Olympic Blue / Silver metallic 1972 US Import 1.7L

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

LMR
DDK slapper chatter

Olympic Blue / Silver metallic 1972 US Import 1.7L

Post by LMR »

Evening all.

I thought I should put a post up as I have been lurking for a while reading all of the great work being done.

I have been a car fan (some might say addict) for a very long time. For the last 20 years, I have pretty much exclusively owned German cars. Porsches have always interested me, and 914 have been high on my list of desirable cars. 6 years ago I bought a Porsche 964 (back when they were just about affordable) , which I used as my daily driver for couple of years (not as expensive to run as you might imagine), but a change of job led to a long commute, so a modern car was bought and the 964 became a weekend car. 18 months ago I took it off the road for a six month tidy up, which I have just about finished :lol:

I like having a car other than the modern to run around in at the weekends, and thought about a 914 at that point. But I thought having two air cooled Porsches which might need attention at the same time would be a little much to cope with, so bought a 944 instead.

In autumn 2014, I started thinking about 914 again. I never seem to do things the easy way, so I started researching the possibility of importing one from the USA. I corresponded with lots of people, some seemed genuine, some less so. But I then found one on eBay which ticked a few boxes. I wanted a project, but not a basket case. I asked the owner lots of questions, and received some very honest responses. I sorted the shipping quotes and realised importing was feasible. I then got cold feet and decided not to buy the car. The bidding was to end on 30th November 2015 at around 2am. On 29th November I went to a 40th Birthday party, had a few drinks, felt relaxed, and on the way home, put a bid in. I was delighted to win it!

So, the following week I arranged shipping, transferred the money, and started planning for when the 914 would arrive. Shipping took a very loooooooooooooooooooong time, with various delays meaning the car didn't arrive until last week.

Okay, before you fall asleep, here are a couple of photos

As you can see, the car is sprayed Olympic blue. I knew before the car got here that this was not the original colour, as it should be silver metallic. It is a pretty poor paint job, with some of it flaking off.

Putting aside the paint job for a moment, I was more interested in finding out the condition of the rest of the car. I am fortunate in that I have some space in a workshop where I work on my cars, and I get occasional access to a 2 poster ramp (but I generally end up scrabbling around on the floor). I haven't had much time to have a look around the car as I am in the last knocking of finishing my 964, but I did get 30 mins on the ramp. The underside of the car is much, much better than I dared hope for!! There are two very small repairs required to the floor pan.

I had asked the seller to send me pictures of the battery tray before I bought the car. It is corroded, but the good news is it is limited to the tray, support and panel behind the battery, the hell hole is fine. I also popped the sill covers off - and was very pleased with what I found :wink:

Elsewhere on the car the interior is dirty, seats are complete, I have what appears to be a full set of carpets, I am missing the drivers door card.

Progress for the next few weeks will be slow. I have been working in every spare moment of my free time to get the 964 finished. I need to recover some cash, tidy up my work space, remind friends and family what I look like, take a holiday (Le Man 24 hour - have I mentioned car addiction?!!) and work out the sequence I want to attack the car.

I am a project manager by trade, so you might expect me to prepare a schedule. Well, I don't bring my work home, and I work on cars to relax, so I won't do too much planning at the moment. I am looking to get the 914 functioning again, aiming for mechanical reliability (I will be taking the engine out as I am unsure of its condition), structural rigidity (the welding will be done soonish), a rebuild of the key aspects, particularly brakes and suspension, and then use it with its rough paint until such time I can afford a respray back to its original colour. In the mean time, Olympic blue is similar (in my head anyway) to gulf blue, so don't be surprised if a bit of orange and some gulf stickers appear - I know this won't win me any concours points, and I hope this won't upset the purists :? .

I would like to tell you I have the skills and work rate to match Darren's restoration. Alas you will have to be patient, and I will be looking for lots of advice.

Well, I hope that wasn't too rambling an introduction......
Last edited by LMR on Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Porsche 964 1993
Porsche 944 1986 - sold
Porsche 914 1972
DaveW
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Olympic Blue / Silver metallic 1972 US Import 1.7L

Post by DaveW »

Welcome to the fold! Love the colour and steel wheels. Good luck with the restoration. You've come to the right place. Most of us have been through the same process.
Dave Watson

'75 914 1.8 FI
'86 911 Turbo SE
'79 928 Series 1 Manual
'92 928 S4 Auto (daily driver)
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Looks like a nice one to get stuck in to. Good luck!
'68 912
Canarydelia
DDK addict

Post by Canarydelia »

The wheels do indeed look fantastic! Great to have another 914 in the locality :)
White 1975 914 1911cc on twin Webber - The werksMartini
tp_reading
DDK above all

Post by tp_reading »

Hope my import process isnt going to take as long as yours. Its currently on its way to LA, and then to Felixtowe. Hoping to see it by end of July?
Tony Parker
968 Coupe

