Heated Screen group buy

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Heated Screen group buy

Post by mdmax72 »

Always good to meet up and put some names to faces.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Afternoon all,

Following our gathering I've been looking for timer relays for the screens and this seems to be the best priced I can find.

Works out at £18.50 ish with postage (which is about £1.50 saving on the one I can find on evilbay), but there are likely to be a few extra bits and bobs you can add to make the postage better value.

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/836
Splitpin
DDK Fanatic

Post by Splitpin »

These are only rated at 20amps and most heated screens will draw double that. You could use it to drive a bigger relay for current control
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Hi Splitpin

me and my friend (chris69) measured the draw from a chesil heated screen that Ian owns. We thought the same, that it would be pulling a lot of amps. My concerns was if they pull so many amps that the vw aftermarket alternators (55amp) wouldn't cope with all circuits open and would require a higher amp alternator (75amp) which would be expensive upgrade.. To our surprise when we hooked up the heated screen to the meter whilst the car was running, it only drew 5-7 amps. You have to take into account the size of the speedster screen is rather small in comparison to a new car.

When l get half an hour, l'll check the new heated screens out to see what they're pulling just for piece of mind.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
Splitpin
DDK Fanatic

Heated Screen group buy

Post by Splitpin »

It's draw will be limited by what can be supplied, or the weakest link, bad earth etc!

Was the engine running at over 2000 rpm when you took the reading?

Agreed the screen area is small