H-Gs Project 356

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

H-G
DDK addict

Re: H-Gs Project 356

Post by H-G »

A productive cave weekend with a little help from a willing volunteer.

I now have working instruments with all lights and working lights working as they should. Took me a while to fathom out why the indicator warning light would continually flash, however a revisit of the diagram shows that it has a switch live feed and earthed through the indicators. Also have a working speedo (managed a top speed of 20mph). Courtesy lights for each footwell with a 'lights on' audio warning if I open the drivers doors with the lights on.

One more weekend like this one and I think we will be ready to take the completed loom out and wrap it.

while I was working electrical magic, my helper got busy with saws and files and has fitted the drivers side door retaining strap. A 6mm think piece of aluminium acts as a spreader behind the fibreglass and will be bonded into place when I open a tub of PU. This will keep them in the right place when the doorcards go on.

Still on the electrical to do list:

Start button
Connect the fuel pump
Connect the brake reservoir
Earth the seats
Earth for windscreen
Change the high level brake light
Remove and wrap the loom
Reinstall the finished loom

I've decided to leave DRLs off after spending some time trying to get them to loom right in the headlights and also thinking about where the controller would need to go. If anyone out there is thinking of fitting DRLs then let me know as I now have a proper controller going spare.

I'll look to sort a short video out the next time I have a willing assistant over to play.
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Been a while but progressing.

Since the last post I've finished the loom. All the additional items have been incorporated, the loom halves removed, taped and refitted. A couple of prods with the multimeter to remind myself of what is feeding where and to my surprise, everything is working.

In addition to the stock Speedster Clinc loom items (lights and gauges) I've added:

Heated windscreen on a 10 min timer
Heated Seats (currently powering the electric seats for the IVA)
Fog light and controller
Courtesy Lights (each side is indepenent)
Lights on Warning
Elect Fuel Pump with safety cutout
Elect Fuel Prime
Starter Button (NOS from a Lancaster!!)
Brake Fluid warning and test circuit
Handbrake Warning
Headlight Direct Feed relays
LED indicator upgrade (relay and lamp changes)

All gauges and warning lamps are working fine; the only thing I cannot test is the tacho but I am hoping to be able to test that very soon.

Focus is now on the engine bay and getting that sorted with the Filter King, fuel lines and most importantly, an engine.
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

So many little jobs just burn time! Coming on well though. Best of luck for the IVA. This year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

That's the target Gary. Renewed focus to get it in a drivable state and then begging the process of turning it into a 356 replica.
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Great thread and lots of detail 8) I’ve literally just read the whole thing but gutted to find that it didnt keep going beyond where it stops! It’s like reading a good book and finding the final chapter is missing :lol: Hopefully you might reappear at some point with an update :)
H-G
DDK addict

Post by H-G »

Evening all,

Still here, just busy trying to balance work and cave time.

It’s been a while since I managed to get some quality Cave-time however today was a good day.

With a bit of assistance I dropped the engine (again) and fitted the engine lid stays. Also managed to fit some different washer jets that stand more proud so I can adjust them to hit the windshield. Tightened rear hubs, and started to heat shrink those area that have sharp edges.

A short to-do list now.

- fit the duct to make the centre fill IVA compliant

- adjust headlights beams

- cover the sharp edges

- tune the engine

-rub down the filler so there are no high spots or sharp edges

- new tyres

- do the paperwork

I’ve a good local MOT centre so going to get the examiner to go over it with a finetoothed comb and see if they can find any issues then it’s off for the big test.

Still trying to find a way to add pictures - I’ll add it it to my ‘to-do’ list.
356V
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 356V »

Look forward to the updates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk