R rated wet dream (911R, 911RS, 911RSR)

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: R rated wet dream (911R, 911RS, 911RSR)

Post by stretch »

Blimey Andrew you were not joking during our chat...... :shock: Anyway, glad to hear you might have finally sorted out the jig situation.

I had previously asked this question on the previous poster's thread, but it went up in thin air..... :?:

Dipping the shell. Would you do it again, and do they immerse the shell or surface spray this magical rust inhibitor once it is dipped.

Good luck with the build.

Dave
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
jamie

Post by jamie »

Whoa.
'68 912
redrobin911
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by redrobin911 »

stretch wrote:Blimey Andrew you were not joking during our chat...... :shock: Anyway, glad to hear you might have finally sorted out the jig situation.

I had previously asked this question on the previous poster's thread, but it went up in thin air..... :?:

Dipping the shell. Would you do it again, and do they immerse the shell or surface spray this magical rust inhibitor once it is dipped.

Dave
I've had two shells dipped - not sure if I like what I see as when we open up panels we're repairing we still see some rust where moisture or such like has got back in. We've successfully treated these areas with Fertan to stop any rust in it's tracks, but a lot of extra work. The rust inhibitor that's put on after dipping will simply wash off so the shell will start to rust again if not keep completely dry. having said all this I'm not sure if there is a better method (blasting) - really all depends on how bad (or good) the shell is? I think the only way to prepare a shell for dipping is to remove or open up all those panels that have voids in the i.e. sills, kidney bowls, front tank support, rear longitudinal panels - problem comes when your looking at cars with more than one layer of steel in one area - roof joins is another area. These have to be totally free from rust or it's a waste of time IMO? In summary if the cars not that bad I would possibly look at some form of blasting - hey but only IMO.
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD
radioboy1
Married to the DDK

Post by radioboy1 »

Wow, brave man! keep the pictures coming, I love these rescue stories 8)
stretch

Post by stretch »

Thanks for your opinion Robin, much appreciated.
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

I agree with Robin. On balance I think it was worth it for this shell but it has to be pretty bad to justify it given the negatives that Robin explains. We are having to open up pretty much every area so not so much of an issue. The rust inhibitor only last a few months. Mine has very light surface rust on it again and it has certainly never been outside or wet - mores the pity.

Robin, what was it you used ? Did you spray something in to the closed sections like the front screen pillars ?
redrobin911 wrote:
stretch wrote:Blimey Andrew you were not joking during our chat...... :shock: Anyway, glad to hear you might have finally sorted out the jig situation.
Dave
I've had two shells dipped - not sure if I like what I see as when we open up panels we're repairing we still see some rust where moisture or such like has got back in. We've successfully treated these areas with Fertan to stop any rust in it's tracks, but a lot of extra work. The rust inhibitor that's put on after dipping will simply wash off so the shell will start to rust again if not keep completely dry. having said all this I'm not sure if there is a better method (blasting) - really all depends on how bad (or good) the shell is? I think the only way to prepare a shell for dipping is to remove or open up all those panels that have voids in the i.e. sills, kidney bowls, front tank support, rear longitudinal panels - problem comes when your looking at cars with more than one layer of steel in one area - roof joins is another area. These have to be totally free from rust or it's a waste of time IMO? In summary if the cars not that bad I would possibly look at some form of blasting - hey but only IMO.
'72 914/6GT (first love!)
'66 SWB 911 (now sold but still prostituting itself as a rally car rental for HERO)
'73 911 2.7RS
'73 911 2.8RSR (some time in the near future)
'67 911R 2.0 twin plug (sometime, maybe, never?)
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

I am very sad to say that none of my trio of R, RS and RSR projects has exactly gone to plan. In fact far from it. I've not given up, but have to be realistic about what I'm going to get finished and when.

The chartreuse green RS is very nearly finished for Rally Costa Brava in a month time but big bills have mounted up and the car sets me back a lot more than I ever expected.
Although it was a fully MOT'd driver when I bought it in Feb 2015, the bodywork turned into an underside restoration setting me back close to £13k including stripping and re-assembly. After running the car for a while it was clear that the loom was well past it's sell by date, and was going to let me down when I least needed it, so a complete re-loom was order of the day for another £2k. That is on top of all the stuff I planned to spend on all new brakes, suspension, seats, harnesses, rally lights/trip/timers/etc., heated screen, extinguishers, h/e's, cut outs, new clutch, etc.

