Honda NSX

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

squirejo
DDK forever

Honda NSX

Post by squirejo »

I have just sold my Honda NSX. I thought I would record a few words here as like an older 911, think the classification as an "analogue drivers car" probably appeals to DDKers. That's why I bought it.

Like most cars of this age and type it can be a struggle to find an unabused clean version. Indeed it's the only reason I ended up with a Speed Yellow GT3 and an Indigo Pearl (yellow) NSX. I mention this as otherwise, you might think me a bit of a penis. Like the number plate always did.

I found mine with a retired chap. Bournemouth. Always garaged. Never driven at night or in the rain. And yes I think a tear was shed when I drove into into the dark drizzle on collection.....3 foot thick history file, dealer stamps everywhere, lots of helpful hints including his description of "hot Honda" smell. Lets call him enthusiastic.

This is a 1996 3.0l manual targa with a gentle 35k miles und it's wheels. I didn't look for a targa particularly, but did want a manual. I am still surprised by the number of and demand for the auto NSX. The advantage of this particular model year was the fitment of the JdM gearbox which meant shorter gears and faster acceleration times, before the engine grew in size the following year.

It's a lovely thing to drive; immediately apparent, like the early 911, that the ride quality is excellent. The generous tyres and compliant suspension take care of that. But that doesn't mean the grip is poor, far from it. Furthermore, it's a very fast b-road car, that suspension compliance gladly soaking up the bumps and undulations unlike a "modern" which would try to throw you into the gorse bush.

The targa did compromise rigidity- bit of the old scuttle shake- and a drivers seat too high in the mountings for my liking. However the mechanism and stowage was genius and simplicity to use. Like the gearbox. Rifle bolt, like the original mx5. I also never got to grips with the long-arse look, albeit it certainly made it practical. The dichotomy that weighed on sales.

The car is still modern enough to use daily- I didn't- with great climate control, decent stereo, lights, wipers etc. I am a bit surprised I didn't use it more. A really good car. Perhaps not a great car. It made a good noise, not a great M-car straight 6 kinda noise. It was fast. Enough. But not intoxicating in its application of speed.

Is it crass to talk about money? Paid 31, sold 41. So it's not just Porsches which are seeing significant uplifts. Happy to assist anyone who fancies one of these in the future.

Joe
1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
Jaguar F-Pace S 3.0 supercharged.
McLaren 12C spider
hot66

Re: Honda NSX

Post by hot66 »

Looks a nice car. Hear good things about them, but for some reason never really done it for me
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

That's a great looking car ! I was close to buying a 1991 NSX a couple of years back .
Trouble was, it was in Glasgow and would have meant a 700 miles round trip. The garage said the power steering
was leaking slightly and I read somewhere that a new steering rack was £ 10,000 :shock:
I was driving on the M25 last month and spotted an NSX and a Testarossa. The Honda still looked modern, charismatic and sporty
but the Ferrari just seemed to look slightly strange and a bit dated - yet the 308 and 328 still look beautiful .
Richard
“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Nice car. Love the drive and garaging!! Good find in London.
The force is strong in this one ......
Splitpin
DDK Fanatic

Post by Splitpin »

Small world
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

yoda wrote:Nice car. Love the drive and garaging!! Good find in London.

Sadly not - my London garages are rather more 'urban decay'!
1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

Splitpin wrote:Small world

How so? Do you own one? Have you bought "mine"?!
1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
Splitpin
DDK Fanatic

Post by Splitpin »

My good pal just bought this very NSX!
squirejo
DDK forever

Post by squirejo »

Well there we go a small world indeed. The pics above are at its home for the last 2 years- the inlaws house. Here's a reassuring one of it tucked up asleep which is how it spent most of its time there as your friend will see from the mileage growth......

1970 911 2.2 S
2004 996 GT3 mk II
Renault 5 GT Turbo
BMW i3 REX
McLaren 12C spider
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

squirejo wrote: Image
Well the child in the front seat doesn't think it's very exciting......
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Biancaneve
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Biancaneve »

Nice car, my brother-in-law used to own a 1992 red coupe' before he totaled it ... nice smooth riding, very well built with top notch materials (it was caught in a flood and we managed to start it and drive away while exhausts were already covered by water). Didn't like the brakes, under-specced given the car performance. Sometimes in mid 2000s he went out of the motorway near Imola circuit, Italy, while driving at speed (about 200 km/h according the police) in the wet and he was able to walk away unaided from the aluminum space frame suffering only from shock but not physical damages. The wreck was sold to a local dismantler and later bought by a German guy for spare parts.
"The last of the wild ones"

1973 911 2.4 S "Biancaneve"
1977 911 Carrera 3.0 "Fiona"
1993 964 Turbo 3.6 "Bellatrix"

http://www.automotiveclub.eu/
http://www.no-speedlimit.it/
Splitpin
DDK Fanatic

Post by Splitpin »

gturner008
DDK slapper chatter

Post by gturner008 »

I have a 2004 NSX with 13k miles... Minter. I love it. Sold a 997 Turbo to get it. Haven't regretted the switch for a minute. So, so different to drive. Not without its 'faults'. But uber reliable.