Rebuild update

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Rebuild update

Post by jjeffries »

Andrew, as others have said, no words for the loss of your son, or any young person. My wife lost a brother when they were kids. Families survive and vivid memories of the good times endure, but obviously everything has now changed for you and your family. Please accept my heartfelt condolences and rest assured having read this, I'll be extra patient with my own 22 and 17 year old lads, and give them each an extra good hug tonight. John in Connecticut/USA.
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Thanks John,

crack a rib, they wont forget it:-).

All the best and thanks for thinking of me....

Last night I added half an exhaust pipe, Ill add the other tonight and post a pic.

Ill be nearly ready to install the engine apart from fuel provision. Plan A was to concoct some sort of modern EFI system, then I decided that was too complex for little old me and went for plan B - a carbs set up.

Spoke to Angus yesterday and hes in the final stages of putting a FI system together for an in house 914 and were thinking of applying the same to mine. So watch this space it might be fun.

Angus has kindly suggested that when the times right we stick my shell and engine on a truck, take it down to VW Camper and have a go at it for a couple of days. Angus knew I wanted to have a go myself but also knew I was keen to get on with it and get it finished, so its a perfect idea as I can still get a bit hands on with it. Thanks Angus thats really appreciated :-) . never know I might be able to post something that runs and moves soon.... First time in probably 25-30 years:-)

Cant wait!

thanks

Andrew
1976 914 2.0 (Orange now without Brown flecks)
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
2020 Globe Car 640 Summit
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Some pics

Exhaust is scruffy and I will probably change it at some point. I had it derusted and painted but came back grey. Still Ill only see the tip so I might colour that to blend better.

photo bucket doesnt seem to want to let me post more than 1 pic! Anyone had the same issues, or do I need to change file sharer?

thanks

Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
hot66

Post by hot66 »

give up on potobucket

I now use flickR
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Thanks will try flickR - any idea what the R stands for?

Im off to see Angus tomorrow to talk fuel injection systems... looking forward to that!

I might need bits of original FI gear to help set it up. Ill get a list and see if anyones got any spare bits.

Also my guess is if the FI system is a goer then other folk might be interested in having a look.

Cheers

Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

I'd be interested in having a look at an FI system!
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Ill take pics tomorrow and try and outline whats involved... Angus will dictate... I will scribe:-)
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

I'm currently working on a set-up for a type 4 I'm building for my wife - its a bit in the background at the moment as working on getting my BMW ready for the track season but will post some info once I get going..
I am headed down the "simple bolt on route" for it and want it to look as similar as possible to a twin carb set-up

I plan on the following..

Type 4 IDF/IDA manifolds
IDF/IDA pattern throttle bodies (reckon 40mm will work well in the 2.0 to 2.5 litre type 4 engine range - I'm building a 2270)
Standard IDF/IDA throttle linkage (slightly complicated by my fitting upright cooling conversion)
Dubshop hidden crank trigger
CB Performance cam-trigger (not necessary, but adding because i can, and they're on offer so prob about the same price as me making an alloy plug for my dizzy-hole! )
Megasquirt 2 Ecu - DIY Kit, already assembled, set-up and working
VW Coil pack - single logic coil with 4x outputs (easily hidden, cheap and plentiful if the worst should happen)
Home-made wiring harness

Like I say, I'm happy to post pics and info of the build if anyone wants to copy it / build their own once I get going on it properly
I'm happy to make more than one wiring harness if there's any interest from DDK'ers in fitting a similar set-up to their cars

Continue to follow this thread with interest :)
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Excellent we can compare notes.

On a different topic... my wife is nearly giving up on my 996 quest.

Ive spotted a 996 Gen II with 35k on the clock in Meridian Silver. Its just down the road so it would be rude not to look at it. The colour is a bit marmite, I was hoping for a blue one but Id rather get one that was low miles and in good nick. Has anyone seen Meridian Silver in the flesh?

thanks

Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
map
DDK Fanatic

Post by map »

shandyhaggis wrote:Excellent we can compare notes.

