Next Project

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Next Project

Post by mdmax72 »

Always liked the look of the twin stall column. So whilst i've a little time on my hands over winter, going to have ago at reproducing one for the Speedster.

Only down side is that I'll loose the steering lock. Although I'm sure I can put a few anti theft measures in place. Also the headlight flasher and main beam on the existing switch will be lost but hoping l can wire these upto one of the two stalks??

Here's what I'm after but in the Speedster.

Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: Next Project

Post by jamie »

Anyone who can tie their own shoelaces can bust a steering lock anyway.

Looks like a cool project - do it!
'68 912
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

That's what l thought. If they wanted to have it away a steering lock wouldn't stop them taking it.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

A few parts collected, sourced a couple of turn signal switches. Need to alter one of the switches for it to mate to the other. Problem is both of the main body's are threaded, so need to machine it or something to be able to put a screw through one into the other to fix them together. Same as the smaller half if that makes sense???

Ordered a new steering Boss to suit the new column & splines.

Anyone know a source to get the covers that hide the wires down each side of the column as in the top picture.
Also need to source a column clamp if anyone has one?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Steering wheel Boss has arrived along with a new Cancel ring. A lot different to the one I'm using at the moment but happy with it.

Got a new steering clamp rubber. Just need to modify it to accept another wire loom cover. Ended up using a wood Coping saw to cut it out and finished it of with a Dremel. Turned out better than l though as not had much look when cutting thick rubber. Here's a shot before and after.

Still looking for the wiring covers that go down each side of the column and a alloy clamp.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

another great addition Rich :wink: what does the other stalk do ?
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Hi Olly.
What I'm using at the moment is a beetle ignition/steering lock with a single indicator stalk. Which consists of the indicators, main beam and flasher. So on the to be twin stalk one side will be indicators and the other side I'll be wiring it up so the main beam and flasher will work of it. Nothing really being gained as for functions, just a different look.

Been looking for the knobs for the end of the stalks but at the price they're charging £45 each. Although they are cheaper over the pond but when you add customs etc still works out a lot. Besides l like a challenge. This is what I'm after.

Thought I'd have ago at adapting some. So started of with a Karmen Ghia knob (£8 for both) which is over sized but with a little turning etc shaved some meat of it to produce a similar sized knob (10.25mm x 38.5mm). So here's a Karmen knob and one I've put on a diet...

And both after a diet

Each one only took ten minutes so an easy cost saving.

Found a guy in the states that makes the column covers I've been looking for.

Again at the cost of $20 each plus shipping. Think I could do these cheaper so I'll have ago... Ordered a small piece of aluminium at a cost of £2.70 so waiting for the posty.
Last edited by mdmax72 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

your the man with the super skills :salute:
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Hi Olly
To be honest never gave a thought to the cost of this little project but it's mounting up. The cost of the steering column clamps is mad even though I've yet to find one for a Speedster(hens teeth) found a few coupes. So if l can save a few quid here and there it keeps the costs down and it'll go towards the clamp. Might end up buying a clamp for a coupe to use as a basis of a mould/pattern?

You not got anything going on with yours over the winter ?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Morning Rich, Looking good and love the idea of upgrade projects. Where did you get the column covers from? Wondered if in the future I would be able to back date my Porsche 924 stalks. :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

Hi Rich got loads to do but not got the getup & go :roll: looking for a old BMW 1602 for my sons first whip now as my next project :? only thing av done is put a timeless reg on number one :wink:
have a great christmas yall
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Hi Olly,
nice choice 1602, brings back good times l had in one till it got rear ended... Like the plate to, in my wish list :wink:

Greg
Found a guy in the states that makes the column covers but decided to make my own over the Christmas hols. Call it garage therapy ... :lol: Here they are total cost £2.70 :cheers:

Rich

DDK Member 0547

sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by sladey »

Nice work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

good job Rich :wink: nice bit of oak ! did you have any issues with the BM ?
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

oliver365 wrote:good job Rich :wink: nice bit of oak ! did you have any issues with the BM ?
No probs with the Bm, just fancied a little woodwork along side the metalwork. Besides nothing like the smell of oak being cut. Gives the garage a different aroma for a while :wink:

Anyway got alittle more done. Managed to couple up the two halfs of the turn signal switches. End up drilling one half with a mill end the accept the screw head as the other half is threaded. Took a little doing as the the body thickness is thin. Managed to chip the fresh paint putting them together to, used the wrong size screwdriver... Must put them higher so kids can't get them :wink:

And here's all the bits together on the column. Just need to put my hand in the pocket and buy a steering column clamp... :(

Rich

DDK Member 0547