1954 RHD Barndoor Doubledoor Panel Van.

Porsche Cars classifieds (and DDK'ers other cars that need to go in the pursuit of Porsche Paradise!)

Moderators: Helen, Bootsy

49barndoor
DDK Seasoned Poster

1954 RHD Barndoor Doubledoor Panel Van.

Post by 49barndoor »

Sorry its not a Porsche but it is one of the rarest VW panel vans in the world.
Someone might see it with a 356 motor up the rear, I just couldn't bring myself to do it :wink:

It was restored to a high standard nearly 10 years ago and I have owned it for 3 years.
Not turned a wheel in the last 12 months.

Its the oldest known bus to be originally delivered to the UK.
There is only 6 known RHD Barndoor Doubledoors (type 21F) worldwide.
This is the oldest RHD Doubledoor know to exist.

It was restored to stock spec using its original engine/gearbox and 16" wheels.
The first owner kept this van for nearly 40 years and its history is fully documented.
I have a disc with hundreds of pics that go back to the 70s and the resto was also documented with pics.
It was a Ultra VW mag feature in 2007.
Its due to be featured in a German book later in the year celebrating 65 years of the VW Bus.
Its a seriously rare old bus that should really be in a museum.
Most barndoor enthusiasts know this bus after all its been in the UK from new.

At one point I planned to get a little radical with this van but talked myself out of it as its really too nice to go down that route.
A tasteful mod I planned was to fit two pairs of cargo doors with windows but its not happened yet.
It has a genuine BeKoWa full length industrial style roof rack and genuine matching BeKoWa fold-up ladder.
A few other nice bits like a 1954 factory workshop manual (English language version) and crank start handle etc etc.
Its pretty close to mint condition but would take a weekends work to recommission.
Has old fuel in the tank and carb, Starter motor removed at present and brake fluid leaked from a rear brake cylinder.
Just trying to say as nice as it is you will still need a trailer it wont drive you home the way it stands.
The previous owner drove to Germany and back but its still probably not covered 1000 miles since the resto.
I would want £68k and would consider taking something interesting in part exchange.
Another bus? Split bug? Vincent motorcycle? 356 Porsche?
For the right deal I will do the recommission work.
Would knock off £2k if the rack/ladder/8 BeKoWa stamped clamps is not required.

A few pics from the early 80s when it moved from the original owner to its first barndoor enthusiast owner.

A few more recent shots.

Old unpretentious Lada workhorse actually takes centre stage in my shed at the mo v v v v

Would make a real nice vintage support vehicle to an early 356 vintage race car?

Happy to deal with oversees but it would be nice if it stayed in the UK.