So on the bright side it is nearly finished and with a bit of luck will be rallying in Costa Brava in a month or so.

The next in line is the RSR. This has turned into a proverbial nightmare on the bodywork front. It had been having metal work done and redone for all of 2015 and eventually went for paint in Q4 2015 over 6-9 months behind schedule. This unearthed a heap more bodywork to do and several key bits that would have to be redone from scratch. Major nightmare and I won't even say how much it has cost me as it makes my eyes water :crybaby:
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what to do about it, this has all come to light in the last couple of weeks only. But I'm hopefully this will still happen. Finishing it for this summer though, probably isn't realistic so and more likely to be 2017 before it is on the road and the budget has just got a heap bigger.

That brings me onto the project that actually started off the dream trio, the '67/'68 swb R project.
I bought this ex rally car shell back in April 2014 knowing it was going to need a lot of work. I don't normally like dipping a car because of stripping off all the paint in all those impossible to get to places, but this car was so bad if we hadn't, then we would have been chasing our tale for months trying to get back to anything solid. So after stripping it down and ripping off the sills it was off to get dipped in late 2014. It came back a lot lighter than it went and Enviro-strip said it was one of the worst they'd seen. One of the only panels worth saving was the top of the rear 1/4s and they managed to bash that in getting it in and out of the tanks.
I have >60 panels bought and ready to fit to the car but it was clear that without a jig it couldn't be done.
9 months of looking myself and waiting for my body guy to get a jig I eventually got one.
The job on the R shell is massive and without the roll cage in it, it would have already fallen apart. Frustratingly it has sat for a year now post dipping just gathering surface rust while the jig was found and the RSR bodywork was completed. The job is still massive.

To top everything off Mr Cameron has decided he needs a LOT more money to pay for local services. Makes any of the numbers above seem small. This has wiped me out so work has had to be suspended indefinitely on the R.

The long and the short of this is that I need to sell a load of stuff to be able to finish the RS and to even have a prayer of finishing the RSR this year. One of those things that might go is the Celette jig as it was only got for the R and that is on hold till I don't know when.

Below are pictures of the jig and bespoke 911 brackets. They have only been used once and the jig is in good condition. The brackets are like new. It is currently holding up the remains of my R shell but that can be removed.
Send me a PM if you are interested in the jig. If it is going to go at all then it needs to go now.
With the full mobile jig bed and the full set of bespoke Porsche 911 brackets, there are also 22 blue towers
080-6 off
140-4 off
200-4 off
260-4 off
601-1 off
602-1 off
141-1 off
142-1 off
2 off extension plates
5 off cross beams
4 off cill clamps
1 off puller with new air foot pedal and hose
box of celette stamped bolts

Sales picture of the Porsche 911 brackets set
This below is not my jig but shows the bespoke Porsche bracket set in place on a smaller Celette jig
'66 SWB 911 (now sold but still prostituting itself as a rally car rental for HERO)
'73 911 2.7RS
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

Here is the RS on its way to Rally Costa Brava.
First event - in fact not far off its first drive ! I was working 24hrs a day this weekend to get it finished. Fingers crossed for reliability as I haven't been able to test it as much as I wanted.
Packed full of rally 'stuff'
'73 911 2.7RS
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Best of luck Andrew, sounds like a blast 8)

Btw, is the positioning of the gauges a personal preference?

Cheers,
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

Darren65 wrote:Best of luck Andrew, sounds like a blast 8)

Btw, is the positioning of the gauges a personal preference?

Cheers,
Co-driver keeps an eye on the vitals?

Looks great Andrew !!
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
sladey

Post by sladey »

Car looks great Andrew - especially like the skid plates
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

That does look really good. Best of luck on the rally :)
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Good luck Andrew - hope the car performs well.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Good fortune!
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
markm
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by markm »

Best of luck Andrew, hope all goes well. Car looks great
72 2.4s
96 993 RS
Series 1 DDK membership card