Alfa Giulietta Sprint

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Alfa Giulietta Sprint

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Since there seems to have been quite a lot of interest in DDKers' various classic Alfas recently, I thought I'd start a thread on mine …

I've owned a number of classic Alfas over the years, including a LHD '67 Giulia Sprint GTV (my first Alfa) & a '72 Giulia Super (with a tuned 2.0 engine) - both of which were used as my everyday/commuting cars in London.

However, I'd always fancied owning something from the '50's ...

I can't remember the exact circumstances leading up to it but one cold November morning a few years ago saw me flying over to France to look at a competition-prepared Giulietta Sprint located on the outskirts of Paris.

Several hours later (& after much negotiating) the deal was done !

The car is a 1959 Alfa Giulietta Sprint – originally delivered to its first owner in the South of France on Dec 23rd 1959 & kept by him until he passed away in 2002.

The car was then purchased by a well-known italian Alfa racer living in France who set about restoring/converting it to competition spec.

The bodywork was stripped to bare metal - whereupon, having spent its entire life in the S of France, it proved to be totally rust-free - & a number of modifications carried out to bring it up to LWT Veloce spec prior to spraying it 'Azzurro Spazio' (a pale bluish green).

Everything mechanical on the car was either rebuilt or replaced & the car was submitted for FIA approval (granted).

However, after only competing in 2 events (one circuit race & a hillclimb), the owner managed to finally strike a deal on a Giulietta SZ that he'd been trying to buy for ~ 10 years so the Sprint had to go to release funds for the SZ's restoration.

This is how the car looked at that stage:

In brief the spec was:

Freshly-built 1290cc high compression (11.2:1) engine based on stronger 1300 105 Giulia block & head with bigger valves, forged pistons, Veloce con-rods, hardened steel crank, Conrero billet race cams, twin 40 DCOE Webers, Veloce tubular headers, etc – all fully balanced & capable of revving safely to 8000rpm.

Fully rebuilt close ratio 5-speed gearbox & choice of 2 alternative rear axles (8/41 & 9/41 - both with LSD)

Fully rebuilt braking system with SZ 3-shoe fronts & new front/rear RMR race suspension. Original steel wheels with new Michelin XAS FF tyres.

Interior featured full FIA-spec rollcage, Ridgard seats & 4-point harnesses.

Extensive lightening included omission of any/all sound deadening & carpets; removal of rear seats; all windows except windscreen replaced with plastic (including deletion of window winding mechanisms); removal of F&R bumpers; deletion of heater & associated plumbing; etc.

Plus the car came with all of the original parts – engine/gearbox, seats, bumpers, windows, etc

A few shots taken when I bought it:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Darren65

Re: Alfa Giulietta Sprint

Post by Darren65 »

Lovely 8)
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

That's gorgeous ! What a great find.
I had a 1300 boat tail spider with standard 1290cc engine and 5 speed box. A combination
you can't beat on a winding country road. Used to change gear not because of a lack of
power, but just for the hell of listening to that exhaust singing to me.
“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Ding Dong 8)
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

They are very pretty things and really nice to drive.

Here's a pic of my brothers old Giulia Spider at Goodwood back in 2007.

1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Loved that car when you first posted it - can't believe it was so long ago now.....time flies!
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Lightweight_911

At the time I bought the car I had no garage at home but rented 4 lock-ups on the outskirts of Maidenhead approx 20 miles from where I was living – far from ideal.

Once I'd got the car over here we were into snow & gritted roads so it would be a few months before I was able to carry out any prolonged testing (the seller had delivered the car by trailer as part of the deal).

However, I was able to make a few short trips before the weather got too bad – initial impressions were:

- steering felt very heavy compared to my '73 911E/S

- windscreen rapidly misted up in the cold/damp conditions (& proved difficult to clear)

- although supportive, the seats were too bulky – &, in conjunction with the roll cage, impeded rear/3 qtr visibility

- engine was prone to oiling the (racing) plugs at lower speeds but readily roared up to the (self-imposed) 7500 rpm rev limit (the needle will actually disappear off the end of the scale – up to 9000 rpm apparently !)

- although 'only' drums all round – albeit finned alloy – the brakes were very powerful

- current rear axle fitted (8/41 ratio) was too low - great for acceleration but too frenzied in top gear

- handbrake was useless - & couldn't be applied/released with the harnesses done up

- high compression ratio (11.2:1) meant that anything but 98 octane (minimum) fuel led to excessive 'pinking'

A few more shots taken at the time:

Andy

Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Tp81 »

Lovely
DDK#694
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Love it! What excellent taste in cars...
Thanks for posting.
Cheers, Richard.
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

We had a Guilietta, XYE 9 from what I remember. Still got the workshop manual somewhere.
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

That is one lovely car Andy. What are your plans for it - any circuit use in mind? I could see it in the Fordwater Trophy one year! Best wishes, Robert
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
Lightweight_911

Thanks Robert - my original idea was that it would be good to do some form of motorsport in it but alas I've had to accept that I just don't have the necessary funds (or skill !) ...

From my initial driving impressions mentioned above I came to the conclusion that:

- the steering feel/effort would probably be improved by fitting a larger diameter steering wheel

- the misting up problem was probably a combination of having no heater & (sliding) side windows with a limited degree of opening so I may have to resort to either re-installing a heater or fitting a heated screen

- the seats will need replacing with something a little less bulky

- buying & installing a Pertronix ignitor & associated ignition coil plus switching to NGK BP7ES plugs improved the low speed running & reduced the tendency to foul the plugs

- swapping the rear axle for a 9/41 version (I had a complete spare axle with that ratio) should give more relaxed 'cruising' albeit at some cost to the acceleration

- handbrake linkage/adjustment needs looking at

- with such a high compression ratio it may be worth investigation/experimenting with octane boosters

Unfortunately various personal circumstances meant that very little time would be available in the next couple of years to work on the car so consequently it had very little use ...
Andy

bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Fabulous car Andy. Have you ever owned a bad car? :)
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Is this leading up to a For Sale ad..... ;)
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

356boy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 356boy »

very nice