Recommendations

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Recommendations

Post by Philw »

Hi there, after several years of stop start work on my '74 2:0 litre I have finally decided that I must ship the car to a professional to do the work. I just don't have the time, with work, family and house project mean it will never get done.
I'm looking for reccomendations from those on here as to a decent place with a mix of skills to handle the work? Most of the welding was done some years ago but I'd like a second opinion on one or two areas, the suspension & brakes are in mid swap to 5 stud, engine was in good fettle when removed but may benefit from a rebuild whilst it's out (gearbox and engine are out of the car) I'm toying with a different cam and carbs, and the interior needs refitting.
I'm in Berkshire near Bracknell. I did try a few years ago but the places like Tognola and Northway weren't interested. Hopefully, the collective on DDK will have some ideas!
Thanks in advance. I am determined that she will be roadworthy in 2016!
Phil
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Recommendations

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

It might be worth speaking to Angus at vw camper Co?
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
Porky Scratchings
DDK Fanatic

Post by Porky Scratchings »

I too would recommend Angus, Banbury isn't that far away. Alternatively you could always try Ed China, he's in Bracknell I believe! :)

Peter
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

Yes, agree with the above talk to Angus at vwcamperco I can thoroughly recommend them.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

Not had any direct work done by Angus at Camperco but popped in there about 6 months back and was thoroughly impressed with the professional setup he had down there and the quality of the work done on finished customer cars. Definitely would recommend Angus, it helps that he's also a 'bloody nice bloke'. :P
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Philw »

Thanks for the replies all. I've spoken to Angus and he is due to have a look at my 914 this week. Only downside is his business is clearly thriving as it will be a 3 month wait to do the main work, although engine can start sooner. I'm having to curb my impatience! Having waited 12 years I guess 3 months is not a big deal. I am determined that she is back on the road this summer though! Thanks again I'll keep you posted on progress.
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Anyone good who doesn't vastly overcharge will have a queue......

Tis the nature of these things.

Like builders :)