R rated wet dream (911R, 911RS, 911RSR)

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: R rated wet dream (911R, 911RS, 911RSR)

Post by 964RS »

sladey wrote:Can moderators look into this please - someone has obviously hacked Jason's account and is making positive postings

You don't fool us, whoever you are!

Sorry, I've edited it now :)
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

Yet another major FU on the RSR unfortunately.
Having been nearly finished, we've now decided that the rear arches are too low to accommodate the 17" track wheels and tyres I have. The will hit the inside of the arches on full bump especially when loaded up on circuit. The car looks fine but there is simply not enough vertical clearance inside the arch to cope with maximum bump with the ride height set where I need it for the track. The message is, '73RSR stylie arches do not accommodate 17" wheels, Turbo arches no problem. As a compromise I am now going to end up with a cross between the two.
The car is having to go back to the body shop to have the rear arches modified yet again. 3rd time now :(

Big disappointment for me that I probably won't now make it to Classics at the Castle in it. Does feel like yet another summer is passing me by without the RSR on the road.
The 17" Wheels look well though to go along with the Fuchs and 917 style 15s.
Particularly pleased with the centre caps which I had made with a matching Porsche crest to the one on the bonnet and on the head rest of the bespoke alcantara covered carbon seats.

PS If anyone else wants a vinyl bonnet crest like the crest in the pictures below, or some clear gel domed wheel centre stickers like the ones below (any size) then let me know and I'd be happy to get you some.
'72 914/6GT (first love!)
'66 SWB 911 (now sold but still prostituting itself as a rally car rental for HERO)
'73 911 2.7RS
'73 911 2.8RSR (some time in the near future)
'67 911R 2.0 twin plug (sometime, maybe, never?)
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)
amallagh
I need to get out more!

Post by amallagh »

It is with some regret that I have decided to abandon my 911R project earlier this week.
The RS road rally car was finished ages ago and since last writing has had a load of bodywork after a high speed glancing collision at Bruntingthorpe that could have ended very differently. The positive result is that the RS paintwork is now A1. Too good to rally really !
The 914/6GT was eventually finished early this year with its new 2.8 twin plug engine and 916RSR transmission and uprated brakes. The 916RSR transmission ended up being a substantially more complex and costly project then I ever imagined. Several times more expensive than I planned. But after a few tweaks during this year the car is now about perfect and super fast.
The 2.8 RSR has been a tale of disaster after disaster. It has been on the road since 2018 but it still isn't running perfectly. It is still a work in progress to get it running like I want.
When I started down this road on Jan 1st 2014 I never imagined that nearly 6 years later I wouldn't have completed all 3 cars I originally set out to build. As it is they have all taken a huge amount more money and time than I ever imagined and things like the '73 RSR are still not finished quite yet to my personal picture of perfection that I imagined. It looks perfect but fueling and ignition still need some work for me to be able to say it has reached my goal. I will finish this one to go along side the 2.7RS and 914/6GT if it is the last thing I do.
Rather ironically the one of the 3 I started first (SWB 911R) is the one furthest from completion. The original '68 swb car I bought in 2014 sadly had to be disposed on in 2018 after being let down by more then one bodyshop and having no where to store it. At the time another shell was on the cards but for one reason or another that hasn't materialised and I have decided to abandon my swb 911R project. This does feel a little like a defeat, but with the components of the car having littered our home for 3-4 years, then the time has come to call it a day. I literally have everything to build from a bare shell. From every bolt on and hinge panel, all suspension, lightweight interior, trim, lights, glass, wheels, tyres, brakes, steering, engine, ancillaries, gearbox, etc. And then I have spares for most of those including about 10x 6" Fuchs, about 30 motorsport tyres (CR6ZZs & D93Js), 2 engines, 3 gearboxes, several exhaust systems, etc, etc.
All this will now be sold. I have been building up all the parts to complete the car for the last 3-4 years. It will be sad to see it all go as I have sourced the best of everything and no expense spared.
If anyone is thinking of building a 911R stylie outlaw hotrod road car then I have a proverbial Aladins cave. I would be prepared to sell a job lot to someone, so if you are interested then get in touch. Otherwise I will be selling everything off individually over the next year or 2. There are literally 100s of items.
Time to finish the RSR and simply enjoy the great cars I have. My marriage will be all the better for it !
'72 914/6GT (first love!)
'66 SWB 911 (now sold but still prostituting itself as a rally car rental for HERO)
'73 911 2.7RS
'73 911 2.8RSR (some time in the near future)
'67 911R 2.0 twin plug (sometime, maybe, never?)
996TT (sold)
997TT (sold)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Good to hear some projects / cars are sorted ... sad to hear about the rsr and the R
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

Sounds like a complete nightmare Andrew!!

Nice to have cars built to your own spec and design when it works but people don't realise how much it all costs and the stress and time that can come with it all.

Sometimes it's nice to just buy a finished car that someone else has already built, tried and tested! ;) ;) ;)

Look forward to seeing the others out and about next year and hopefully the R parts sell easily.
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales