H-Gs Project 356

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: H-Gs Project 356

Post by mdmax72 »

Looking good, so it your car, or the wife to be's car? (Special occasion)
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Hi Sladey, I'm looking at stock but will look to incorporate a few modern twists which will improve on the driving experience but also reflect my own take on a few things. So will look at the self-illuminating number plates and leave the up-lighter off. Running lights but that will be incorporated within the headlights, heated seats and a few other touches.

Thing is I can walk into my Cave and I can see the finished car already sitting there.
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Over the last couple of weeks I have to admit that I've not felt the love for Porky Porsche but took the day off to bond once again. After dismantling a wardrobe (making way for a built in wardrobe) and copious coffee I once again entered The Cave. After about 30 mins of sitting and contemplating what needed to be done and how to tackle it I made a start; after another cuppa of course.

I had done some work to the rear bumper ahead of today but not taken the plunge and drilled into the body. After measuring, more measuring, checking with a spirit level, another coffee and measuring some more, the drill said hullo to the body and we ended up with this -

H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

On a roll, and full of energy (caffeine) I got to measuring a bunch more and once again drill met body and we had this -

H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

With the above sorted I started on the engine cover. First off was to sand away the grill holes so that the grills fitted. I had to take more off than expected so I'll have to lay up some more GRP on the back to reinforce the centre support. At the same time I'll craft a holder so that I can fit a high level brake light behind the grills. I then needed to drill the hinges and fit the lid so that it opens etc. With the brackets fitted and a few washers in place to raise the lid, the drill and body became acquainted once more. A lot more work is needed to get the mechanism right and the fit level with the body, but the day ended with the rear of the car looking like this -

H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Hey mdmax72, just noticed that I never replied to your query - undecided. Thing is, if I give it away, then I'll be force to build another for myself......
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

The twin grill looks great. :) Just wondered what type of brackets did you use to fix the bumpers? Its one of the million jobs on the list which I need to do, so any tips appreciated.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Hi Greg, no brackets as such, just two lengths of M10 threaded bar and 4 nuts is all that s holding it on at the moment; you can just make out the nuts in the small recesses in the bumper. The bumper has an undertray so it also attached to the rear valance to provide additional stability. For the final fit, I am looking to use stainless bolts so that the heads are fixed where they recess I to the bumper, and make a stainless spacer tube up so that the bumper stays at given distance. I'll probably use 3 or 4 dzus fasteners between the under tray and valance as well to make sure that it cannot twist or move.
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi H-G, simple solutions are best. Are you going to use the bumper aluminium trim to cover the recessed bolt heads?
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Yup, I have a front and rear set in the loft of The Cave ready to fit. I'm thinking that I'll wait until post IVA to fit all of the trims etc so that I reduce any possibility that they cause challenges during the test. I won't even drill the holes for the trim so there's not possibility of queries or questions regarding the large number of holes all over the bodywork.

I'm event thinking of leaving the windscreen off so there's no problems regarding demisting or radius's on the wiper or washer mechanisms.

My biggest headache is how to get around the fuel filler part of the IVA and whether to do a temp filler fit, or see if a 911 filler flap ensembles can be made to work and not look out of place on the wing.
oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

Great work HG could you have the filler behind the head light ? the light could be on a hinge ? so no cutting of wings ? :roll:
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

I'm liking the thinking there Oliver and will now wake up in the middle of the night with this running around my head! Is this something that you have done and if so, can you share the thinking and plans?
Splitpin
DDK Fanatic

Post by Splitpin »

Looking good, on mine I used beetle bumper irons but mine does not have a SC chassis
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

oliver365 wrote:Great work HG could you have the filler behind the head light ? the light could be on a hinge ? so no cutting of wings ? :roll:
Only problem is the light is lower than the tank.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

I noticed that when I went to the garage this morning mdmax, however if this were to be used with a cut-down or temporary tank, would it work? Kind of thinking a motorcycle tank in the spare wheel well as a temp measure and blank off the opening for the regular fuel tank with a piece of thin plywood.

Alternatively, a similar kind of thing (motorcycle tank) in the space between the back seats and the engine firewall with an aero cap on the bodywork between the engine lid and the hood. An easier run of filler pipes and easier to fill the hole after IVA as there is only one layer of GRP to cut into rather than two (Outer and Inner wing)?

It just needs to get us through the IVA as I am guessing that most people will revert back to the either an outlaw hole in the bonnet or the filler in the luggage area once those particular hoops have been jumped through.