The Manhattan Project

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Re: The Manhattan Project

Post by AndrewSlater »

Tonight I trial fitted the first of my door cards.

The fixing holes in the door cards are laser cut, so the temptation was to start by punching the holes through the vinyl.
Instead I thought I had better check all the holes relative to my original door card. Glad I did as a couple of the holes were in the wrong place.
So after correcting the hardboard part of the card, I carefully punched all the holes I required with my punch set.

The next step was to cut out the cutouts for the '74 speaker grills. I had bought these from a guy who has had them remanufactured and sells them on the Pelican forum amongst other places. These grills have three fixing points as per the originals, whereas the door car was punch for four. Again more modifications but eventually fitted and looked good.

I prepared the door frame, making sure the door pull bar was fitted first. I had laready made my own plastic membranes ( another job for the punch set ).

I then fitted the door card making sure I could trial fit all the fittings including the ones for the door bin. I think it looks good!
Image[/url]

The only downside is I managed to dislodge the door pull bar - oh well tomorrows job is to disassemble it all to refit the bar!
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Earlier in the week I finally finished my interior.
Again I had problems with the seat covers, in that the inner seams that hold the steel wires became unstitched, so again I had to get my local trimmer to fix the stitching.

However they finally came out well.

In other news I managed to get a new windscreen fitted to replace the one I broke.

National Windscreens came to the rescue again - they honoured the price I paid 18 months ago for the original screen and better still they included fitting. The fitter Andy took a couple of hours to fit the screen and welcomed my input and assistance.

My son and I have spent a good few hours over the bank holiday crossing off the final jobs on the car.

So today I'm calling it pretty much finished, and with that I've moved it from the workshop to the garage so we move on with the next stage of MOT'ing, registering and commisioning.

Out into the sun
and finally swapping the cars around

Now I just need some advice on getting the car registered and on the road for Spring.
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

Great job. Seriously, well done. John.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

looks great 8)

The pic of the 2 on the lawn could almost be a period Porsche publicity shot for the 'new' 911 of the time 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

Lovely job, great looking car.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
jtparr
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jtparr »

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Superb effort....really brilliant there is closure on such a passionate rebuild....

Drive it....and enjoy...
1974 2.7 Carrera
(full restoration. now as an RS Touring)
1963 3.8 E Type
( 11 years in the making…………………….)
1952. XK120…the next one ……….……..)
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

lovely, really lovely!!!!
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Today was MOT day.

I was running late so had to take the car straight from the garage to the MOT centre with no chance to warm the engine up first.

The drive was a bit lumpy with a good number of stalls to add to the excitement. Somewhere along the way I seemed to lose first and third gears also, but I did get to the centre in one piece without causing too much of a stir.

So other than a couple of things that needing tweaking including headlight adjustment, we finally had a PASS :bounce:

My tester is a really helpful gent and we also checked the emissions and found the CO was fractionally higher than spec, and the hydrocarbons were also a little high so a little more fettling of the CIS is required.

Now the next step is to pluck up the courage to send off the V55/5 to get the car registered. Fingers crossed.
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Excellent! Great to see it (almost) on the road
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

What a great colour it is!
V nice looking car, just in time for Summer. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Stunning end result - congratulations!
'68 912
The Other Stu
DDK Newbie

Post by The Other Stu »

Hi Andrew

I know you've been to Bicester before. Did you go yesterday? There were dozens of 911s (and 912s) of various ages.
We aren't able to make the next Sunday Scramble, but if you ever make it, I'd love to have a look at this. I really enjoy this thread, it's an amazing car (I'm also a huge fan of the colour)
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Thanks for the kind words everyone and good to hear from you again Jamie - loving your recent update.

As for Bicester Stu, no I didn't attend ( didn't know it was on ) but one day expect to get back there.

Came home last night and was generally surprised to find my new V5 waiting for me.

That's taken 20 days from the DVLA receiving the application to the V5 arriving, with no interaction whatsoever - so could have been a lot worse.

Time to get some plates made in time for the bank holiday weekend. :bounce:
Last edited by AndrewSlater on Fri May 24, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

Hi Andrew, did you just use the standard registration application form - V62 - for this? I am presuming your car had no prior UK registration?

Did the V5 include the application of an age related plate and if so, is that changeable? i.e the log book doesnt say that the new reg cannot be transferred?

As my car is MOT exempt anyway, i dont see why i shouldnt apply now even though it is not yet complete - 1 will get the car MOT'd for peace of mind in due course!

Thanks
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Dougieboy1 wrote:Hi Andrew, did you just use the standard registration application form - V62 - for this? I am presuming your car had no prior UK registration?

Did the V5 include the application of an age related plate and if so, is that changeable? i.e the log book doesnt say that the new reg cannot be transferred?

As my car is MOT exempt anyway, i dont see why i shouldnt apply now even though it is not yet complete - 1 will get the car MOT'd for peace of mind in due course!

Thanks
I used the V55/5 form with some help from the V355/5 form. The problem with the V55/5 form is that most of the questions were irrelevant for my purposes but it feels a bit wrong leaving them all blank.
I didn't have any evidence of the registration date of the car, other than the date in my owners manual, which I filled in. They obviously ignored that and have put down 1/1/74 - but it could have been worse as they could have bounced the application.

I have been issued an age related plate and you can change the plates over if you wish, but I think the plate they give you can't be sold on only transferred.

I also missed the bullet of having to have an inspection. I'm not sure whether the inspection checks for road worthiness - maybe KS would know.

Just got some temporary plates made so can hopefully start running and fettling the car this bank holiday weekend.
Interestingly the guy making the plates commented that my V5 was of a style he'd never seen before - for a moment I thought he was going to claim it was a forgery!