1971T Coupe LHD Sporto - Burgundy - US Import

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Joelipol
Married to the DDK

1971T Coupe LHD Sporto - Burgundy - US Import

Post by Joelipol »

roadiesean wrote:Joel, your dash and recovered panels look incredible. Quick (rude) question, how much was the dash to recover and how long did they take to do it including the shipping side of things ?
Hi Sean (@roadiesean), Thanks for your comments!

Refer to the pic for details on the dash... My dash was badly cracked and uneconomical to repair, the price you see is for a reconditioned original dash in Euros.

Garry @visualfx has studied it pretty closely and noted some of the techniques they used to get it looking the way it does, it would be worth contacting him, as well as that he is local!

Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Re: 1971T Coupe LHD Sporto - Burgundy - US Import

Post by Joelipol »

Dansk responded yesterday that they will not reimburse anything nor will Parts-Wise. Here is their response in case you are interested.

I initially contacted Parts-Wise with my complaint, they in-turn contacted Dansk, this what they initially came back with:
"[the Parts-Wise] ...complaint on this part is the first and they normally advise to do both sides in once."

You are reading that correctly, Dansk advise that you should replace both wings at once. Obviously I was a bit annoyed at receiving this crucial instruction retrospectively, I sent the above photos and asked them to try harder.

They came back with these shots of OE Porsche parts:

...and this response:

Basically in their view all parts are unequal and will not be a 100% match to that on the car - either Porsche or otherwise.

I do sympathise with their response, we've welded it and committed to using it when we probably shouldn't have. In my view the part they supplied isn't just a little off, it's way off. More so than the shots they sent through. I am now have to get the side repaired again at my expense.

So as a public service message just beware when using these parts, you could get duds and if you do push back before you use them!!
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

Pretty impressed with this just in from Parts-Wise...

Hi Joel,

I had a conversation with our managing director and showed him te pictures from both Dansk and your body guy.
He asked why Dansks reaction was, so I told him the full story and in his opinion there are several to blame on this mistake.
But we are also one of those, so he would like to give you € 200,- to cover some of the costs that you need to make to fix it.

For the future we will advise our customers in a better way when the would like to but Dansk products or want information about these products.
I really hope that you are able to fix the car in a good way now, like you said "Do it good or don't do it at all"
Hoping to see you as a happy customer in the future

Met vriendelijke groet/Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Martijn Bart
Parts-Wise.com
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Joelipol wrote:Pretty impressed with this just in from Parts-Wise...

Hi Joel,

I had a conversation with our managing director and showed him te pictures from both Dansk and your body guy.
He asked why Dansks reaction was, so I told him the full story and in his opinion there are several to blame on this mistake.
But we are also one of those, so he would like to give you € 200,- to cover some of the costs that you need to make to fix it.

For the future we will advise our customers in a better way when the would like to but Dansk products or want information about these products.
I really hope that you are able to fix the car in a good way now, like you said "Do it good or don't do it at all"
Hoping to see you as a happy customer in the future

Met vriendelijke groet/Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Martijn Bart
Parts-Wise.com
very honorable response 8) Praise due
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
MT
DDK rules my life!

Post by MT »

Agree with James - some credit in this sorry affair.
Dansk still smell of shite though IMHO.

Mick
'Creativity is the product of time wasted' Albert Einstein

1972 RHD 2.4E (ex Bob Watson racer - now in original Tangerine)
1966 LHD swb (Doctors car - now with Mrs. Ferrari in Madrid)
1966 TR4A (now sold and replaced by 1990 944 turbo)
1966 S2a Landrover
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

Back to the engine... it's mostly done...

Including bolting on the gearbox... actually much easier than I remember as the clutch is on the other side of the torque converter.

some cool things, @butzi made up a pipe to replace the sporto vacuum hoses that come from base of the left intake manifold. apparently not available anymore but when you have skills...

we used an aftermarket piece of braided hose for the vacuum pump...

Still need to set the 'slack' on the gearbox (a sporto thing) and a few other bits and pieces - otherwise done. Now back to the body... a saga that is unfolding as we speak...

Despite dropping £200 on a new arch my body shop is now looking to panel beat the rear quarter into shape rather than cut it out... Great. On test fitting the brand new rear bumpers only one side fits, yet a genuine porsche article fits first time... so now I need to source another genunine part to replace the dansk piece of crap. This better finish soon!
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

one way to transport an engine...

to its destination

reunited finally, both are now in much better shape :)
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

Car is moving on, albeit slower than I could have hoped for. I think I bought a bitsa and now I'm paying for it - in more ways than one...

Anyway, here are a few teasers of the stunning attention to detail of @visualfx restoration's efforts. Can-not-wait

Sensitively restored gauges in, recovered wheel on, getting there... More soon I hope...

Bathtub57
Married to the DDK

Post by Bathtub57 »

That's a great looking car you are putting together, the interior is going to look amazing. Shame about the dansk wing as the burgundy is gorgeous.
Mark Paine
A whole bunch of old VW's
1957 356
1991 964
Panamera GTS
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

@Bathtub57 cheers [WHITE SMILING FACE]️
The good news is the wing has been fixed, it is now the same as original and as good as the other side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

Getting there.... very slowly...

This one had the 'comfort pack' option thus the 's' gauges, thicker bumper trim, gold lettering - it also had optioned chromed steelies...

bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

I'm only seeing an no-entry size in the place of the images your posted in the last post :(
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
cobb911
Married to the DDK

Post by cobb911 »

bjmullan wrote:I'm only seeing an no-entry size in the place of the images your posted in the last post :(
Strange as the photos work fine on my iphone (and very good they look too) but just checked on desktop and they are not showing. Previous photos are fine though on both.

Regards
Graeme

Black 2003 996 C4S Coupe
Previously
Tangerine 1972 911T
Black 2005 987 Boxster
Grey 2001 986 Boxster S
Cobalt Blue 1991 944 S2

Member #731
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

bjmullan wrote:I'm only seeing an no-entry size in the place of the images your posted in the last post :(
Hmmm... strange - a few other forums are having intermittent issues with pics hosted by Google too. I wonder what's going on...

This link should work in the meantime... https://goo.gl/photos/skMcx4ARpqswiN4o7
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

Ta-da and here it is...

And an album to the journey...
https://goo.gl/photos/czvLsMJiXh28MPi88