911 2.8 RSR inspired build. What engine choice ??

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

seqfal
DDK Seasoned Poster

911 2.8 RSR inspired build. What engine choice ??

Post by seqfal »

Guys & Gals

I am Just commencing a 80s Sc to RSR 2.8 build, the bodywork is mainly complete , everything else has to go back on.It is a budget focused build but is essentially a nut and bolt job. I am not an originality nut , just wish to evoke the spirit.

I would like to garner opinion on the best engine to match two criteria.
Criteria 1 is that i will probably keep the car , criteria 2 is if i wish to sell the car at a later date, which would be most desirable/saleable.

I have the following options

3.0 MFi @ 270 BHP single plug and Fuel consumption to match. This engine is up and running. (MFI is mod original TBs etc)While this has essentiall rsr cams its very roadable except on startup :~) .

3.3 MFI /TP @ 300+ ( i am assuming i can get a resonable RS Cam/ pump cam match :~)) !!!!(MFI is mod original TB etc)

3.6 @ 280+ ?? with standard induction and headers/light flywheel and 915 mod.

I have thought about efis but i am frankly old tec and i dont like the look of all the bits and bob associated on the engine especially given the look of the car i wish to build.
Is anyone in the UK running 3.3 MFi willing to admit it ?????? .Any info appreciated

The 3.6 really appeals as a practical day to day fit . while probably very civilised, i am struggeling to commit.How this might handle on the road in a lightweight shell should be interesting , anybody here able to give fedback ??

Any comments , for or against appreciated.

I will follow up with a few pics as i get into it.

Regards Mike

While a 2.8 type engine could be done , i think its just too hot for road use and far too expensive . The higher capacity engines soften the cams quite nicely while still giving the grunt and the sound.
Sadly afflicted 911 nut.
911Sc
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 911 2.8 RSR inspired build. What engine choice ??

Post by sladey »

My understanding is that the 3.6 is little or no heavier than the earlier engines. So whilst there may be issues in having a powerful engine in a light car, weight shouldn't be one of them.

There are a few pelican threads comparing weights

I always fancied going to a larger engine at some stage. For ages I was planning a 3.5. But eventually I decided I'd rather go for something that Porsche put millions and millions of R&D into, rather than try and reinvent the wheel myself. I was therefore aiming for a 993 varioram - which gives more useful torque for day to day driving. They can be tweaked to over 300 with just a chip as far as I know.

More recently, having had my (3.2) engine rebuilt by mike Bainbridge, I'm questioning the relevance of the swap for me personally - the rebuilt engine is sweet and I'm not sure how much more power I need. That may change over time......
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I have a stock (but SSi headers) 3.2 on stock Bosch injection in my 73T. It's been there for 14 years or so with it's alum gearbox. Went in after a superb mech injection 180 bhp 2.4.
Road and hillclimb driven, it is a truly great car.
Instant start after 6 months winter sleep, 30 mpg if you are that way inclined to drive, huge torque in comparison to the 2.4 and a really nice thing.

Brakes will show to be weak, but fixed that ages ago.

iirc it is 20Kg heavier than the 2.4/mag case box and at first I felt that on a tight hill climb, but never on the road.

now after 60k miles, it is normal to me, but a great combo.

You may do better to move this thread to 'Projects'?

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by haasad »

3.0, IMO . Its got more than enough power and the experience will be the closest.
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.