In the past;
1 x 914/6 GTR
1 x 987
4 x 968's of various hues
1 x 996
1 x 986
1 x 944
hot66

Post by hot66 »

great looking car on the steelies 8) Look forward to seeing how the project unfolds :)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Post by glovebox »

Looks great ! Have fun ! [WINKING FACE]
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

Welcome! Just get a battery and some petrol in it
David

1973 914 zambezi green
1972 911T (lhd 71E engine)sadly sold
karmann
DDK Fanatic

Post by karmann »

Welcome to the 914 fold, as you know there will be ups and downs as there is with any car. Please check all the fuel lines and hose connections are in tip top order, should be the first port of call on any engine! Good luck
1973 914 1.7 in Alaska Blue
1984 T25 Feuerwehr Firetruck
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome, looks like you've got a good one there! :)
Look forwards to seeing your restoration progress. :wink:
@classiccarguru1
LMR
DDK slapper chatter

Post by LMR »

Thanks chaps for the warm welcome. I said in my last post that you should be patient for updates. Well, I managed to sneak to the workshop for a couple of hours tonight.

When the car arrived, it was pretty obvious that it has stood for a long time. The ignition barrel was seized and therefore I had no steering (hence why it is on skates in the photos). Also the catches at the rear of the roof wouldn't budge. I didn't know how hard to pull these, but chief popped over in his 914 on Sunday and I realised mine needed plenty of work......

As I am being patient with getting started :lol: I have resisted the urge to get on with trying to solve these problems, and instead I have been spraying the lock and catches with 3 in 1, WD40 and anything else that I have on the shelf each time I walk past the car. Well, tonight I learnt that patience pays off. First I managed to get the ignition key to turn, and then, will a little persuasion, the roof catches moved. the latter will need lots of work as they are very, very stiff. At last, my car is topless!

Whilst on a roll, I started to plan ahead. I have no idea the condition of the engine, except I know I have bought a non runner. That the engine is missing spark plugs is a fairly major clue that it won't be starting anytime soon. I don't know if it is seized, but before I attempt to turn the engine I should take precautions. Pouring diesel into bores is a well know trick, so as I had some diesel available, I thought I would use that. Those of you who have changed your plugs will know that access is tight. Getting a funnel in is tricky. What I needed was a funnel with an extension pipe. I didn't have any pipe lying around, and won't be near the workshop for the next few days, so I improvised. This worked for me, BUT I AM NOT RECOMMENDING YOU FOLLOW THIS.

The only thing I had to hand was some heat shrink

And some threaded bar

So heat shrink, bar, funnel, and heat gun gave me this (obviously with bar removed)

As I say, if you need to do this, fuel pipe (which I will order to replace the existing pipe, and some spare to add to a funnel) should be used, but in this case, it did the trick. Hopefully it will work its magic over the next few days.
Porsche 964 1993
Porsche 944 1986 - sold
Porsche 914 1972
ollieg
DDK slapper chatter

Post by ollieg »

Welcome to DDK…and congrats on the 914! Watching with interest...
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

Not sure how much benefit the diesel trick will be as it's a boxer engine although I suppose it will collect at the bottom as would any excessive moisture. It will also seep past the rings if they're stuck and contaminate your oil so be sure to change that once you've got it turning
David

1973 914 zambezi green
1972 911T (lhd 71E engine)sadly sold
914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

Welcome to DDK and the world of 914 ownership and good luck with getting on the road.

A nice looking 1.7 that looks un-molested.

Looking forward to reading about you progress in getting it back up running and getting it through the MOT.

When you turn the ignition key when the steering lock is on, push the key and turn at the same time as well as moving the steering wheel. The lock barrel goes inwards, if it doesn’t the steering lock won’t disengage.

You should be able to turn the engine by hand via the cooling fan when the spark plugs are removed. Remove the long hose from the heat booster motor to make it easier to reach the fan.
If you have poured a lot of diesel into the spark plug holes, when the engine is turned, it will come back out the spark plug holes!
Your engine bay doesn’t look like it has got very damp, so I very much doubt the engine is seized!
914 Daily driver since 1990
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

An old compression tester hose with a spark plug size threaded end and a funnel on the other is the least messy way I know of filling cylinders on VW air cooled engines.
As Kev says it can get very messy when you turn it over. I had a similar situation with my 914, stood for years & years. I used clean motor oil left to soak for a couple of weeks and a spanner on the alternator nut to turn over slowly. Depending on how much you've filled the bores it will go everywhere, seep through the tinware into all the cooling fins and onto the exhaust and eventually stink and smoke. Usually it gets inside the heat exchangers and fills the cabin with acrid oily smoke.
Just be cautious when you spin it over, plenty of paper towel to soak it up as it shoots out the plug holes :wink:
@classiccarguru1