70 S, RHD, Signal Orange, UK->Australia->UK

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

jeremyg
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: 70 S, RHD, Signal Orange, UK->Australia->UK

Post by jeremyg »

inaglasshouse wrote:
yoda wrote: Thank you Richard for the transparency, very helpful. That seems pretty much what I was expecting so no surprises there apart from the extras! I think you are bang on the money and have the benefit of knowing that everything has been done properly. Look forward to seeing it.
I should have said that extras include the exe-tc suspension, which was not cheap.

In other news my loan car while the orange one is being fettled is a ratty 986 Boxster (2.7, not even an 'S').
I really like it! Does that make me a weirdo?
Granted it has been quite sunny....
Nope. You’re just being as open with your Boxster responses as you are with your costs!
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Is it denial if like me you deliberately never record any costs?
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Ralph wrote:Is it denial if like me you deliberately never record any costs?
Nothing wrong with that! Not sure my spreadsheet is the path to happiness...
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

inaglasshouse wrote:
A spreadsheet can always be found by others!
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Ralph wrote:
inaglasshouse wrote:
A spreadsheet can always be found by others!
Haha!
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

Very honest and informative stuff as always.

I have two largely original cars, never been apart, but have had paint jobs. Both are matching numbers with nice history files. They are the sort of car I have decided I like the most.

And the 911 which was bought cheap and has cost a lot to get to where it is now - I look at your figures and just go "yup" that looks about right!

Given my time again I would have bought a nice 911, not necessarily an SWB, from one of the good places (not necessarily the top end places!), a nice patinated original car (maybe in black) that I could use and not worry about.

I have many days when I consider selling the SWB!!! It has fought me every step of the way!

So much kudos to you for the perseverance and the end result!
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

inaglasshouse wrote:
BILLY BEAN wrote: I see dark storm clouds ahead. I hope this is not a forecast related to the "expert".
So far nothing major...fingers crossed.
I spoke with the expert again last night. He has finished the full check over, with particular emphasis on safety-related stuff. I collect the car on Monday.
Problems were:
  • Some loose suspension and brake bolts (my fault, or my torque wrench is under-reading). I do have a bit of a tendency to be gentle with threads, so probably me.
  • Leak from couplings at fuel tank. I knew about this one but left it to someone else, since it's a nasty job. Not entirely my fault, although I should have noticed the damage to the coupling surfaces before I installed.
  • Faulty alternator and / or regulator had fried the battery. Battery replaced, alternator upgraded to a Jonny Retrofit special, external regulator now redundant. Unless I get ambitious and install electric aircon, a 175A alternator is going to lead a very gentle life in my car! Hopefully that means it will be nice and reliable. https://www.classicretrofit.com/collect ... lternators
  • Geometry now sorted. I'm hoping it will drive rather better now...
  • Reverse lights not working. My fault, I damaged the connector to the switch on the gearbox during one of the many engine drops.
Note, things that worked include the brake system, most of the electrical system, most of the fuel system, the oil system (now).
It felt embarrassing to have a professional point out all my mistakes, but now I write the list I don't feel too bad. And it's educational and reassuring to have had (proper detail oriented) expert eyes on it.
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

inaglasshouse wrote:
inaglasshouse wrote:
BILLY BEAN wrote: I see dark storm clouds ahead. I hope this is not a forecast related to the "expert".
So far nothing major...fingers crossed.
I spoke with the expert again last night. He has finished the full check over, with particular emphasis on safety-related stuff. I collect the car on Monday.
Problems were:
  • Some loose suspension and brake bolts (my fault, or my torque wrench is under-reading). I do have a bit of a tendency to be gentle with threads, so probably me.
  • Leak from couplings at fuel tank. I knew about this one but left it to someone else, since it's a nasty job. Not entirely my fault, although I should have noticed the damage to the coupling surfaces before I installed.
  • Faulty alternator and / or regulator had fried the battery. Battery replaced, alternator upgraded to a Jonny Retrofit special, external regulator now redundant. Unless I get ambitious and install electric aircon, a 175A alternator is going to lead a very gentle life in my car! Hopefully that means it will be nice and reliable. https://www.classicretrofit.com/collect ... lternators
  • Geometry now sorted. I'm hoping it will drive rather better now...
  • Reverse lights not working. My fault, I damaged the connector to the switch on the gearbox during one of the many engine drops.
Note, things that worked include the brake system, most of the electrical system, most of the fuel system, the oil system (now).
It felt embarrassing to have a professional point out all my mistakes, but now I write the list I don't feel too bad. And it's educational and reassuring to have had (proper detail oriented) expert eyes on it.
Richard,
You are far too hard on yourself. The "faults" list is very small. You have achieved a great deal. You should be extremely pleased.
Regards,
Kirk
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Kirk
Maybe... but I do have an actual degree in engineering. I should be able to do up a bolt correctly.

It was pretty embarrassing to arrive at the garage with the suspension clonking horribly (LH rear lower shock bolt had fallen out in the last few miles of the journey).

Mind you, the expert doesn’t know I’m an engineer. Might pretend to be an art historian when I collect.

Cheers, Richard.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

I think it’s superb you have even attempted it, I doff my cap to you! I dread to think what horror stories would be discovered if I built a car and how long it would take. I admire your perseverance and think about how much you have learned along the way.

I would love to do something similar as a project if I had more free time ..... or more realistically supervise people I am paying to do it for me!
The force is strong in this one ......
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

inaglasshouse wrote:Kirk
Maybe... but I do have an actual degree in engineering. I should be able to do up a bolt correctly.

It was pretty embarrassing to arrive at the garage with the suspension clonking horribly (LH rear lower shock bolt had fallen out in the last few miles of the journey).

Mind you, the expert doesn’t know I’m an engineer. Might pretend to be an art historian when I collect.

Cheers, Richard.
The secret is out: a degree in engineering no less. Always knew you were a clever guy. Still a fabulous job well done.
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

yoda wrote:I would love to do something similar as a project if I had more free time ..... or more realistically supervise people I am paying to do it for me!
I think sir might be interested in a nice Singer? Or a Tuthill custom build? Eagle E-Type? I know a man who is doing some very tempting Dakar-style builds at the moment... Anyway something appropriate for the well-heeled individual who wants to spec a car but (very sensibly) believes they should spend their time on the day job and family, not faffing about buying parts on German eBay or lying in pools of oil!
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

you guys with your fancy spreadsheets.I havent a clue how to do those.This is how I keep records.This is for currrent Hotrod build.That number in bottom right, has long been surpassed.Dont feel bad guys,if you think youve spent a lot.Bear in mind there is no labour costs on my records!
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

£5,223 doesn't seem too bad. I haven't seen the car but seems like good value to me.
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

inaglasshouse wrote:
yoda wrote:I would love to do something similar as a project if I had more free time ..... or more realistically supervise people I am paying to do it for me!
I think sir might be interested in a nice Singer? Or a Tuthill custom build? Eagle E-Type? I know a man who is doing some very tempting Dakar-style builds at the moment... Anyway something appropriate for the well-heeled individual who wants to spec a car but (very sensibly) believes they should spend their time on the day job and family, not faffing about buying parts on German eBay or lying in pools of oil!
That sounds great Richard, just wish I was well heeled!