On a different topic... my wife is nearly giving up on my 996 quest.

Ive spotted a 996 Gen II with 35k on the clock in Meridian Silver. Its just down the road so it would be rude not to look at it. The colour is a bit marmite, I was hoping for a blue one but Id rather get one that was low miles and in good nick. Has anyone seen Meridian Silver in the flesh?

thanks

Andrew
Meridian Silver is an underrated colour (as far as Silver goes) - to my eyes it seems to have a hint of blue about it and appears to change tint with the light in a way that standard 9x6 silver doesn't. I'd rather have Meridian than the bog standard silver my 986 is painted.

On the mileage - 9x6 cars do not do well with extremely low miles, unless you're keen to keep the miles off by not really using it which kind of defeats the object I guess.

Seems that the lack of mileage causes the various seals and pipes to lose their elasticity and you may well end up working your way through the car replacing them. And you probably know this too but double check the tyre manufacturing dates - with this mileage it is quite possible that the tyres are past their "use by date"

That said at 35k mile a 996 should be unmarked and a lovely place to be.
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Colour looks OK to me. I prefer darker colours though. But got to be worth a look
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Afternoon, didnt go and see the car the traffic was horrendous so I ended up going the office and doing some work on my way back from seeing Angus.

This is the one...

http://thimbleendmotors.co.uk/vehicle/n ... a-2-coupe/

Mot history is very impressive, its also got a Nottingham Porsche stamp or a PCT stamp most years but with a gap between 2007-2012 where I dont think it has a stamp but covered 6k miles approx.

The engine and EFI look great. Plan is for Angus to finish the inhouse one off and prove the concept then make a list of the bits I need. Ill gather bits like airbox, plenum etc, I think Angus has some bits as well. Then Ill put the shell and the engine on the back of one of Angus trucks and off to Banbury it will go. We'll spend a weekend (or a bit longer) getting the EFI on and the engine in. Hoping we can do some other jobs as well like bleed the brakes, the sort of think Jake would have helped with. Anyway cant wait to get it turning over, it will be a massive mile stone:-). After that its relativley easy for me.

Just need to take the tank out again and fit a return line (I should have done it in the first place!) and get another fuel pump etc...

996 wise I was planning on having it as a daily and covering 15k a year for 3-4 years then putting it in the garage for a rest. So I want something that will be a good 60k car reliably after that I'll happily have it as a resto or a do it up think as the 914 will (with any luck) be finished by then.

I spoke to someone at hartech earlier in the week for some advise and it was basically dont buy a 996 or 997 unless you can afford a 10k engine rebuild, regardless of mileage or service history etc. In reflection I think its probably correct, the engine has a design flaw and even though you look after it, it can still go pop.

I think your right re the seals and pipes, Id almost prefer to get everything sorted before I drive it so its not in the garage too much. Might be better off having a higher mileage car 996 or 997 and just getting Hartech to go through it and give it a refurb... where needed...

Choices choices:-) . Im not very good at that sort of thing. Prefer the inside of the 997 but the outside of the 996 and the reliability of a Cayman with the boot space of truck. Only know the X3 isnt doing it for me.
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

Sounds like a plan with the EFI, I look forward to seeing the progress on this. Converting my car back to injection was something I always wanted to do. Obviously my plans are a bit different now.

If you're using some stock parts I have some original 2.0L fuel injection parts including an airbox and plenum (I think). Let me know if you need anything. It's of no use to me now.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Thanks Stephen that would be great. Angus is going to confirm the bits I need. I think from memory I needed the plenum from a d-jet, manifolds and fuel rails and airbox. Ive got VW converted heads so I think the 1.7 manifold would be better but Im sure the 2.0 would work as well... not sureId need to check. What model was the FI from?

thanks

Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

It was a d-jet system. I'll have to take a look at exactly what I have. Some of it will need a bit of work to clean up. From memory I'm sure I also had manifolds and maybe even the fuel rails too. I'll dig the box out tomorrow and take a few pics.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims