Re: 914 engine core, strip and rebuild

Post by oliver365 »

:salute: 8) nice work Rich
another good job :wink:
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Yep very neat and tidy....What oil thermostat did you go with as even with no oil pressure on my Empi one it is weaping oil out off the bottom and there does not appear to be an easy way to seal it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Spyder-finder
DDK Fanatic

Post by Spyder-finder »

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said "Empi" Rob.
Ditch it and get a Mocal OT2.
RS60, 550, 356 Speedster, 356 outlaw coupe, KTM RC8 and 1955 Norton Dominator 88

Why tip toe through life only to arrive safely at death!
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Oil Cooler frames back from the welder. The last few evenings I've managed to get the last few pipes cut, bent and flared. Everything is now installed, just need to strip it all down flush the pipes out and re assemble it all for the final fit.

Just waiting for the manifold to come back so l get it fired up to test it. Track evening is booked for the 10th July so it's been a last minute modification in the nick of time.

Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Been awhile since last post. Been disheartened with not being able to post pics. Giving postimage a go. Thanks for recommending Keith.??

So a quick update.

Exhaust came back just in time for track day, fitted and impressed with the ceramic coating regarding heat etc. Did give a strange smell for a few heat cycles. Car ran good round the track apart from driver not having big balls to push the car to its potential. Didn't help with tyre pressures to low and l forgot to alter/stiffen the shocks to suit the track. You could say l was alittle un prepared if honest. All in all it was a good experience learning the track etc. I did get black flagged in the final session, due to exhaust being alittle to high (102db's) just as l was getting more confident. Track limit was 99 db's. One thing l noticed was trying to do toe heel with the vw set up was a joke. Something to think about anyway. Here's a pic.

After doing some fettleling under the car l notice the rear brake caliper has been hitting one of the oil pipes going to the Oil Coolers up front.

Difficult to see in pic but lucky escape, if this ruptured I'd have toasted the engine I'm sure. New pipe made and choose another route just in case.
Last edited by mdmax72 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Hi Rich,
That would have been heartbreaking and expensive, dumping oil all over the track and then dealing with an engine melt down!

generally did the engine feel more powerful?

Picture looks great. :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

It felt good to let loose legally, that is Greg
Rich

DDK Member 0547

mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Not much been going on with the car apart from changing the distributor.

On the rolling road session it was mentioned the Mallory distributor curve may need adjusting. Looked into getting some different springs and advance keys but nothing is available until further notice either from here or the US. So decided to swop it out fro a 123 tune+. Good thing with this is that adjusting the curve etc is done via your phone or laptop etc once you download the App.

Anyway since lt was installed it it has knocked out my tacho?? Strange or maybe just a coincidence?? Tried a 914 tacho in place and it works so nothing to do with the wiring at least.
My Tacho is in the hands of Ralph at North Hollywood Speedo’s so just waiting to see what he as found to be the problem. I have to say I’m impressed with Ralph. He offered to send me a Tacho to try to make sure the wiring etc was all good. Not many places would do that I’m sure.

I’ve had another rolling road session booked for a while (this Wed 6th) to set the curve up on the distributor and have another play with whatever else. After speaking to the rolling road guys he assured me it not a problem and looks like l’ll be going without the Tacho. I’ll let you know how l get on ;-)
Rich

DDK Member 0547

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Might not be relevant but I had to run a large ballast resistor on the Mallory Distributor in my 356 Coupe which runs a 1776 type 1. Initially I did not and it caused the whole thing to die. Still a phone programmable distributor sounds great! Look forward to the power curve graph :)
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
sanjay
DDK slapper chatter

Post by sanjay »

May I ask which rolling road you are using and would you recommend them to set up some webber carbs ?

Best

Sanjay
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Sanjay

the Guy’s I’m useing are located in Alfreton Derbyshire. Not sure how far afield that is from you. My first session saw good improvements and I’ll let you know more after the second session on Wednesday. They have done an early 911 before mine, so can’t see why they wouldn’t do yours. I’ll ask anyway. What is the problem with it?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

sanjay
DDK slapper chatter

Post by sanjay »

Hi Rich,

I have a 914 on Webber's that will need setting up.

Best

Sanjay
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Sanjay

Should be fine then. What size Weber’s are you running and what Cc’s Standard or hotted up?
Rich

DDK Member 0547