasn't a driver and a delay as Costas sorted some missing interior parts for me, which got lost .....and then found......in the US post....all of which at times added stress....having paid the best part of £10K for something that only existed in pictures and telephone conversations was an odd feeling as month one rolled in to two and then into three

But all that ebbed once I knew the car had landed and aevapourated instantly as I got the call from Melvin who collected it for me and said he would be with me 2 hours later

For a 47 year old girl isn't she a thing of beauty...

DDK folks have been patiently asking how the restoration has been going over the years, so now that over 5 years have passed this is the (gentle) story of my XKE, not everyones preference in vintage cars, but certainly mine, and a perfect stable mate for her younger German companion

thanks for reading, hope you enjoy the journey

Jonathan
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
mrk
DDK rules my life!

Re: E Type 888330

Post by mrk »

Brilliant...looking forward to this!
Best

Matt

2015 Bowler Defender #50
BMW M3 Touring
BMW X3
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Excellent! I'm sure the pages about to come will see another great story unfold :)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Been looking forward to this Jonathon :)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
mycar

Post by mycar »

Sub'd as they say. :)
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

About time too Mr Parr, look forward to hearing about this. One of the prettiest cars of all time!
The force is strong in this one ......
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

It's been a long time coming ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
abzadams
DDK rules my life!

Post by abzadams »

thought this was a Porsche forum, you'll be changing your name to Austin next :roll: (hehe!)

Looking forward to this, as Andy says it been a long time coming!
Rich

Sepia 72 2.5T/E (gone)
2004 996 Turbo
KS

Post by KS »

Love it - and envious! I still remember the launch of the E-Type making front page of the newspapers. Not often a car launch gets that coverage these days. Never driven one, but oh so want to. Hint. ;)

Looking forward to vicariously sharing the journey! 8)
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Hi guys, thanks and good to hear it's of interest....part two is in the making...;)
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
Mike

Post by Mike »

jtparr wrote:....part two is in the making...;)
Hopefully won't be anther 5 years, I've been looking forward to this!
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
KS

Post by KS »

Mike wrote:Hopefully won't be anther 5 years, I've been looking forward to this!
You can talk... :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Mike

Post by Mike »

KS wrote:You can talk... :lol:
6 years for me, at least I kept everyone updated! :lol: :lol:
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

I think we have all been waiting for this one, chair firmly pulled up to watch this

Part two, next year I heard
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Excellent. I see your plan. Draw out the story and tease everyone.
Who would do something like that?

Nice. Looking forward to the unfolding story.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/