Fuel Safe Racing Fuel Cell Question

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Fuel Safe Racing Fuel Cell Question

Post by greg356a »

Hope someone can help,

I have fitted a fuel safe cell and need to weld a new filler to the top plate as below;

If I remove the plate is there some sort of encapsulated nut/plate arrangement underneath that keeps every thing in place? I dont think it will just all drop through but just wondered if anyone had tried this before? I have sent two emails to the manufacturer but nothing back

cheers
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Fuel Safe Racing Fuel Cell Question

Post by mdmax72 »

That's right Greg.

I'm no expert on these but the ones I've seen the top is just the filler plate. Once you take that of you'll see the bladder with foam inside it. You could take it of and weld it or you could weld a flat ring to the bottom of the filler neck and mechanically bolt it on. That way no heat is introduced the the filler plate, just in case in distorts with the heat??

Are you going for an under bonnet filler?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Rich,

I think you are right, but will remove the plate slowly just to see.

The plan is to go for the through the bonnet filler and the modification you said. My only issue is that the tank sits in front of the bulkhead which is more forward than original. The filler will sit more central on the bonnet which may look odd, what do you think???

The plate is around 3mm thick so if I take it slow should be ok to weld. I will need to cut the filler pipe at an angle to follow the bonnet line. Also need to remember to cut half the angle on both pipe ends so they match across the diameter. Also not sure how much of the filler cap can be above the bonnet line. Need enough to be able to undo it but not exceed the IVA limit? Any ideas what that is?

Not enough height to put a bend in the filler and move back.

Where did you get the aluminium finishing rings used on the bonnet? I guess I will need to make my own.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

Greg,

I had a handful machined up, of which Rich had the last. You can have the cad if it helps / I could 3d print one if you were going to paint it.

For IVA you may want to go with an aero filler and then swap over after?

Simon
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Using a dog bowl is a popular option with through the bonnet fillers. Here's an old thread on Pelican, it's for a 911 but maybe a bit of a help.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... ng-11.html
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Fuel iSafe Racing Fuel Cell Question

Post by mdmax72 »

I think if you leave the bonnet handle off, you'd get away with it. Put it on, wouldn't look right. Think we're just used to seeing it further back?? Dare to be different?? Or could you not move the tank back. A set back maybe but don't you just love the smell of glass fibre.

Dog bowl for a rain tray, all the way.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Really helpful info thanks guys.

Simon - AutoCad would be very helpful - cheers

Rich - Don't plan to fit a handle, but if you look closely there is a small recess for the Porsche badge near the front. What are the IVA rules on protrusions? is it 3 mm radius? Realise I cant weld the typical steel up-stand to the top of the cap, but not sure if the cap can protrude above bonnet line, which would make removal easier. I think it looks OK a little farther forward. I want to keep the tank in front of the bulkhead just for safety.

Dog looks thirsty wondered where his dog bowl is :wink:
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Shambly, if you still have the CAD for the aluminium disc that fits into the bonnet, could I please have a copy? I am looking at a very similar set up to Rich.

Many thanks

Ian