E Type 888330

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: E Type 888330

Post by jb »

Fantastic result
Maybe we will see it on the road sometime this year
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

That looks and sounds stunning ! Great work Jonathan
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

jb wrote:Fantastic result
Maybe we will see it on the road sometime this year
I couldn’t possibly say whether ....it is potentially close to finishing and could be on the road soon.....

Or not.... 8)
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

The first visit of Sir Carter was also to attend to one other key item...that of removing the bonnet...not an easy task as removal required it to be placed somewhere else...and safely

I had read other threads on forums of frames being built, and as I had the original bonnet mounting frames I elected to put them to good use

This photo was taken the day I collected all of the trim kit...and was in the process of checking the items prior to storage.....it all looked so well made I was lulled into a sense of serene bliss it would all go in perfectly.....apart from the fact I already new certain modifications were in store......

Sir Carter was cajoled into the second visit with the promise of less damage to his eardrums and the possibility of a test drive.......

For which he needed to assist in some other mundane but critical items....

The E-type is possibly like many classic cars, in that various items must be assembled in a certain order otherwise they cannot be put back together properly

Headlining....

Before much of the internal trim can be installed the headlining had to be put into place which is without doubt a two man job

Not quite in the engine uncertainty department..but in truth the beginning of the more constantly challenging trim department

Now that might sound a little peculiar..But in truth the trim was to become a series of challenges they didn’t particularly offer a second chance

The headline is a 6 mm dense foam layer faced with a soft felt fabric and, as back in the day needs to be glued to the underside of the metal roof with highly unmanoeuvrable contact adhesive

Both sides need two coats and once covered is utterly immobile once initial contact is made, so it is without doubt a two person job and to ensure that the headlining was to be offered to the underside of the roof in the correct alignment....various measurements had to be taken and an almost Heath Robinson type of temporary support mocked up in place using a very long cardboard tube....naturally...!...to get the lining as close to the steel roof without actually touching it before that final push into place, hope for the best, hope it isn’t in the wrong place .....because .....well let’s just not go there ...

Well it sure stuck like the proverbial..and was just about perfect

Item number 1 off the list......

Back to the noisy...”but not as”....noisy department

There is an undoubted pleasure in restoration projects, because it is the chance on certain occasions shall we say to actually meet people whose quality of work is a pleasure to discover and I delight to use

One of these rare people is a guy called Ian Stewart who has a one man band business fabricating bespoke exhaust systems who is based up in the north of Scotland, it only produces as much as he wants to, who doesn’t advertise anymore, he doesn’t even charge VAT, his work is as good as he claims it is, and above all is a passionately enthusiastic chap to talk to

I had procrastinated long enough about the exhaust, principally as I wanted stainless but had heard that the sound wasn't the same rich sound of mild steel tat makes the charismatic and classic sound of an English 6 cylinder engine from the 50's and 60's

Ian convince me it was twaddle and that it came down to quality and thickness of the steel involved....well...that adds it for me..

Sadly he is now pretty much retired from his business, but can be persuaded to produce exhaust systems once in awhile as he still loves the process and does it more for the enjoyment than creating a larger retirement fund

Simply a thing of beauty and fitted perfectly.......well .... it would’ve done if the damn floor pans which I bought from one of the biggest Jaguar pressed metal and fabrication suppliers located in Birmingham had actually managed to put the brackets in the right place, which I wasn’t to realise until I was on my back with exhaust under the car, and realised that I had no option but to enlarge some of the beautifully CNC cut mounting holes in Ian’s brackets… Did I ever mention how shite reproduction parts are… I’m sure I did…

Second lovely item was the radiator....a lovely reproduction copy of the original aluminium radiators that were created specially for the first 2/3 years of E Type production

I realise I have mentioned this in an earlier update, but it’s so gorgeous here it is again... :lol: 8) ....., and being aluminium should dissipate heat perfect....especially as I had fabricated my own brackets to perfectly mount an upgraded multi fan blade to replace the original propellor blade design

With me having installed the exhaust we could begin with preparation for a test run....we set ourselves

