70 S, RHD, Signal Orange, UK->Australia->UK

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: 70 S, RHD, Signal Orange, UK->Australia->UK

Post by BILLY BEAN »

If memory serves then Andy is correct. SEV Marchall and Motorola became one company (SEV buying Motorola I think). This combo later became Valeo. Stand to be corrected.
Rust Never Sleeps
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.

Yes, I think that the SEV-Marchal & Motorola alternators are effectively the same part - I seem to remember that the branding depended on the destination ... Motorola was supplied to the US & SEV-Marchal to ROW markets.

I don't know if there was any logic to whether a particular model got a Bosch or SEV-Marchal/Motorola alternator - both brands are listed for '69-'73 models according to the Factory's Technical Specifications booklets ...

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks.

And what about reliability and longevity? Which one was better?
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

inaglasshouse wrote:Motorola Marchal. Probably the original from the car, since that would be period correct.
Richard,
Why didn't you have your original alternator rebuilt rather than buying a new one?
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

IanM wrote:
inaglasshouse wrote:Motorola Marchal. Probably the original from the car, since that would be period correct.
Richard,
Why didn't you have your original alternator rebuilt rather than buying a new one?
The replacement is much higher spec and was immediately available. My alternator needs re-winding (not just brushes or bearings or something cheap and easy). Anyway main point is that I want to press on with getting the car run in and de-bugged while the weather is still decent.
I kept the old alternator and regulator, of course, in case I feel a need to return to original one day...
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

inaglasshouse wrote:The replacement is much higher spec
In what way the spec is higher?
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

IanM wrote:
inaglasshouse wrote:The replacement is much higher spec
In what way the spec is higher?
Hi Ian

It's one of these:
https://www.classicretrofit.com/collect ... alternator

Overkill, of course, for a standard car (which mine mostly is, electrically). But something massively over spec, with decent built-in cooling, should be reliable. Also I might add electric aircon at some point (depending on how many summer euro trips I get to do), in which case I am ready with the alternator side of things.

Side note since this is my resto thread - the electrical setup now feels quite robust. I have a lightweight high-torque starter, Odyssey PC925 battery (good on cranking amps), the aforementioned alternator. Plus headlight relays, CDI+, a few other little safety / reliability mods.
Starting is great - it spins over at a hell of a speed on the starter and fires very convincingly. All good.

Cheers, Richard.
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

You modernists! :roll: ....
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Interesting product. 175 amps? That's more than 3 times higher than the stock alternator, which is rated 55A (770 watts). The '68 sports purpose manual listed a 900 watt alternator for competition use (extra lighting etc) but it'll be nowhere near 175 Amps.

What's their CDI+ product like?
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

IanM wrote: What's their CDI+ product like?
Works well for me!
I bought it for reliability, but in my '69S I got a bit interested in tweaking the advance (it's programmable). I think it makes a big difference to how well it pulls through the midrange. Certainly feels more lively.

In the 70 car I'm not yet at the timing tweak stage (rolling road coming soon-ish), but the toy I like in this version of the CDI+ is the programmable output for the MFI fuel shut-off solenoid. First time I've driven an MFI car in which that system works perfectly. I like it.
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Sounds good but what's the minimum amperage required for the CDI+ ignition?

Starting in '75, Porsche got a more powerful alternator, rated 980 watts, 70 amps. (SEV-Marchal Motorola). Would this be good enough?
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

IanM wrote:Sounds good but what's the minimum amperage required for the CDI+ ignition?

Starting in '75, Porsche got a more powerful alternator, rated 980 watts, 70 amps. (SEV-Marchal Motorola). Would this be good enough?
Our CDI+ ignition boxes use between 1.75A at idle and 7A at 8000RPM. About the same as a Bosch CDI unit. Works fine with standard alternator.
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Jonny,

OK, thanks.

So, your 175 amp alternators are really for the electric air-con?
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Well, the first 1000 miles have been fun, and the orange car is back with the experts for a service (pull down the heads, valve clearances, that sort of thing).
It also now has a voluntary MoT. Almost like a proper car.
Wonder if the boss will allow our children in it now...

Thread closed. Bye!
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Congratulations. It looks fab. Now you have free time to get the '65 done!
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

PMNorris wrote:Congratulations. It looks fab. Now you have free time to get the '65 done!
Thanks Paul.
I did have a bit of a lull, but have now regained some project energy. Thoughts have indeed turned to the '65 car... should be under way very soon.
Hope all is well with you.