Rebuild update

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Re: Rebuild update

Post by Darren C »

I read this yesterday & didn't know what to say.
I still don't know what to say today, I don't think there ever is

Just to let you know our thoughts are with you Andrew.
@classiccarguru1
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Just to echo the comments above & share a virtual hug.
nrc914
DDK slapper chatter

Post by nrc914 »

Hi Andrew, having had the call on New Years Eve saying my son had been in an accident I understand the feeling however he was fortunate not to be hurt so I can't imagine what you and your family must have gone through in your situation. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Regards
Nathan

1975 914/4 1.8 (Needing Resto!)
2008 Cayenne GTS
1993 993 Carrera 2
1967 VW Beetle 1300 (In loads of pieces!)
LMR
DDK slapper chatter

Post by LMR »

Ive written a response to this 3 or 4 times but I deleted them as Darren C summed it up the best.

Heartbreaking
Porsche 964 1993
Porsche 944 1986 - sold
Porsche 914 1972
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Darren C wrote:I read this yesterday & didn't know what to say.
I still don't know what to say today, I don't think there ever is
Exactly my feelings as well. Andrew, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Thanks all.

New Years eve was my birthday. Didn't do much, Jakes funeral was on the 29th. Ironically my daughter had an accident on the same night as Jakes, it was minor just a dented bumper. The other driver who drove into the back of her didnt give his details so when the police arrived I thought they were coming to see us about that.

Ive had to deal with 4 of Jakes crashed, 2 of my daughters (including an upside down in a ditch crash at 1am) and a bump that my wife had over an 18 month period. So I have to say I was a bit blase when they police chap told us to go to Stoke hospital even though the closest hospital was Burton. It didnt hit me till we were ushered in to the private family rooms with the comfy chairs, kettle and coffee table. At that point I knew it was bad.

Im going to do the car for Jake. I might not use it or if I do it will be rare to come to a meet but its another tangible thing that I have that I can link to him.

Ironically again I bought a new 3.0 X3 the same day as Jakes accident. It was almost the last thing we had a chat about. I like your car dad but why didn't you just get a Porsche. Well Jake cos your mom doesn't like driving them and I still need a big car for the dog.

In reflection I dont need a big car for the dog, the dog can go in my wifes car.

The X3 has a mind of its own, its my first auto and Im not liking it. I think Jakes telling me to get rid and get a 996/997. Its what he would have done:-)

I might have a chat with him later and see if he agrees.
1976 914 2.0 (Orange now without Brown flecks)
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
2020 Globe Car 640 Summit
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

Hello Andrew

I have just read this and am stunned, having just bought a car this last weekend for my 17 year old to learn to drive in
I applaud you for completing the car, it must have been a very tough decision but it feels like the right thing to do, perhaps to help with some degree of closure

My thought are with you, and look forward to seeing it complete to celebrate a life cut far too short

Jonathan
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
visualfx
I luv DDK!

Post by visualfx »

Likewise JP I brought a car for my seventeen year daughter and know their be moments when I'll be thinking of the above.

Andrew my thoughts are with you and your family.

If you need anything for the car interior just call...

Best

Garry
210bhp
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 210bhp »

I’ve only just caught up with this thread. Darren has it best, there are no words.
I have no idea of your inner mental strength Andrew but it seems to me you have had more to cope with than anyone should have to cope with in such a short time. I think the best thing to say is that I am sure you will get support in any way you wish from your Ddk family. As to your own family, I wish you all the strength to come through what any of us can only imagine is a heart wrenching nightmare.
My sincere condolences.

Regards
Mike
Last edited by 210bhp on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
theorangeperil
DDK forever

Post by theorangeperil »

I’m so sorry Andrew. There are no words. I think as others have said make no quick decisions and things will take their natural path. Your words about the X3 really got me, and show your amazing strength. As others say if we can carry you through these difficult times it would be a privilege.
Peter
'69 911T UK RHD enjoying since 2002
'86 924S - Gone but not forgotten. Porsche's best kept secret...
'04 911 40th Anniversary now gone
'11 911 GTS manual of course...
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

thanks I know there are no words, not even if you wrote a book. Still, and we said this to everyone at the time, the fact that someone is thinking of you and has empathy with you and what your going through means a lot. The fact that you've all felt something makes up for what words cant describe.

Im leaning towards a 996 Gen 1. I know they're not fashionable but I had one as my first Porsche and I loved it. I taught Jake all sorts of really naughty things in that car. To be honest he didnt really need teaching. I approached the subject with my wife last night and she wasnt too happy. I didnt get to the part about having one for old times sake she just has a thing about it being a status symbol (like a 20 year old car says Im some sort of mover and shaker:-)). She thinks Porsche drivers are all 'posers'. She'd prefer it if I just had a box with a seat in it.

I try to explain that its more about what you feel when you drive the car, its not about power, I hardly drove any porsche Ive had very hard.

I might need to leave it a few weeks and let her come round. :-)

Will post some pics of engine/gearbox etc when my new nuts and bolts arrive

thanks
Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

Andrew I'm so sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
sladey

Post by sladey »

shandyhaggis wrote: I might need to leave it a few weeks and let her come round. :-)
thanks
Andrew
Good call
shandyhaggis wrote: Will post some pics of engine/gearbox etc when my new nuts and bolts arrive
Yes please
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Barry

Post by Barry »

Andrew, I've just stumbled over this. I can't imagine what you and your family are going through right now. My very deepest condolences.

I'm sure Jake would approve of you continuing with the car, if you can. As for the 996 idea, I've got a '99 3.4 manual C2, and for too long they've been seriously underrated. At last they seem to be getting some fresh recognition. Downside of that of course is that values seem to be climbing. Upside of that though is you get to try one for 'free'(ish). Anyway, now I've settled into mine, I'm very happy with it. It's very much 'the 911 thing', but very useable over distances as well. It's actually a very impressive package without being ruined by being over managed in the modern way. No doubt when the stars align and it feels right to all concerned, something will crop up.

Again, thinking of you and your family,

Barry
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

thanks Barry and Angus,

Im getting through it by keeping busy, making plans and being more impulsive. Ive decided to take some life lessons from Jake, he was very much a here and now person.

I had a 1998 R plate C2 996 and I loved it. I even liked the fried egg headlights. I also had a 2009 boxster 2.9 and though it was more modern inside, it had 19" wheels and just didnt ride or drive as well as the 996. Ive slight concerns over the IMS issue. The one I had mixed coolant and water due to a lock or a leak but it cost 7k to fix which I wasnt happy about. Still being the new impulsive person that I am now - I dont care:-)

I was thinking of this one... http://www.mortimersprestige.co.uk/used ... rera-1003/

My new X3 is an auto that changes gear when it fancies it. It stops and starts when it feels like it when pulling up, it never warms your feet, I can pull up put it in park and wait in the car for 3-4 mins and the engine starts up with out me doing anything. Its driving me nuts. My old X3 felt like you were driving something albeit a truck, this feels like your steering something with rubber bands for a steering rack. And!!!! although its a larger car than the old X3 I cant get the dog crate in the boot of this one... so whats the point!

Rant over - thanks :-)

Anyone with a 996 C2 gen1 thats passing and fancies taking me out for a ride to get the scent again... let me know:-

Ive ordered 2 castle nuts for my rear axles am I right in thinking they are M20s on a 30 mm nut (approx 20mm deep?)

No pics of the engine yet, awaiting nuts and bolts...

Rant not over - and to add insult to injury some fekr slashed 2 of my daughters tyres last night when she was at a clients house (shes a care worker)

Rant officially over now :-)

Thanks
Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d