Rebuild update

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Rebuild update

Post by sladey »

I agree - If you're going to drive a car you want to feel like you're driving it, not passengering some nanny-state eurobox. I think there's a lot more info out there about the RMS issue on the 996 now - Barry wrote a bit about it before he got one IIRC

Ridiculous slashing tyres - arseholes
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
964RS

Post by 964RS »

So sorry to hear of your loss Andrew, it must be completely devastating.

Having had two close friends lose their 18yr old sons in the last month its something I've thought a lot about recently and I've no answers or any real words that seem to have any worth.

Hope time is a healer for you and your memories are all good ones.

I've a mk2 996 C2 you are welcome to take for a drive if you are ever over Nottingham way or if I'm over yours I'll give you a shout. :thumbright:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

964RS wrote:So sorry to hear of your loss Andrew, it must be completely devastating.

Having had two close friends lose their 18yr old sons in the last month its something I've thought a lot about recently and I've no answers or any real words that seem to have any worth.

Hope time is a healer for you and your memories are all good ones.

I've a mk2 996 C2 you are welcome to take for a drive if you are ever over Nottingham way or if I'm over yours I'll give you a shout. :thumbright:
Hi Jason

Im so sorry to hear the news about your friends and their loss. I know how they are feeling, I know the circumstances are probably different but the grief and sense of loss is the same. Do they know each other? If not and they want just to talk to someone in the same boat then Id be happy to talk to them if they wanted to. Let me know if they want to get in touch. Id totally understand if not. Its a very weird feeling, some people want to talk about others dont. Sometimes I do sometimes I dont. Can change hour by hour. Anyway the offers there, let me know.

Jake has a daughter, shes nearly 3, she lives in Beeston with her mom and GM. We see her every couple of weeks either there or over here so yes Im in Nottingham fairly often. Are you far from Beeston?

I spoke to the 996 chap yesterday. The car has 29k on the clock, a service stamp almost every year and is like new. As youd expect him to say. Ive asked him for a value on the X3 to trade so Ill see what he comes back with.

Right Im off to call the nuts and bolts people to see where my order is. Ive got gear box mating to be doing.

Cheers

Andrew
1976 914 2.0 (Orange now without Brown flecks)
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
2020 Globe Car 640 Summit
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Only just seen your latest posts Andrew - I can't imagine what you & your wife have been/are going through ... as everyone has said, a parent's worst nightmare.

There is nothing any of us can do or say to ease the pain but we are all thinking of you.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

so Pugh and sanders are close on a Saturday so I cant get nuts and bolts and do the engine jobs. Ive chrome to fit but I kind of what to leave that till the end so I dont scratch it. Carpets and interior I want to leave as well. Its mind of engine next really.

Does anyone know of a windscreen fitter who knows the 914 windscreen / chrome trim and can come over and fit mine? I'm happy to have a go but Im just as happy to let someone who knows what they're doing take over to reduce the risk of me furb-ing

Also Jason - where do you get your 996 serviced? I used have mine done at PCT in Coventry but they've decided to retire! Id need somewhere I can either wait and work while they're servicing the car or where they can give me a curtesy car for a day or so....

Thanks

Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

So sorry to read this, appalling news and a terrible thing to have to deal with for any parent.

I also had that dreaded phone call from a hospital in early November telling me my 19 year old son had been in a serious car accident - he's at uni in Plymouth. I jumped in the car and dashed across - it was a 3 1/2 hour drive with the worst going through my head. Luckily, apart from being badly bruised and shaken he was ok, but his girlfriend was not so lucky and suffered a broken pelvis and internal injuries. They'd been in his old VW Golf and were hit by a drunk driver who didn't stop at a red. His car was shunted across the road into a barrier and both had to be cut out by the Fire & Rescue service. The drunk driver was arrested at the scene.

He was blameless but for two families it was a reminder how quickly tragedy can strike.

You have my condolences,

Charles
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Andrew - get in touch with stuby on here - he works for National Windscreens and has be able to organise fitters for lots of ddkers
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

shoestring7 wrote:So sorry to read this, appalling news and a terrible thing to have to deal with for any parent.

I also had that dreaded phone call from a hospital in early November telling me my 19 year old son had been in a serious car accident - he's at uni in Plymouth. I jumped in the car and dashed across - it was a 3 1/2 hour drive with the worst going through my head. Luckily, apart from being badly bruised and shaken he was ok, but his girlfriend was not so lucky and suffered a broken pelvis and internal injuries. They'd been in his old VW Golf and were hit by a drunk driver who didn't stop at a red. His car was shunted across the road into a barrier and both had to be cut out by the Fire & Rescue service. The drunk driver was arrested at the scene.

He was blameless but for two families it was a reminder how quickly tragedy can strike.

You have my condolences,

Charles
Hi Charles

Im really sorry that you had to go through that, its a horrendous feeling. Even when you know everythings ok the shock still takes a few days or weeks to wear off. Im so glad your son and his girlfriend are ok, I hope they dont dwell on it too much and just mark it down to one of those things. It shouldn't change their life

We all walk a thin line everyday without realising it, taking life for granted. After what happened to Jake its given me a big kick up the backside to make sure I enjoy every day:-) and get a 996 as a daily:-).

Thanks, all the best

Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

Mr Pharmacist wrote:Andrew - get in touch with stuby on here - he works for National Windscreens and has be able to organise fitters for lots of ddkers
Brill, thanks for that Ill pm him now.

Is Stuby his username? I cant find him in the members list under stuby...

Cheers, much appreciated

A
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
nrc914
DDK slapper chatter

Post by nrc914 »

Hi Andrew

Try this:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1278

Regards
Nathan

1975 914/4 1.8 (Needing Resto!)
2008 Cayenne GTS
1993 993 Carrera 2
1967 VW Beetle 1300 (In loads of pieces!)
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

nrc914 wrote:Hi Andrew

Try this:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1278

Regards
cheers Nathan

pm sent to stuby so hopefully he can help.

Andrew
2016 BMW X3 3.0d
964RS

Post by 964RS »

shandyhaggis wrote: Are you far from Beeston?
Cheers

Andrew
I'm out the other side of Nottingham on way to Grantham but only half an hour or so away :thumbright:

I use Zentrum in notts and they have courtesy cars...
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Hi Andrew

I have only just seen this, and totally shocked to hear your news. I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and wish your family the very best wishes. If I can offer any help with the car just let me know.

Jason is about 2 miles from my old house, and 5 from my new so if you find yourself over here it would be good to meet up again. Several of my co competitors use Zentrum and give them rave reviews, both for road and competition cars.

Hope that helps, but again extremely sorry to hear of your loss

Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
sladey

Post by sladey »

rhd racer wrote:Several of my co competitors use Zentrum and give them rave reviews, both for road and competition cars.
I have had very bad experiences with Zentrum, with nuts not done up, wings dented while doing another job and a poorly assembled engine rebuild. If you’re just doing routine servicing then they would probably be OK. Anything beyond that I would say look elsewhere. Just my opinion, based on experience.
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
shandyhaggis
DDK rules my life!

Post by shandyhaggis »

I have nuts and bolts today ! so Ill be nutting and bolting tomorrow with any luck.

Still not managed to convince my better half about the 996,... might need more time. Plus the garage is trying to trade my X3 to a local dealer for peanuts so thats not likely to fly unless there is a bit more give and take.

Ive just realised that Hartech up north is on the way to one of the offices I need to frequent in Blackburn. Ive heard good reports about Hartech so it would be just rude not to buy a 996!

Still need to work on my wife :-) bless shes sooo stubborn

Pics tomorrow!

A
2016 BMW X3 3.0d