First off was the brakes...and with the two of us on the “up”.....release....”down”...tighten routine the system bled easily...and (with my modified access/bleed access points on the internal rear brake system) with minimal restrictions on access

Next was the Clutch...not a problem to begin with but after 2 pumps of the pedal the fluid would not drop any further from the reservoir tank...and there was no resistance at all on the pedal.....enthusiastic stomping on said pedal provided no change so master cylinder had to be removed....pig of a job as its an “upside down and head under the pedals to release the split pin on the clevis pin” pantomime....it had been a old git of a job putting it together..but had to be done as there is no other way to extract the cylinder from the front engine compartment
As it so happened this was all needed, for when extracted, the problem became self evident...the initial pushes had pushed the piston into the cylinder but it was too firmly embedded and would not release
The clutch and brake cylinders were re-sleeved with stainless and rebuilt early on in the restoration..and the assembly grease had dried...nothing that 15 minutes of vigorous pushing and pulling from both ends of the cylinder couldn’t fix to bed the seals in more
Total time probably 90 minutes..but by coffee time the fluid systems were working just fine...clutch seemed to work after a small amount of adjustment....excellent

so let start her up again......

https://youtu.be/xhHtYseAu8Q

she ran so well...and with just the basics of a cushion on the seat it seemed tie for a drive.......and given Barry has played so much of a part in my car’s it seemed right to let him have first test....

https://youtu.be/DYcxcCJmAAg

https://youtu.be/9ACOfD3Dfuw

Looking slightly ungainly she did the job well....

A good result ...time for tea and cakes......

....but then in the quiet of the late afternoon...we listened to the engine again and decided that perhaps all was not quite as it should have been ....

Restorations are never straightforward are they.....

https://youtu.be/ALkIRrkEtU4

more soon....thanks for looking...
Last edited by jtparr on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
Mike
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Mike »

Absolutely brilliant, well done Jon and Barry! :cheers:
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Fabulous Jonathan. Thanks for sharing the videos. Outstanding work and great to share that moment with Barry for the big moment of start up.

You will be aware that I know Ian Stewart, being local. His skills are wonderful. The last time I was in his workshop he offered to take me to his small warehouse store where he wanted to show me ‘something’. He knew I was a Porsche guy and there in the corner was a 356 convertible awaiting restoration amongst a few other interesting cars. I’m sure it was rhd but I could be wrong. It’s a year or two ago.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the finished article!

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
Ian Donkin
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian Donkin »

Superlatives just don't do this build justice! It's all incredible, but I particularly like the 'period whine' from the gearbox as it starts to wind-up down the lane... you just know that this is going to be an amazing car when it's finished, with an attention to detail that transcends even the very best.

It's an absolute credit to you Jonathan (and Barry, of course) - good luck with the finishing touches!
2006 RHD 997 Carrera (but DDK remains in my heart - also now no longer)
1972 LHD 2.4T with '73 2.4T CIS motor - gone to a new DDK home
1994 RHD 993 Carrera - gone!
1968 LHD 911L - was the Wife's but now in new hands :-(

silver911
Married to the DDK

Post by silver911 »

Loving the videos..... brilliant work as ever. Well done.
Also impressed that you are using the correct coolant in your new rad. Is that the Belgian spec stuff? Avoids the need for anti-freeze I assume? :wink:
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Great update JP :)

This will put those £300k resto mods to shame
jtparr

Post by jtparr »

Too kind guys.....

Ah yes...the correct amber nectar.....I figured that shelf at the front had to be for something... 8)
1974 2.7 Carrera
1963 3.8 E Type
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

The car looks fabulous Jonathan - congratulations to you & Barry on a superb job.

A lovely touch to give Barry the opportunity to drive it on its maiden 'trip' ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Simply sublime.......will surely be the most beautiful and perfectly restored car to ever grace the pages of DDK.

Superb 8)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

^^^ Dead right^^^

Really enjoying the whole story so far, but esp the Body Bonanza By Barry, now with a deserved Knighthood.
Love that 1st gear !
You'll know this is a real classic car every time. :drunken:
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Going to be stunning Jonathon 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
sladey

Post by sladey »

Fantastic work as usual and thanks for sharing
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah